Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Wolves and Enemies

"Am I interrupting something?” a voice in the darkness asked. My eyes snapped opened and I spun around to find a silver wolf with familiar silver eyes looking at me.
“Vay?”
“Who else would I be? Expecting someone else?”
*A wolf?* “I just didn’t expect you. Last I knew you had to leave on some urgent business or something.”
“Yeah, you know the counsel. They always have something for me to do that is ‘urgent.’” He trotted over and sat next to me. “So what are you doing up here, Tristis?”
“I was down there in that village. They are having a festival for their goddess Nyx, who is the goddess of the night. I learned a lot today about that village’s religion. It was quite fascinating to hear all about it and why this festival takes place. It has been going on since around sunset where it started with a huge delicious feast and now they are partying. It has been a grand time. You would love it.”
“Then why are you not down there now?”
I was quiet a minute before honestly answering, “I was having a blast, but then I found myself alone. I was fine for a while but then it got me down and thinking to why it bothered me. Then a little boy crashed into me and told me I looked sad to which I said I was fine and he scampered off after his friends. After that I started thinking and walking and I ended up here.” I paused before quietly adding, “I guess I can’t escape it… I am Tristis The Sad.”
Vātēs did not say anything at first, but scooted closer and rubbed his head against my shoulder. I leaned my head against his head and rubbed his ear. “Why am I being depressing, this isn’t me.”
“Everyone gets lonely at times and depressed. It happens, Tristis, especially when the person is worked all the time and rarely sees anyone.”
“The counsel sucks.”
“Be careful, Tristis. You do not want them mad at you anymore than they are now.”
“I know.” I whispered. We ended up being quiet for a while, gazing at the village below and the stars above. “Oh guess what!”
“What?”
“I have a new animal friend.” I bounced as I turned towards Vātēs. He merely cocked an eyebrow in response. *Wolves can cock eyebrows? Anyways.* “Yep, his name is Aries and he is the best horse ever!”
“Where did you find him? Did you pick him up off the street again?”
“No! He was kind of a present from the stupid prince I was staying with.”
“Kind of?”
“Well, I was leaving to come to this kingdom and I needed a fast way of travel.”
“Go on.”
“So I… ah… walked into the stablewroteanoteshoodthestablehandawayandtookhim.”
“Oh dear… one more time. And NO muttering this time.”
“I went to the stable, wrote Carson a note, ushered the stable hand away, and took off with him.”
“TRIS! That is stealing! You know better than to do that!” Vātēs was up and pacing as he lectured me.
“He had like 50 other horses, what was one horse to him.” I pouted. “Plus he was going to use him in the war that he wants and so I saved Aries from that awful life.”
“That is besides the point, Tristis.” He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it and shook his head instead.
“What?”
He walked over to me and touched his forehead to mine. “What am I going to do with you, my friend?”
“Love me?” I grinned.
He merely laughed and replied, “But of course, there is no question about that.” I joined the laugher until he suddenly stopped and his head shot out to the side. He trotted towards the village and looked out past it.
“What’s up?” I asked as I got up and joined him.
“I do not know yet. I will go and investigate.” I nodded as he disappeared. I squinted into the darkness trying to figure out if my eyes were playing tricks on me. “This is not good.” I looked to my left to find Vātēs standing next to me again.
“What’s wrong?”
“A decent sized army of fighters are coming to sack the village. I do not know if they are from the other country or just raiders, but they are planning to attack this village.”
“We need to go warn the villagers.”
“You have to, Tristis. I cannot, first I am a spirit animal and that would not go over well and second I should be going. It is nighttime here and I should get a few hours of sleep before another stressful day. I am sorry.” He bowed his head in apology.
“It’s okay, Vay. I’m so glad you visited! Take care and get some sleep. I can take over from here.” I hugged him before he disappeared and I sprinted to the ignorant village. I ran straight through the village gates, crashed into many people, and found the bartender from The Nine Cups. “Sir! We are in trouble!”
The man turned to face me, “What?”
“We are about to be attacked by a mass amount of fighters on the north side.”
He looked at me hard and asked seriously, “Ye sure?”
“Yes, I saw them when I was on the hilltop. We have time to get ready and prepare but they will be here soon.”
“’ow long do ye think we ‘ave?”
I calculated in my head the distance they roughly were, “About an hour and a half. Give or take a half an hour or so.”
“That be not a lot of time. Luka!” A tall middle aged man rushed to his side and waited for instructions. “Raiders are comin’ to attack. Take this lass, find out as much as possible from ‘er, and warn the village. GO!” the man gave a sharp nod and waved for me to follow as we rushed through the city.
“What do you know about what is happening?”
“Not much honestly. I know decent army of men is coming to attack the village. I can’t tell you more than that since I saw it from far away.” He did not reply as he started climbing up some wooden stairs. I followed after him and waited for instructions. “Go along the perimeter of the village and start setting up bows and quivers. I’ll ring the bell and help you in a moment.” I nodded.
“Where do I get the bows and quivers?”
“See the walled areas around the perimeter? Those house weapons to be used during an attack. Everything you need will be in those.”
“Okay, see you soon. Be safe.” Then I darted and began setting up weapons all along the perimeter as men started showing up to help and prepare for the oncoming fight. I stationed myself on the north wall with a bow in hand and an arrow at the ready. You could feel the apprehension in the air and as we waited no one spoke; everyone listened for the impending beats of soldiers. Then we heard it, the soft but universal thud of feet. Luka raised his arm and everyone raised their bows and aimed. For many breaths we all waited for the signal. Once the first enemy got in sight Luka dropped his arm and dozens of arrows flew. The enemies were rained on and some lost their lives or were wounded from the unprepared assault. After the initial attack everyone fought without verbal instructions; everyone knew what to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
I go back to school in about 2 weeks, yuck X/

Cheers!