Status: Sorry to leave you hanging guys! The keyboard on my laptop is malfunctioning.

Stop Pretending That You're Sorry

3

The rest of the day went by in the form of a rather dull blur. Math came after history, then art, study hall, English, Physics, Gym, and another study hall.

I kept to myself, I wasn’t in the mood to make friends. In fact I was too embarrassed of my living conditions to make friends or even ride the bus home.

As one would expect, the house of a crack addict looks as such. It’s a run down, cheap piece of shit in some run down, piece of shit neighborhood.

It was embarrassing to say the least. So once again I opted for walking.

At least I would have some damn good legs by the end of the school year.

I fished my iPod out of my purse to listen to on the walk home, of course it was on 20% battery. That was just my luck. I put it on anyway, figuring I’d listen to as much as I could before it died.

It made it almost the whole way home before it cut out in the middle of M.I.A’s Paper Planes.

Fuck my luck.

I was about to take the road I knew would lead me back to the place I was dreading to go, but instead I decided it would be more fun to go explore town, possibly get some stuff to brighten up my room.

When Dad died he left me a fair amount of inheritance, though I could only access a bit of it until I turned 18 and got control over everything.

I wandered around for a bit and managed to find some cheap bedding and some duct tape to cover up that spring that ripped through the mattress.

Finally I realized that I could no longer avoid going home, so begrudgingly I went.

Anthony and mom were in the kitchen cooking crappy box mac’n’cheese. I guess that was supposed to be dinner. Shit.

“Where the fuck have you been?” Anthony snapped.

“Just getting to know the town. I wanted to pick up some stuff for my room.”

“You have to ask before you do that kind of shit.”

“Sorry, I didn’t realize I had to run everything I do by my mom’s boyfriend. You’re not even related to me. You have no authority over me.”

“Are you seriously giving me some bullshit little attitude? You little bitch.”

He slammed his fist down on the table, scaring the shit out of me.

“Look stop freaking out, I won’t do it again, okay?” I started to back up, not even bothering to cover up how scared I was.

“DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!”

There was a loud crack and the side of my face began to prickle with a burning feeling. It took a minute, I guess I was in shock or whatever, but I realized that he’d just hit me.

“Mom,” I said, tears pooling up in the corner of my eyes. “Mom, he just hit me.”

She didn’t even move. It was like I was invisible.

What the actual fuck?