Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I Blame it on the Concussion

“Oh yer awake. Thank the goddess!” The tavern owner sighed in relief. “How’s yer head?”
“It’s pulsating, the light in here is kinda hurting my eyes and I still feel a bit nauseous. I have a concussion, right?” I frowned knowing I was right.
“That’s what I’ve gathered. Ye got a mighty goose egg on yer forehead, youngin’.” He helped me into a sitting position, steadying me when I swooned from the world around me spinning. “Be careful lassie, it’s a bad concussion.”
“Thanks, and I’ll try. How’s Anita doing?”
“She’ll be fine! It’s ye, ye should be worrying about lass.” The owner lightly scolded.
“Can’t help it, I worry about others. Plus, I’ll be fine, I heal fast. Thanks for helping me.” I smiled at the man. He smiled back when we heard a noise coming closer to us. We both turned our head to the door. “Who could that be?”
“I don’t know, lass. All the bastards be dead or in jail.”
“Well, we’ll find out soon. How long have I been out?” My eyes slid to his face as I kept my face toward the door.
“Ye were out two days.”
“Really!?” My eyes widened. *The other plane really messed with my sense of time. I never would have guessed two days passed.*
“Aye, lass. We didn’t think ye were waking up.” He went to say more when three guards walked into the room and two more took their place by the door.
“What’s going on?” My head whipped, a bad idea mind you, to the owner and he gave a ‘I have no idea’ look.
“I have come to thank you for saving my sister’s life.” A deep, yet calming voice rang through the air. The owner and I turned our faces back to the door to see an unfamiliar man in the door way. He looked to be in his late 20s or early 30s with shoulder length black hair, strong gold eyes, and wore sturdy leather armor with fancy designs on it.
“Yer… yer majesty!” The owner stuttered out and immediately went down on one knee. “It is an honar to be in yer presence.”
“Huh?” My eyes went from the newcomer to the owner, and then back to the newcomer. “You’re King Able?”
“Yes.” The man gave a low laugh. “It is a pleasure to meet you Lady Tristis Nox. As you now know, I am King Able.” He strode over to me in three strides and took my hand in his. He gently kissed my knuckles and smiled. “I wish to thank you for rescuing my sister.”
“It is a pleasure to meet you too, Your Majesty.” I was a bit dizzy by how fast everything was moving. My concussion making me slow on the uptake of things. “Um, I am glad I was able to be of some service, but who is your sister?” My mind was making no connections to who could possibly be his sister.
“She did not tell you?”
“Apparently not, I mean no.”
“What am I to do wither her?” King Able laughed.
“Worry about me even though I told you I was fine and that you did not need to come.” Anita walked into the small room and smiled at me. “Hello, Tristis. I see you have met my brother.”
“You’re the princess of this land!?” *How did I not see this coming?*
“Guilty.” She smiled apologetically.
I pinched the bridge of my nose and breathed deeply. My headache was coming back on top of my brain having to process this new information. “Why didn’t you tell me? Don’t think I’m mad, I’m just dumbfounded right now.”
“You were the first person I have met that did not know who I was, I wanted to keep it that way. I liked how you treated me like another person, instead of royalty. I am sorry.”
“It’s alright. If it makes you feel better I would have treated you like another regular person, after all you are. So you’ve got a title, big deal.” I grinned as I shrugged. Anita laughed heartily. Everyone else looked in slight horror until King Able shook his head and laughed.
“You are an odd one Lady Tristis.” King Able commented.
“So I’ve been told.” By now I was over the shock and back to my old self.
“Do you have any residency you are heading to?”
“No.”
“As a thank you, I, along with my sister, would be honored if you stayed at the palace as our guest. How does that sound?”
*This family likes to shock me.* “I-I’d be honored, Sir. Are you sure, I didn’t do much.” *This is what I’ve been praying for, but still.*
“You saved not only the princess of this country, but my sister. It is the least I can do for someone who seems to have no place to go for the time being. Please.”
“Yes, please. It is the least we could do. What my brother does not realize is that you not only saved me, but this whole village.” Anita turned to her brother, “She is the one who warned us of the ambush.”
“You seem to have been sent by the gods themselves. Whatever you need, you only have to ask.” King Able declared.
“Thank you, Your Majesty.” Emotion welled up in me as these people who barely knew me treated me with such kindness. I knew it was because I saved Anita and the village, but still it was touching.
“Will you be okay to travel tomorrow? I know you have a concussion.”
“Yes, I should be. What time should I be ready?”
“Crack of dawn meet us by the Western gate.”
“Yes, Your Majesty.”
“We shall take our leave so you may get some rest and prepare for tomorrow. I will see you later, Lady Tristis.” Kind Able bowed his head.
“Thank you, King Able for everything, you have been very kind. I shall see you tomorrow or sooner. Good day.” I bowed my head. King Able smiled and left.
“I wish to thank you personally for saving my life. Thank you, Tristis.” Anita bowed deeply, something royalty rarely does.
“You don’t have to bow, it’s what friends do.” I smiled. Anita smiled widely and looked like she wanted to do something. “You can hug me you know, I promise I don’t bite friends.” She laughed and gave me a hug. “So how are you?”
“I am fine, thanks to you. I have a few bruises and cuts, but nothing serious or fatal. How are you?”
“Bruises, wounds, and a concussion that’s making my head pound a little. Besides that, I’m fine.”
“I will let you get some more rest. I will have someone prepare Aries for you. Good day, Tristis.” Anita hugged me again and headed out the door.
“Later, Anita.” I waved and turned to the owner. “What?”
♠ ♠ ♠
And thus we meet the elusive King Able. Cheers!