Wallflower

Ingredients and Propositions

“Is there a particular reason that you’re staring at me as though I’m your science project?” I inquired as I stood before the boys.

“Why haven’t you attacked anyone or thrown a fit over us being here yet?” Started George.

“It’s not as though your mind set towards us is hidden. It is quite common knowledge that Slytherin’s see us as unworthy blood traitors.” Fred.

“And just think, what would your pure blooded friends think about a bunch of Weasleys living with you. I’m sure they’d be ashamed and disgusted.” Finished George.

I kept my calm, and simply looked at them with a straight face. “Most of my house mates don’t know I exist, to start with so why would I care what they think about me?” I saw them go to say something else, but I cut them off, “And also, before you go saying anything else. Do you both share all the same ideals as your parents? How about your grandparents? I don’t think so. While I may love my grandmother, she does not decide for me how I live. And contrary to popular belief my father was a good man. Sure he strayed away from the right path now and again but we all make mistakes. You hear!” I ranted. “You do not insult my father by assuming such despicable things about myself or him.” I finished. I was so worked up by this time that I was breathing heavily, and knew that I’d gotten a blush over the bridge of my nose. With a huff I whirled around and stormed up the stairs to the third floor and into my room.

Frustrated beyond belief and missing my father I lit a scented candle and lay on my bed. There were still things to do, but I had to clear my head before I attempted anything.

I heard birds chirping and smelled food early the next morning waking me from my slumber. Looking to my bedside I saw that the candle had burned itself out, but hadn’t made a mess which I was glad for. I couldn’t believe I was so foolish to fall asleep after I had just lit a fresh candle. How stupid of me! I mentally scolded myself as I pushed the remainder of the candle into the waste bin beside my desk and began to get changed into fresh clothes for the day. Thinking back I remembered that I had made a mental list of things I would be needing to do soon.

After putting on fresh undergarments and jeans I browsed through my shirts for one that would keep me warm as the house seemed a tad colder than usual today. After a few minutes ruffling through my various tops I decided on a knit long sleeved sweater with a pronounced V neck line. I slipped on the pewter colored top, and pulled the long hem down over the top of my dark wash jeans, the sleeves ending a little past my wrists. Turning, I walked to the direct other side of my room and opened a pantry-style cupboard that was flush with the wall. Inside were my various potions ingredients and on the bottom shelf was a cubby holding all of my books containing potions instructions and my copper cauldron.

Without a second glance I grabbed the book that I knew held the Wolfsbane potion directions and absentmindedly flipped to the correct page. My stores looked fairly depleted since last summer, but I suppose things do go bad over time. Kreature usually went through my room once completely before I returned home from school to ensure that it was in top shape for me, including discarding of any ingredients that had gone obviously bad in my absence. The gesture never went unappreciated, as some things do tend to get a trifle potent in stench after a while and there were just some things that you didn’t want to come home to.

I went through the ingredients for the specific potion realizing that I would have just enough for one batch, but rather to air on the side of caution I decided I would go shopping today. I grabbed a quill and some spare parchment and firstly wrote down all of the ingredients that I would need for the wolfsbane. Once that was done I examined my stores closer to see if anything else of great importance was missing, and wrote down the necessary ingredients that were either severely depleted or all together gone. I knew my cauldron was in good shape as it had come home from school with me, and I knew that I didn’t need any new books but decided that I might as well pick one up if it appealed to me.

Folding the parchment and tucking it away in my jeans pocket I slipped on my knee high boots, shoving my wand down the side of them so it was well concealed. I left my room and closed the door behind me tightly in hopes that I could leave right after eating and no one would enter my space.

Once I was down the two flights of stairs and entering the kitchen I saw that I was almost late for breakfast for once. I was by no stretch a morning person, but this was late for me. A quick glance at the clock told me it was nearing 11:00am and with so many people in the house it was a pure miracle I hadn’t been woken earlier. However I knew full well that had it been just my uncle and I, I may well have not been up for another hour. I small pink blush crept its way into my cheeks as I settled in a chair by Ginny Weasley. She didn’t seem the talkative type, so I felt blessed that I wouldn’t have to make awkward conversation over a meal that was growing colder. As per usual my uncle and Arthur were at the head of the table reading the paper and drinking tea. A quick look around the table reassured me that no one was looking at me strangely and that everyone was minding their own business happily. A miniscule sigh of relief escaped my lips and I leaned forward to spoon some of the scrambled eggs onto my plate and grab a few slices of toast. The pickings were slim, but I didn’t mind in the least as just eggs and toast seemed a perfectly fine brunch to me. Some seasonings and condiments and my plate was ready to be eaten when Uncle Sirius deemed it a good time to talk to me.

“So, Rosie, any plans for today?” He asked idly. He knew that I couldn’t sit still for too long and the last few days I’d done nothing really; I was long overdue for some form of activity.

“Yes Uncle, I have to run into Diagon Alley and replenish my stores. The full moon will be upon us shortly and I’d best be prepared.” I answered cordially.

“Best pick up everything you’ll need then, I’ve been into the potions since Christmas and we could do with some more pepper-up potion, and I’m sure a few healing potions wouldn’t hurt.” He bantered back knowing full well I’d already devised a list of things I planned on getting.

Slightly annoyed at having forgotten to check those stores as well, I nodded and tried to think of the ingredients of each potion he’d requested before giving up and deciding to make the trek to the potions cupboard and then back up to my room after I’d finished eating.

“Would I be able to go into Diagon Alley as well Mum? I wouldn’t mind some time to myself.” Ginny said from her chair feebly. Her voice wasn’t quiet or loud, and wasn’t particularly confident or strong sounding either and for half a moment I wondered why she’d been sorted into Gryffindor before giving my head a mental shake.

“Well Dear, I’m not sure—“ Molly started before Uncle butted in.

“Nonsense Molly, let the girl go. You mustn’t all always clean to earn your room and board, you needn’t ear it at all!” Uncle exclaimed jocosely in his ever present haunting yet merry tone.

“Oh all right, would it be alright if she went with you Carmine?” Molly asked begrudgingly.

“Sure, it’s no problem at all as long as she doesn’t mind my ingredient and book shopping.” I responded not looking up from my meal.

“What about us Mum”

“Can we go too?” The twins.

“Boys, you’re still grounded from that prank you pulled. The answer is no.” Molly said without having to think.

I finished my plate and put it in the sink where Molly was washing dishes. “Thank you for breakfast Molly, it was delicious.” I said to her, “And Ginny, I’ll be leaving just as soon as I know everything that I’ll need, so probably in about ten minutes if that’s alright with you?” I offered. She nodded and excused herself before disappearing into, I assume, her room to get ready.

After compiling a small list of the potions we needed I made the trek upstairs and had just started double checking and revising my ingredients list when a pop sounded behind me.

“You know, we do intend to go either way.” Fred said behind me, leaning against my bed post.

“You do know your mother will skin you alive if I tell her you’re bothering me.” I stated in response.

“I think it might just be worth it. I mean, I wouldn’t mind knowing just why you ended up in Slytherin anyway. You don’t seem to act the type other than you’re goody mannerisms.”

“Yes well there is more to a book than just its cover you know, but I’m sure you’ve never seen past the title page of one before.” I retorted making a mock insult at his intelligence, a smirk setting itself on my face.

“Forgive me, your highness, for having a social life unlike yourself.” He commented snidely. I could almost hear the sneer in his voice, which made my smirk ever more present.

Finishing my list I turned to face him, “Why would I want a social life if it means wasting time with useless, meaningless people?” my Slytherin rudeness coming out a little more. “I’ll be leaving now.” I said before he could go and turned on the spot walking out of the room and down the stairs into the sitting room where Ginny was waiting patiently for me. I nodded in her direction before grabbing a good amount of floo powder and stepping into the unlit fireplace shouting “Diagon Alley” in a commanding voice. I closed my eyes until I reached my destination and stepped out with the grace of a high society woman, list in pocket; wand in boot and key in pocket.