The Alpha's Baby

Chapter 3

I took a quick shower and dressed myself in a loose fitting, long sleeve black shirt and a pair of light colored jeans. I don't want to wear anything tight because I have a tiny bit of baby bulge. I went into the bathroom and applied the heavy mask of makeup to hide the bruises and black eye. I feel like a clown. I have to use so much to cover what’s there, I can feel it heavy on my face. I slid my shoes on and headed downstairs. I instantly smelled food cooking in the kitchen. The aroma kind of carried me there, like when Scooby Doo and Shaggy smell food and they float to the location.

Roman was cooking breakfast; I seated myself at the bar. "What are you making?" I asked him. I was starving. My stomach rumbled. I rubbed my belly. "It’s OK baby, mom will feed you." I thought.

'Or daddy.' My wolf said. I cursed her and blocked her out.

"Pancakes, bacon, and eggs." He said turning around from the stove with my plate. He was still shirtless and my wolf was taking advantage of this opportunity. I looked over his body quickly and back to his face. He smiles a smile I had never seen before. Roman hardly ever smiled. He looked cheerful by the face but his eyes were still angry. Why were his eyes always angry? What did he really have to be mad about? He has everything he's ever wanted and he's alpha. He walked over to me and put the plate down in front of me. I jumped when he leaned over quickly and kissed my head.

"Thank you." I whispered, picking up the fork. He was seriously acting strange. This is the nicest he's been in a year. I was kind of scared; this isn't the Roman I'm used to. He's really good at these little tricks. That's all it is, another trick.

"You're welcome, my beautiful mate." I choked on a bite of pancake. He ran and grabbed me a cup of orange juice. He rushed back to my side. "Are you OK?" He asked. Hell no I wasn't OK! Did he just say what I think he said?

"You haven't called me that in over a year." I said staring into his face, I was trying to read him but he was too good. He was alpha he was supposed to be unreadable.

"I'm trying Denae." He sort of groaned. He ran his hands through his curly hair. I sat there and tried to eat my food. It was amazing and all but it just wasn't sitting right with me. I felt my stomach turn a little. I put the fork down and held my stomach. The next thing I knew I was running to the bathroom, I threw up everything I had just eaten. Roman came rushing in. "Are you OK?" He asked me. He sounded genuinely concerned but when I looked up I was met by those angry green eyes.

"Yea, I'm fine." I whispered standing up to rinse my mouth out. Damn it kid! You're going to give it away before I can even make sure you're safe!

"I want the pack doctor to come and take a look at you, but I have to go out of town for a couple of days." He said he walked up on me and backed me into the sink. His body was so close to mine. My wolf tried to claw her way out.

'No more!' I screamed at her. 'That was the last time!' She calmed herself quickly.

"Can I trust you to stay here while I'm gone?" He put his hand around my throat, my heart started to pound. I thought he was going to choke me again, my body tensed up. Instead of doing something violent he just caressed the fading bruise around my neck. I nodded to him. This could be my big break! I might just get away this time! "Are you sure?" He growled stepping closer to me.

"Yes." I whimpered. I had to play this off. "Where are you going?" I asked him. He looks away from me.

"Nebraska, I have some problems I need to sort out." He all but growled. He never really told me about his "business" so that wasn't unusual, but I was glad he was going to Nebraska, that meant I could go where ever and be there before he could start looking for me.

"How long will you be gone?" I asked. He looked back at me. God! What is wrong with him? His eyes are always angry when he talks to me. It doesn't matter if we're having an OK day. His face may say happy but his eyes show hate.

"Three days, tops." He said. "If it is to take any longer I will let you know." I ran my fingers through his curls.

"I'm going to miss you." I said pretending to be said. He started to laugh.

"Your wolf will miss me, you won’t." I didn't know what to say. He backed away from me and walked out of the bathroom, and headed for the stairs. I followed him. "I'm going to give you full rein over the city. You can go anywhere you want to as long as it is in town." Pshh. Roman, Roman, Roman, the second I know for fact that your gone I'm calling Dina.

"Thank you." I said smiling a little. I was usually only allowed to leave home when Roman was with me or if I had a good excuse. Yesterday I had told him that I was going to shop for groceries but I really went to the doctor.

"Don't try to run again Denae." He said without even looking at me. He was busy packing a suit case. I sighed.

"I won’t try to run Roman." I told him. I was holding my breath, I don't know if it sounded like the truth or a lie.

"Good girl." He said turning around. He walked over and kissed me like he did last night. My insides started to flutter as I leaned in. He broke the kiss a few moments later. "I'll have a few guys keeping an eye out on you."

"Roman I told you I wasn't going to run." I whispered. Damn, it was already hard enough trying to sneak past him. I'll never stand a chance with other pack members watching too.

"I know." he said. "I just want to be sure." He kissed my forehead. "I love you." I didn't say anything, couldn't say anything. I don't know how I feel about him. Most of the time I hate his guts but sometimes I'm madly in love with him.

"You don't have to say it back." He said grabbing his things. "I'll hear you say it one day." He kissed me one more time before he walked out of the door. I heard the door slam and the car engine start. I walked to the window and looked out, I watched him pull out of the driveway and go down the road. Excitement filled my body as I danced around the bedroom.

"Yes!" I screamed. He was finally gone. I would give him an hour then I will call Dina. I went and did the dishes to pass the time; I also vacuumed the living room and took out the trash. That was the longest hour of my life. Finally I sat down on the living room couch and picked up my cell phone. I dialed Dina's number.

The phone rang twice before she picked up. "Denae?" she said. "Is that you?" She sounded so surprised. I know she had seen my number on her caller I.D., I hadn't even said hello yet.

"It’s me Dina." I said trying to smile. I wanted to cry so badly. It’s been so long since I heard her voice. I have missed her like hell.

"Oh my God!" She shrilled. She was happy to hear from me also. "How are you?" She asked once she calmed down. I fell silent for a moment.

"Not too good." I finally said. "Dina, I'm pregnant." I heard her gasp into the phone.

"What are you going to do?" she asked, I could tell by her voice that she was worried. She already knew that Roman was abusive, the first time he ever hit me she was the only person I told.

"I don't know." I said, silent tears rolled down my face. "I have to get away from him Dina, but I need help. I don't want my baby to know that evil man as its father."

"Where is he now?" She asked. I could tell she had a plan.

"He left an hour ago on business. He'll be in Nebraska for the next few days." I told her.

"I'll be over in an hour." She said quickly before she hung up the phone.

I watched TV until I heard the doorbell ring. I knew it was Dina, I remember her smell. Dina always smelled like flowers. I jumped off the couch and ran to the door. Dina looked the same as she did the last time I saw her. Well kind of, she's changed her hair color again. Her hair was bright pink and curly, the last time I saw her it was blue. She changed her hair like she changed clothes. She never kept the same look for too long. Her big grey eyes looked up at me. She had the eyes of a kitten. When you looked at her you just want say Awwww! And pinch her cheeks.

"I've missed you, Nae!" she squealed as she pulled me into a hug. She is so short, barely even 5'0. Her head stops at my stomach. People would have never guessed but she's older than me by three months. She may be older, but I'll always be bigger.

"I missed you too, Dina." I am so happy she's here. "Where's Marty?" I asked looking around the yard. She gave me a sad face.

"He's still not ready to see you Denae." she said. Marty was still mad at me. He was always bad at forgiving people. I looked down at the porch, tears burned my eyes. "Hey," Dina said rubbing my arm. "He'll come around; he just doesn't know what is going on." She started to laugh. "You know how difficult Marty is." I tried to laugh a little. We walked into the house and took a seat in the living room. We sat there talking for hours. I told her everything that had been happening here and she told me what she's been up to for the last year.

I finally got up the courage to bring up the most important topic. "Dina, I need you to help me get out of here." I gave her a serious look. "He doesn't know I'm pregnant so I have to get out of here before he does."

"Well go get your stuff and we can go." She said. She thought it was going to be an easy task.

"He's got people watching me. He said that I can go anywhere in town, which it strange because he never lets me go anywhere I please." Roman had been acting strange. Last night was the first night we had together and we didn't fight. He was giving me space I had never had before and he was trying to control his anger.

"Where are you trying to go?" she asked me curiously.

"I don't know." I told her honestly. "It has to be somewhere he won’t expect to find me." She laughed lightly.

"The only place he won’t think to look for you is Idaho." I made a face at her response.

"Gross," I said scrunching my nose. "Potatoes and cow poop." She burst out laughing and rolled off of the couch.

"It might be your best bet, Nae." she said getting serious again. "He knows how much you hate farms and stuff like that. Plus I have a cousin who is an alpha there." My eyes got big at her words.

"Do you think he will help me?" I asked jumping up off of the couch. "It’s going to be hard to talk an alpha into taking another alpha's mate into his pack."

"Give me a minute, I'll go call him." she said getting up and walking up the stairs.

Dina was gone for about 30 minutes. I had started to get nervous. What alpha would really do something like this? Nobody in their right mind would agree to this. There could be severe consequences for him if he agrees. He could lose his position by helping me. He's going to say no anyway, so it doesn't matter. Dina cut into my thoughts when she walked back into the room.

"Start packing!" She yelled happily.

"What?" I said wide eyed. "He actually agreed?" This is unbelievable; he was supposed to say no without hesitation. He must be crazy, no, he's just Dina's cousin. If he acts anything like her I can see why he agreed.

"Yup!" she said popping the p. "Now come on!" she said grabbing my hand pulling me towards the stairs.

"Wait!" I yelled stopping her in her tracks. "How did you get him to agree?" I asked her curiously. "What is the catch?" She turned around slowly, biting her lip. She didn't want to tell me what they discussed. I know that look. "Dina!" I growled.

"OK, OK!" She yelled throwing her hands up. "You'll have to help his pack with anything he asks you to." That sounded pretty simple. "And he said that if Roman were to find you, you would have to go with him. He doesn’t want to risk losing everything." I expected that so I just nodded.

"It will be fine Denae." She said trying to reassure me. "He won’t treat you any different than the rest of the pack members. He knows your situation and he understands. He's really a good guy."

"If you say so Dina." I said sadly. "I don't have many options so let’s go pack."