Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

Old Friends

I’m leaving.” I knocked on King Able’s study door.
“So soon?” He got up and we approached each other.
“Yes, it’s pretty far so I gotta make some head way before I have to come back.” I smirked.
“True.” He chuckled. “Farewell Lady Tristis, may you be safe on your journey.”
“Thank you King Able, may God be on your side.” I pulled him into a hug, which startled him, and hugged him tightly. After the initial shock, King Able hugged back and patted me.
“You will be missed.”
“Farewell for now. Keep the peace.” I walked away and headed to Anita’s room. I knocked, but received no reply. I pulled out a note I had written earlier and slipped it under her door. *I hope she reads it, I truly miss you Anita.* I walked away and only looked back once before walking straight to the kitchen. “Hey, Thorton.”
“Tristis, I’ve wondered where ye’ve been.” He smiled.
“Been busy.”
“So I’ve heard.” He looked at me accusingly.
“I came to say good-bye. I’m leaving for a while.”
“I know, and I’m a bit mad ye didn’t tell me sooner.”
“I made the decision yesterday, so I didn’t give anyone a heads up.”
“I’ll forgive ye this time, now come here.” He held out his arms and I quickly ran into them. He gave me a loved filled hug and I was happy that I met such a great person such as him. “Before ye go,” He said as I was getting ready to leave out the back. “This be for ye. Can’t have ye starving on us.” He handed me a satchel full of food.
“Thorton, I can’t take this!”
“Ye are and ye will. No back talking missy.” He waved a wooden spoon at me.
“Fine.” I scowled, which quickly turned into a smile. “Thank you for everything, Thorton, I’ll make sure to visit during the ball.”
“I’ll hold ye to it.” He winked and I left laughing. I walked to the stables and whistled for Aries. He immediately stuck his head out and waited patiently for me.
“Hi dear, how are you? Enjoying your time here?” He answered vocally and I felt bad for tearing him away from Anita’s horse. “I know you want to stay, but we are going on a trip. You okay with that?” He was quiet a moment and then answered affirmatively. “You are too good to me.” I whispered as I opened his stable and lead him out. I brushed him quickly, placed a blanket on him, and climbed onto his back. I placed my two bags onto his rear and began the journey back to the small village I first entered on this land. The journey was long and at times lonely. I often talked to Aries and he seemed to listen intently. In half the time it took me to reach the castle, I approached the village I left some time ago. At the gate I jumped off of Aries’ back and walked him to the tavern I originally stayed at.
“Stay here, I’ll be right back.” Aries neighed excitedly. “You know where we are, don’t you?” I grinned and he pranced happily. I laughed and headed inside. I recognized a girl with flowing red hair and silently went up behind her. “Long time no see, Roza.”
Roza jumped and nearly dropped all the dishes she was carrying. I quickly caught some of them as she steadied the rest. “Who are- Tristis!” She smiled as she placed her contents on the closest table and hugged me. “How are you? What are you doing here?”
“I’m fine, and I needed to get away from the capitol for some time.” I helped her bring the dishes to the back.
“Da will be happy to see you.” Roza said as we left the back.
“Where is he?”
“At the market buying more food. Would you like a table?”
“Sure, but first do you have any rooms?”
“I believe so, give me a minute to check.” She disappeared behind the counter and found a key for me. “Here you go. It is the room next to your old one.”
“Thank you, Roza. I’ll talk to you more when you aren’t busy.” I grinned.
“Okay, I should be getting a break after da gets back. I’ll find you when I’m off.”
“Sounds good, see ya soon.” She nodded and I left to walk Aries to his stable. He whinnied happily as I approached and untied him. I lead him to the stable and released him into the barn where he happily talked to his neighbors. I walked back around to the tavern again and found a seat. A few of the patrons came up to me to welcome me back into town, remembering me from the fight. I readily talked back and asked how they were doing since I had left. Most were well, but informed me of the two dozen villagers who had lost their lives in the battle. I offered my condolences which they were grateful for. After talking to like the ninth person, Roza approached and sat beside me.
“Hello.” She greeted.
“Hello again.” I chucked. “How have you been since I was last here?”
“Quite well, the village has been slowly rebuilding since the incident and we have not been attacked since.”
“I’m happy to hear that.”
“How about you? What is the capitol like?” She asked eagerly.
“It was big and most of the people there were nice. The King and Princess were really kind to me and I met some people there.”
“Who?”
“The people I hung out with the most were the Hart’s; Jonathan the father, Robert the son, and Rayna the daughter. Jonathan actually taught me to craft a dagger, it was a lot of fun to learn.”
“Really, do you have it with you?”
“Yep, right here.” I unsheathed it and placed it on the table. She gingerly picked it up and examined it; her face held awe at the masterpiece.
“This is wonderfully crafted. You made this?”
“Yep. I became friends with a weapons smith and one day asked if he could teach me. It was a great way to relieve stress and think.” I smiled and leaned back.
“This is your first piece?” She exclaimed.
“Yes ma’am.” I grinned.
“Tristis!” I turned to see a familiar man calling to me.
“Luka, how are you?” I smiled as I got up and hugged him.
“Better since the last you saw me.” He looked at what Roza was holding and whistled. “That yours?”
“Yeah.”
“May I see it?”
“If Roza is willing to give it up.” I teased, causing her to turn a red that rivaled her hair.
“Here.” She quickly thrusted the dagger at Luka clearly embarrassed.
“Careful lass.” He chuckled and plucked the weapon from her hands. He carefully examined it and his eyes showed that he was in love with it. “If you’re willing to sell it, I would love to buy it off of you.”
I laughed and replied, “Thanks but no, it took me forever to craft it and I am very proud of it.”
“You should be, it’s magnificent.” He handed it back to me and I easily slid it into its sheath. “How long are you here for?”
I ushered him to sit at the table and leaned back, “Around a week. I promised the King that although I wasn’t staying with him, I wouldn’t miss his party. Gotta congratulate him after all.”
“You get to go?” Roza gasped in awe.
“Yeah.” I started twitching in my seat.
“What is wrong, Tris?”
“I’m going cuz I told King Able I would, but I don’t know if An-Princess Anita wants me there. We kinda got into a fight before I left.”
“Oh, I am sure she will want to see you after you have been away for a little while. She is your friend after all even if she is mad at you.”
“I hope so. But enough about that, what has been happening here since I left? The town seems to be coming along.” We soon got into a huge conversation about what I have missed out on. Luka promised to show me around the village to see how much has changed and I could not wait. I spent a little more time in the tavern before following Luka out into the village. It was bustling with life and I smiled. *I definitely prefer small villages to capitals; they are so much more… welcoming. Well usually, there have been a few that I would rather not stay at.* I grinned as I took in the place that only weeks ago were littered with dead, dying, and wounded people.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm updating, so you know what that means... I've finished the story. YAY! I still need to proofread it and probably add a few details, but nonetheless it is finished. I wicked excited, yet sad at the same time; my baby's all grown up XD lol Anyway, my big question now is... should I even bother trying to publish it? What are your thoughts? My friend back home thinks I should, but IDK. Let me know what you think. Cheers!