Status: Active

The Breed

III

Rena fumbled, tangled in her covers to sit up, tears staining her eyes, her cheek throbbing and red. There was another knock on her door. She wrapped a sheet over her shoulders and dragged herself across her room, opening her door cautiously.

“Rena let me in.” It was a masculine voice, Damien.

Rena nodded, closing the door behind him She turned and was immersed in faint cologne, wrapped up in Damiens strong arms. Her hands pressed against his abs, toned and firm. She pushed away.

“What Damien?” She swallowed.

Damiens eyes stared at her cheek, a handprint still visible.

“Did your dad do that?” He brushed his thumb across her cheek.

She flinched . “No.” She sat arms crossed in front of her on her bed.

“How do you feel?” He sat beside her.

“What are you doing Damien? You act like we’re all chummy, I don’t remember us being this close.” She bit her lip angrily.

His eyes skimmed her and his hand cupped her cheek, he leaned in fast, so she couldn’t flee. His lips were on hers, tender and soft. She couldn’t help but kiss him back. He cared about her, she thought.

“We’re close now.” He laughed leaning back in.

Rena shook her head and pushed him off, smiling. “I can’t do this, not now.”

“Rena baby tell me whats wrong okay.”

Rena felt tears clouding her eyes, she knew he had broken her, she knew she was going to tell him. “Da- Dam- y’know- People aren’t supposed to feel homeless at home. I shouldn’t be scared to come home everyday that he’s here. He’s a king y’know he’s used to this, he hardly knows me. He thinks it’s normal I guess. He hits me. We’ve never gotten along, not since my mom passed. Damien please don’t tell.” She wept before him.

“Rena, that’s not okay.” His eyes were troubled
.
“Damien, what are we?”

“Well, I’m a Child of Blood and you’re a Petal Dancer.” He looked bewildered. “But I really like you Rena. Tell you what, tomorrow if you’re free, let me take you on a proper date okay. We’ll go bowling.”

“I’m rubbish at bowling.” Rena laughed.

“I know.” Damien kissed her again, then stood up and went to her balcony. “I’ll pick you up at seventeen o’clock.” He leaped off the balcony.

Rena smiled, Damien, he was different.

He was a Child of Blood, commonly called a vampire, but the name was cliché and most avoided it. They were feared creatures, that fed on the blood of those in their way, though never on the blood of the other cryptids. Damien was the son of Timothie Chantwell, the Blood Child chairman. The Chairmen are close, they report to the main ruler, the Acolt. Rena’s father was the King.

Rena felt her lips, damp. She smiled and rested her head down, for sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another Shorty