Status: Complete, Only took four years XD

Tristis Nox

I am Tristis Nox

The tavern was bustling with life as I entered and waved to Roza. “You are leaving already?”
“Yes, I only have five days to get to the capital.” I replied. She nodded and went out back to get me food and a drink. I sat back and conversed with some of the locals who were asking me why I had my bags. As I finished, I said farewell to everyone I knew in the tavern and whole heartily knew I would miss them. I tried my best to build up a wall between them and me, but utterly failed. Once I was free, I headed to the stable to prepare Aries for the long run back. I brushed him, bridled him, and lastly placed a blanket on his back and then lead him through the village.
“Wait, Tris!” A young seamstress called. I turned to her and waited. “Here, I made this for you.” She handed me a rather large brown package.
“What is this?” I asked curiously.
“A dress for the King’s ball. You do not seem like someone who would own a dress while traveling.”
“I can’t.” I replied feeling guilty.
“You can and you will. If you want to think of it this way, you are advertising my wares.” The young woman grinned. “Maybe I can get a job in the capital because of you.” She winked.
I could not help but chuckled. “Thank you.” I bowed my head and she wondered off back to her shop.
As I was exiting the village I was stopped one last time by Roza and Luka. “Tristis! Will we ever see you again?”
“No, this was the last visit.” My face was void of all emotion as I looked at the two people I had grown to like very much. “It would be better if you forgot about me; erase me from your memories.” I told them as I swung up onto Aries back.
“Why?” Roza asked appalled at the thought.
“Because in this story I’m not the good guy.” *I’m the killer, the bad guy.* Before they could question I kicked Aries in the side and we dashed off. I pushed Aries hard and far, trying to forget the terrible feelings I felt. I regretted the way I treated my friend as soon as we stopped and he gave me an irritated look. “I’m sorry.” I whispered. He snorted at me and turned to drink from the nearby stream. He’s mad at me. He would not look at me for the rest of the break.
We started on the journey again, this time at a slower pace. We broke into a gallop, but not a backbreaking run. I could feel the happiness radiate off of Aries as he chose the speed he wished to run at, instead of me dictating it to him.
I entered the capital the day before the ball. *I can barely breathe with how many people are here!* I marveled as I walked Aries to the palace stables. “Excuse me!” I called to the apparently empty stable.
“Yes?” A stable hand asked as he jumped down from the rafters. “Tristis! How are you?” Kellin smiled and offered a hand.
“Hi Kellin, I’m fine. Mind if I leave Aries with you? Thought I’d let him see his girl while I’m here.”
“Of course. Does King Able know you are here?”
“No, I want to keep it a secret so shh.” I winked.
Kellin chuckled and readily agreed. “I will see you around Tristis, but I best get back to work.”
“Of course, see you later.” I waved and headed back into town to try and find a place to stay. Almost everywhere I went was full and I was beginning to think I would never find a place. My luck turned when I walked into a small inn and no one was around except a petite woman. “Got a room I can stay in?” I asked the young woman.
“You want to stay here?” She asked excitedly.
“Yes?” I was taken back.
“This is exciting, you will be the third person staying here.” She smiled brightly.
“That is exciting. Why so few?”
She shifted uncomfortably and answered. “We just opened a little while ago, so everyone wants to stay at a well known inn or tavern instead of here.”
“Well, I’ll take a room. I don’t care for fancy or if the place is well known as long as it’s pretty much clean and I won’t get my throat slit in the night.” I smiled.
The young woman smiled again and eagerly retrieved a key for my room. “My husband will be so pleased to know we have another guest.”
“Glad I could be of some service.”
“Here is your room. It has clean sheets, a basin and pitcher, and you can get water from the back pump. If you need anything I or my husband will be at the desk, so don’t hesitate to talk to us.” She grinned and left me to my own accord. I placed my bag on the floor near the wooden stand that held the basin and mirror, and then carefully put the package on the bed. My stomach growled and I looked down. *Food it is.* I locked the door behind me, slipped the key into my pocket, and walked into the common room. “Excuse me.”
The woman whirled around in surprise. “Yes? Is everything alright?”
“Do you serve food here, or should I go find something?”
“Oh, yes we serve meals. What would you like?”
“Do you have stew, bread, and ale?”
“Yes we do. Anything else?” Her smile brightened at the prospect of me eating in this very hall.
“I’m good, thank you.”
“It should be ready soon, take a seat and I will serve it to you.” She danced into the back making me laugh. *How innocent she is, and easily entertained.* I scanned the room and found a seat in the middle, where I could watch the room but I was not too out of the way like I was hiding or being anti-social. After sitting, I laced my fingers together and rested my head on them. I send a small message to Vay before day dreaming about how great life would be if I was one of these people.
“Here is your meal, please enjoy.” The woman smiled as she placed the bowl, plate and cup in front of me.
“Thank you.” I smiled at her and started to dig in. She hesitantly swayed next to me, looking as though she wanted to ask me something. After swallowing I asked, “You need something?”
“If I may be so bold to ask, are you going to the King’s celebratory ball?” A light blush colored her cheeks.
“I am.” I confirmed.
“That is so exciting!” She jumped. “How did you get an invite? You do not seem like an aristocrat or royalty.” She immediately realized what she said and her eyes widened. “I did not mean it like that! I’m Sorry!” She bowed deeply in apology.
“It’s fine.” I chuckled. “I’m not, I don’t have any titles here. I actually met the Princess a while ago and became friends with her.”
“Wait, are you Tristis Nox?”
“I am, how did you know?” I cocked my head.
“You were a gossip topic for a while. Who doesn’t know you?” It was her turn to chuckle. “Plus, you know my friends Rayna and Robert. They talk about you quite a bit.”
“You know Rayna and Robby?” I raised my brows.
“Yes ma’am.”
“How are they doing?”
“Well, Rayna was sad that you left and Robert seemed down since you left. Make sure you say hi to them while at the ball.”
“I will, I already promised Robby a dance.” I laughed. Movement caught my eye and I looked up. “Best get back to your station. You have a guest.”
The woman turned around, muttered “excuse me” and dashed off towards the desk. She talked animatedly to the man and then showed him to a room. I took my time eating the stew, which was delicious, and enjoyed the noises of the inn. Once I finished I brought it up to the inn owner and headed out the door. I milled about with the hundreds or thousands of other people walking the streets. I watched and listened as the streets pulsed with people; alive and thriving. I was happy to get lost in the rush and not be singled out. *You can’t find this kind of feeling anywhere else but a humanoid planet. This is what it means to be alive!* I smiled to myself as I peopled watched and listened to their problems from afar.
♠ ♠ ♠
At this rate the story will be complete soon =) Bet you're excited to see what happens.
So I find it ironic that Tris is an angel and she considers herself the 'bad guy.' Interesting eh?
Cheers!