Status: Active again.

Letters to Heaven

Letter 2

Dear xxxxxx,
I had another nightmare, the same as usual. Only this time, you weren’t there to calm me back to sleep. Where are you? Can you even hear me? Of course not. Heaven is a lot farther than we think.


***

"Well, good morning Miss Estelle! " Maria sang out, the bubbly middle-aged women in the apartment across from her's. "Up and early like usual!" Estelle locked her door then turned her head towards her.

"Can't say the same for you though." Estelle laughed in reply. "Special plans for today perhaps...?" Maria bit her lip, a warm blush spreading across her cheeks. "I'll take that as a yes.", Estelle giggled. "Good luck Maria, I hope you have a great time! See you later...unless you plan on sleeping out tonight too." Estelle shot a wink at Maria as she turned beet red. Maria playfully slapped Estelle's arm in embarrassment before they said their goodbyes and went their own ways.

Estelle strode over to the elevator, and once in it, hit the button for the first floor. When she arrived to her destination, she headed towards the front desk, each resident's mail boxes across from it. She slid her key into the destined mailbox then gripped the handle, her eyes shut. With a deep breath, she slowly creaked open the small metal door, only to reveal emptiness.

"Yep, just like usual.", she sighed, shutting the mailbox.

***

"Hello...Hello?..can I-" Estelle questioned into the phone.

"Ah, you picked up! Wow, I can't believe you still have the same phone number after all these years!" The girl on the other end squealed.

"...I'm sorry, but who is this speaking?" Estelle questioned the stranger in confusion.

"Oh! How stupid of me. It's me, Janice!"

".....er...."

"You know...high school...we hung out together all the time...I cried whenever I'd get a mosquito bite so you'd always make sure I'd carry around bug spray...called me Cry Baby Janice...Ring a bell? Or...anything?"

"Ahhh,No way....Cry Baby Janice! You sound so...not like a cry baby now." Estelle mused, nodding her head. Janice giggled on the other side.

"I know! Guess I just hit puberty a little late!" She joked. "But on another note, I'm so glad you remember me! I knew you used to have bad memory but hoped it still wouldn't be that bad!"

"Sorry...it's just that I haven't heard from you since...well...high school." Estelle awkwardly breathed out a chuckle.

"Please," Janice snorted, "more like I haven't heard from YOU since high school! Where did you go? You just...disappeared..." she spoke, her tone changing to a mix of worry and sadness. "Suddenly dropping out of school like that...What happened?"

"I..." Estelle struggled to find words. "Well, it doesn't matter. I'm here talking to you now, right?"

"Yea, but....I-"

"And I can't believe you still have my number after all this time!" Estelle giggled, slickly changing the subject.

"What? I can't believe you haven't changed it after all this time!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Note: It says "Dear "xxxxxx" because I don't want to reveal the name yet. It's all part of the story.

Also, there isn't exactly a set plot for this story. I kind of have the direction and what I want in my head but I always keep my mind open to changing things. Overall, I have everything planned though.