The Alpha's Baby

Chapter 5

We sped through town, after about 12 blocks the guy removed his ski mask. He was actually pretty cute for a human. He had short back hair and brown eyes. He wasn't very muscular though, but he wasn't tiny either. He looked over at me and I could still see nervousness in his eyes. "My name is Paul Phillips, you are?" He asked as he stuck his hand out for me to shake.

"I'm Denae Woodard." I said shaking his hand. "So where are you taking me?" He looked around to see where we were.

"I'm going to drop you off right outside of town with Cody." He replied.

"How do you know Cody?" I asked curiously. I wonder if he knows our secret? I'm not going to ask though.

"I met him at a bar a few years ago." Paul said. "We've been friends ever since. He's a really good guy, when he asked me to do this I couldn't turn him down." Cody had a lot of friends, he basically knew everyone and everyone loves him. He's a bit annoying to me but he's really good company. I owe him a lot also, there have been times where he was the only one who could or would pull Roman off of me. Everyone else just stood around watching in amazement as he slapped me around. Cody had heard me screaming from outside and he came in and tackled Roman off of me. They actually got into a fight, Roman won but Cody got through to him a little.

"Yea, he is a good guy." I said in agreement. "You didn't have to do this you know." I said watching him.

"I know." He stated. "I just don't like it when women are in your situation. If I had said no, where would you be?" He asked glancing at me.

"Stuck in that house waiting for him to come back." I replied looking at my lap. Why were all of these people taking sacrifices for me? Eventually Roman will figure out it was all a trick and someone will have to pay. I already know he's going to track Dina down. She'll be the first one he questions other than Cody.

We rode in silence. I looked out of the window and watched everything I had once known pass me by. I wasn't going to miss it really, the only thing I will ever miss about this town is Dina and Marty, even though Marty hates me. We were at the spot I was in when Roman had caught up with me. I inhaled deeply just to make sure he wasn't going to pop out again like last time. I didn't catch any scent of him. I let out a deep breath of relief.

Amazingly, we made it. We drove straight out of town without anyone noticing. He drove to an abandoned warehouse, I saw Cody's car when we pulled up. He was leaning against the hood, he looked pretty calm. I got out of the car and Paul grabbed my bag. "Told you I would get her." He yelled to Cody who was walking towards the car.

"I never doubted you. I knew you would be good for the job. That's why I asked you." Cody replied. He walked up to me and pulled me into a hug. "How are you?" he asked, pulling away from me. His gray eyes bore into mine. Cody was extremely handsome. He has strawberry blond hair that he lets fall around his face. He's refused a haircut for the last two years. Before I had found out that he had already found his mate, I had wished he would be mine. He may be annoying but he would make an amazing mate.

"Pretty good." I replied with a smile. "I will be a lot better once I'm far far away." He frowned at me.

"Not going to miss me much, huh?" He asked. I slapped his arm.

"Of course I'm going to miss you. If it weren't for you I probably wouldn't be alive." I replied. He had this pained look on his face. He was thinking of Roman, I could tell. "Oh come on," I said grabbing his arm. "Thing can only get better from here right?" I asked trying to laugh. I suck at being positive. After being surrounded by negativity for so long, it starts to rub off.

"You're right." He said. His face was back to normal now. "Now,lets go. We're on a tight schedule." I turned to Paul.

"Thank you." I said sincerely.

"You're welcome." He said smiling. "Cody, if you ever need another favor, I'm your guy." He got back in his car and was gone. Cody threw my things into the back of his Mustang and slid into the drivers seat.

"So," he said cranking the car. "You're pregnant?" He asked. He didn't look at me, his eyes were focused on the road.

"Sadly, yes." I said staring out of my window. "That is the main reason I have to get away. He hurts me enough already. I'm not going hurt my baby too."

"He would stop if he knew." He said.

"No he wouldn't Cody." I said shaking my head at him. "Roman is going to be Roman. There is no stopping him." Cody didn't say anything. I waited a few minutes before I spoke again. "So why are you doing this?" I asked turning to him.

"Doing what?" He asked.

"Why did you agree to take me?" I asked rolling my eyes.

"I wanted to." He said shrugging it off like it was nothing.

"Why would you jeopardize everything you've worked so hard to get for me?" I asked. "I just don't understand."

"Denae, all of this is nothing to me." He said glancing at me. "I lost the only thing I ever cared about years ago. Why should I care what happens to me? I'm just waiting for this life to end so I can see my mate again. If I refused to help you Casey would hate me, she would tear me to pieces."

"What happened to her?" I asked quietly. I saw him grip the steering wheel tighter, his eyes were filling with tears. "Cody, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. You don't have to talk about it." God I'm a terrible person! I cant just barge into his personal life thinking he will tell me. He wiped his eyes.

"We were reckless teenagers, always out getting in trouble. A few of our friends had talked us into using drugs, there was a werewolf there that they had just met. He seemed like a cool guy at first but after he got high he changed. I had gone to the store to steal beer. While I was gone, he started having a bad trip or something. He went crazy and attacked Casey. She was so fucked up she couldn't defend herself, plus she was tiny and so was her wolf.

He shifted on her and ripped out her throat out, she didn't stand a chance. When he first attacked her, I felt it. I tried to get to her but I was too late." He had silent tears running down his face. "When I got there he had his body thrown over hers, he was crying. He tried to apologize, said he didn't mean to kill her. He said that it was the drugs and alcohol that had caused his actions. None of his excuses were good enough. He had killed my mate, murdered her. I would never see my beautiful Casey again because of him." I could feel his anger begin to rise. "I killed him. I couldn't let him live after what he had done." Cody fell silent. I was almost afraid to speak. I could feel his emotions and I knew he was hurting.

Our conversation ended after that. We rode in complete silence for hours. I was extremely tired, I kept dozing off and my head would fall forward, I'd jump and wake myself up. I heard Cody laugh. "Whats so funny?" I asked, glaring at him.

"You're exhausted but you don't want to sleep because you're afraid you'll miss something." He said smiling. He was kind of right, I didn't want to miss anything and I was afraid Roman would pop up. He never called me back last night so I don't know where he is or what he is doing.

"I'm not that tired." I lied. I could just fall over and sleep for a week to be honest. This pregnant thing was no joke, every sense is multiplied by ten and so is the tiredness.

"You need to sleep Denae." Cody said looking away from the road. "We'll be there in a few more hours. I'll wake you when we get there." I nodded and let myself fall asleep. I knew if anybody could protect me Cody could.

"Denae, wake up!" I woke up to Cody lightly shaking me. My eyes crept open and I was blinded by the sun. I snapped my eyes shut and covered my face. I took a deep breath only to smell cow manure and and fresh pine. My stomach turned, I opened my door and puked my guts out. Well that's what it felt like since I haven't eaten since Roman made breakfast yesterday. Cody came around to my side of the car and helped me out. "That baby is kicking your ass." He stated.

"Just like its daddy." I said sarcastically. Cody gave me this look that made me double over laughing.

"That wasn't funny." He said quietly.

"I know," I said. "But that face was hilarious!" I said still smiling.

"Come on." He said. "Adam is waiting for us inside." I looked around to see the most beautiful place I had ever seen. There was a huge white house with a wrap around balcony. It looked really old but you could tell it had been remodeled. There were a few barns and stables on the land that surrounded it. There were a few cows grazing in the pasture nearby. I turned my nose up as the wind blew the smell my way. To be honest its really peaceful and quiet. There aren't any highways or cars to distract you.

"Wow." I whispered. This is amazing, I never expected myself to ever be in a place this wondrous, this beautiful.

"Beautiful isn't it?" I heard a deep voice say. I turned towards the owner, he was a tall muscular guy, he had a large scar stretched across his cheek. It made him look like a fighter, but the rest of his face said otherwise. He had very soothing blue eyes, brown hair, he also had a really nice smile. He was really hot actually.

'He's not him.' My wolf said butting in.

'Do you have to constantly remind me of that?' I asked her angrily.

'Yes.' She replied calmly. I hated how calm my wolf always was, even when I was angry she was considerable calm, and the more I hated Roman, the more she loved him.

"This is amazing." I said finally answering the man.

"I'm Adam Stone," He said walking up to me. "I'm the alpha here." I figured that. He had the body language of an alpha, only I could tell he was completely different than Roman.

"Hi, I'm Denae Woodard." I said sticking my hand out. He grabbed it and shook it lightly. His hands were rough and calloused but soft at the same time. He released my hand after a second. "Thank you for letting me come here."

"No problem. My pack is all about helping people, we will help you until we cant anymore." He replied. "Now lets get you settled in. I want you to see the doctor after we're done." I gave him a crazy look. "I just want to make sure the baby isn't stressed or anything." He said throwing his hands up. You can tell he loves kids.

I smiled at him lightly. "Thank you." I turned to Cody, I knew he had to leave and call Roman to tell him I'm missing. My eyes started to fill up with tears, I didn't want to think about how bad I knew this was going to end.

"Don't cry Denae." Cody said pulling me into a hug. "I'll be fine. and to prove it I'm going to come here twice a month to prove it to you." He pulled away and held me by my shoulders. "This is your new beginning. You should be happy!" He said smiling.

"I've gotten everyone into a big mess." I cried. "Everyone's life is going to change because of me and this kid." He pulled me back into his arms.

"Denae, we wouldn't have changed our minds of we had a time machine. Even if you hadn't asked Dina for help I was going to help you anyway. I just had to wait until Roman went somewhere distant." He said. "Either way you would have eventually ended up on this farm in Idaho."

"You're crazy." I said pulling away from him.

"I know." He laughed. "But I really have to go. Adam will take good care of you." I said goodbye to Cody and followed Adam into the house.