Status: Hiatus...for now

Life Like This

I must be dreaming

Instead of following Jenny downstairs and meeting the ‘monkeys’, I decided to change into my coral bikini along with a pair of matching sandals, throwing a over sized t-shirt over; why not give their pool a little test, huh?

I quickly grabbed a towel and made my way down the stairs. Moving quickly and quietly as humanly possible, I made my way through the living, pass the kitchen, and slid my way trough the back door.

Letting my body relax, I crawled onto one of the tanning bed and let my towel hit the ground. Slipping my ray-bans, I stuffed my earphones into my ear and put ‘Transatlanticlism’ by Death cab for Cutie on full blast.

Letting my body meld with the sun, I gripped onto the soft fabric from beneath me. Every memory that haunted me was coming back. I’m scared, I’m hopeless, I’m helpless, and I’m vulnerable.

The night of the crash played over and over again in my head. I could hear screaming in every direction, but my body wouldn’t respond. I wanted to get up and tell them I was okay, but I wasn’t, along with Mom, Dad, and…Mason.

I turned the volume up, hoping I’d block out every flashing memory and flashbacks. Wishing they would be buried under the many layers of flesh. I didn’t want them to come up; I wanted them to stay hidden, gone…forever.

I held every fiber in my body not to cry, the voices kept replaying it self.

“Ashleigh...everything’s going to be…okay…shush.”

Every nerve in body struck, my heart began beating ten times faster; leaving me to inhale sharp breaths. Slowly but surely, the tears began to subside, no body relaxed again, my breathing going back to its normal pace.

As my body adjusted to the warm Arizona sun, heavy footsteps approached. Not bothering to see who it was, I resumed playing fruit ninja on my iPod. A couple of minutes flew by and I felt a heavy gaze on me, not one but two.

Slowly, I turned my head to the left. My eyes met to guys around my age, mouth gaping wide open. It seemed to be a game to which one of the three of us could stare and at each other the longest, surely they were winning.

Feeling the least bit creped out, I adjusted my ray-bans to the tip of my nose. Smirked and offered them a small wave; but didn’t get a response. Whistling came from inside the house coming towards our way.

Yet another guy comes out and sticks his head between the two. “What are you two dweebs looking—“ he stopped and followed there stare. Our eyes met for a brief second and his body turned to stone; yet another gaze at me.

Removing my earphones, I turned my body towards the awkward looking guys and smiled. “Can I help you?”

No answer.

Rolling my eyes, I neatly put down my iPod and rested my ray-bans on the top of my head. Sitting up nice and straight, I drew in a breath and let out a horrific blood curdling scream.

The guy with freakishly long hair ducked to the ground and covered his head like there was going to be a bombing. The red head fell to the ground and ate shit, while the other guy ran straight into the house holding his ears.

Feeling satisfied with their reaction, I grabbed my Cosmo magazine and started to flip through nonchalantly, moving along with my day.

Barely making it through Top 100 beach bodies, Jenny came running outside holding a spatula. I couldn’t help giggle at the look plastered on her face.

“What—what happened?” She demanded looking straight at me.

I shook my head and gave her an angelic smile. “Nothing, just working on my tan, you usually don’t get this kind of weather in Washington.”

She nodded and lowered the spatula. “Okay then, come inside and have some dinner. You can finish tanning tomorrow; I heard it’s going to be in the high nineties.”

Grabbing my stuff I walked back into the house, close behind Jenny. I stopped at the door and knelt down to the guy who I think scared the living hell out of.

“You okay?” I asked giving him a gentle shake. He shook his head and buried his head into the palms of his hands. “Sorry ‘bout that didn’t mean to scare you. It was just that I was a little creped out and all.

He hesitantly lifted his head and brushed his long strands of hair revealing his face. He looked small for his age, a little too small. But I knew he couldn’t have been that much younger than I was, maybe even the same age.

I stood up and offered him a hand which he took gratefully. “I’m Ashleigh.”

He let out a grin and got up from the ground. “Patrick John Kirch.”

I laughed and nodded, “Patrick John Kirch…” I repeated.

He blushed and followed inside, “The one and only.”

When we made our way inside there was a group of high school guys in the living watching the Sunday night football game. None of them really notice us entering beside the guys that I kind of scared earlier.

“There, that’s here!” The red headed guy pointed his finger at me and the whole group of guys turned and faced me.

I stopped in mid-tracks and gave him a funny look. “You know, it’s not polite to point at strangers.”

He shook his head and walked towards me. “You know, it isn’t nice to scare the shit out of strangers.” He said in the same sarcastic manner, man he didn’t know who he was going up against.

“Nicholas Andrew Satino, watch your language!” Jenny scolded from the kitchen.

He sighed and adjusted his bandana, “Sorry Momma Oh!”

I smirked and shifted my weight to my right foot. “Nicholas is it now? Well Nicholas, has your mother ever taught you that it’s not polite to stare at stranger when they’re tanning? Mostly when they’re half naked and you don’t know them?’

His face flushed red and the guys whistled. “I-I—“

“Pat help me out here!”

Pat shook his head and put his arm around me, I had to kneel down a little because of the height difference. “No can do my ginger friend, I’ve made a new best friends.”

Nick grunted and flipped him off, “Trader.” He muttered.

He walked back to the other side of the living room and slumped into the couch. But for some odd reasons the guys kept their gaze on me, as if they were seeing a two headed monkey or something.

Pat tapped my shoulder and whispered. “You’re still in you’re bikini.”

Now it was my turn to flush red, “Whoops. I’ll just go…change.”

I ran up stairs and grabbed a fresh change of clothes and made my way into the guest bathroom down the hall.

Mid-day through my shower someone burst through the doors and started to pee…they fucking started to pee! Who the hell do you they think they are to just barge into an occupied bathroom and start peeing!?!

Rinsing the last bit of conditioner out of my hair I stuck my head out, using the curtain to cover my body.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” I half screamed. He ignored my question and went on peeing. I shut off the water and tapped my foot impatiently. “Um hello?”

“Hi”

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“Peeing” He said bluntly, not bothering to look at me.

I rolled my eyes and wrapped the towel tightly around my body. “Why?”

“What do you mean why? I have to pee and that’s what I’m doing!” His voice sounds aggravated as he flush the toilet.

“Well couldn’t you have gone somewhere else, I’m showering!”

He ignored my statement and walked out of the bathroom leaving me stunned. Who the hell was this kid? Before he left I got a glimpse of his face but not much, he sure didn’t see me though.

“The least you could do is washing your damn hands, dick.” I yelled after him.

“Ashleigh sweetie, grab a plate and join the boys in the living room if you want.” Jenny ushered me into the kitchen and started to pile all sorts of food onto my plate.

I nodded and looked down at the mound of food escalading before my eyes. “Haha, thank Jenny, but I think this is more then plenty.”

“Oh my, sorry dear; I’m just so used to feeding a bunch of boys that I forget!”

Smiled and grabbed a coke from the fridge before popping down on the couch next to Pat.

“Best friend!” He yelled, slapping an arm around my shoulder causing me to nearly drop my food all over him. “Let me introduce you to everyone! The one over there stuffing his face with the zombie t-shirt is Garrett, you’ve met Nick, over there in the corner is the other ginger Jared, the sweetest most kind-hearted teddy bear.” Jared looked at him with a pleased smile.

“Hey,” I said taking a sip of my Coke.

Pat went on introducing me to a bunch of guys who I know by the end of the night I’d forget their names, whoops.

“And last but not least John Ohhh.” Pat dragged out “O” “John Oh meet Ashleigh.”

I turned my head and cocked an eyebrow, “Have a nice pee?”

“A-Ashleigh!?!” He asked stunned, almost spitting out his pizza. “Is that really you?”

“As real as it could get,” I said taking a bite of my Hawaiian pizza.

“What the hell are you doing here!?!” He asked looking at me all big eyed.

That’s when Jenny came in and save my ass. “She’s here because she misses us, and needs the fresh air of Arizona breeze.”

She rested her hands on my shoulders and squeezed them gently. At that moment I just wanted to crawl into a hole and stay buried beneath the earth’s surface.

John scoffed and turned his attention back to the TV screen. “Yeah, okay.” But then he added. “And yes, thank you very much, I did enjoy my pee.”

Prick.

“Well that was weird.” Halvo as they called him stated. “What’s with the peeing thing?”

“Long story short, when I was showering he walked in…peed…and left.”

Jared laughed and slapped John’s back. “Ah, typical O’Callaghan: does what he pleases, when and where he wants.”

I scoffed and stuffed the rest of my pizza into my mouth. That just reminded me of my I never liked him. Still the same douche bag he was when we met when we were babies.

“Figures,” I mumbled.

“Okay, boys and Ashleigh. Jay and I are going out of the country for about a week or two to celebrate out 25th anniversary. I want you all to behave, no parties, drinking or girls. The only girl who should be entering this house while we’re gone is Ashleigh, Tessa, and Gabi.” Then she turned to John. “And for you, don’t beat your brother’s okay?”

The guys laughed and he put his hands up defense. “I only do it when they get on my nerves, and that’s everyday till they move out!”

Jenny moved hers’ and Jay’s suitcase to the door and straightened her jacket. “Or, you could move out; one less for me to feed and clean after.”

“Yeah right like that’d happen.”

She simply shook her head and gave me an apologetic smile.

“Okay boys we’re leaving now, behave and whatever your mother said follow it.” Jay said before grabbing the suitcases and heading out.

“Oh on more thing, Ashleigh, since we’ll we gone for awhile and you just got here. I thought you could use my car, go around and wonder a little.” She handed and the keys and kissed my forehead.

“Thank you so much Jenny!”

“No problem dear, have fun!” With that she left, leaving me with a bunch of monkeys.

This was going to be a long week or two.

“So, when are the other guys coming over?” Asked some guy I’d already forgotten his name.

Kennedy looked down at his phone and scrolled though some texts. “Sean said they’d be here in less then 2 seconds.”

“Yeah, like—“

Someone began pounding on the yelling, “Party’s here!”

Pat got up and opened the door, in came a herd of guys with seem too skinny for their own good.

“Aye oh! Who want’s beer!” A guy with long hair yelled holding up a case of beer. To think of it, all the guys here had long hair. “Beer, beer, one for you, and one for—“ Then all of a sudden, he turns and stares in dead in the eye. “Whoa who’s the chick?”

Everyone turned and stared at me like I was some art project. Seeing all these gazes at me caused me to freeze and stare back at the guy.

“That would be Ashleigh, she’s gonna be staying with the O’Callaghan’s for the summer.” Kennedy said ruffling my hair.

The guy smirked and gave me a wink. “You lucky bastard, John Ohhh.”

“Pshhh...Yeah lucky me…” John said sarcastically, cracking open a beer.

“Hey! Mom said you weren’t supposed to drink!” Shane said pointing at John. It only earned him a sharp shove into the wall.

“Scram punk, go do whatever 8 year olds do.” John sneered at his little brother as he ran upstairs screaming.

I couldn’t help to roll at him, who could be so rude to their little brother like that? Wait no, I think his names John O’Callaghan…yeah, sounds about right.

“Party’s here!” The door came crashing open and in came…

“Joel!” Nick shouted, throwing his body at the poor kid. They took each other into a tight embrace like a long lost couple.

“What the fuck? You know these dweebs?” I thought I said that in my head but accidentally said it out loud. Joel burst out laughing and nodded his head. “Oh shit, I didn’t mean it like that, no offense guys.”

“None taken,” They grumbled, slightly offended.

Garrett got off the sofa and jumped into the coffee table, swaying a tad from the amount of beer he’d already consumed. Jared offered a shoulder for support, let’s just say Garrett’s a light what for what I could see.

“Since everyone that is anyone is here, I would like to share a toast.” He raised his nearly empty Budweiser into the air. “To a marvel-marvelous summer, new friends, in with t-the new, and—uh—“

“Out with the old!” Someone in the crowd yelled, seemingly impatient to get their drinking on.

“Ah yes, in with the new and out with the old, also, a new addition to our posse, Ms. Ashleigh!”

I raised my cup of whatever Pat gave me and took a big chug. Which might have been the biggest mistake of my life cause it of straight up Vodka, was this boy trying to murder me my first night here?

My face scrunched up and a almost spit everything out onto Pat; but somehow managed to swallow everything.

“Pat, I’m going to kill your scrawny ass!” I threatened, eyeing him.

He raised his hands and shields his head. “I not Pat, I’m…Rat boy!” I got up from the couch and started to run laps around us. He tucked his hair behind his ears, which weren’t so normal, and started to scream, “I’m just a cupcake lover!”

Everyone burst out laughing except me, I was still a little confused to what was going on.

“Don’t worry about him, it’s just and alter ego when he’s drunk.” I turn to see Joel has taken Pat seat next to me. His green eyes were glowing has he stared at me, damn I was really digging the nose and lip ring, did I mention gauges? I hell yes, that shit is hot!

I smiled and placed my plate onto the coffee table. “Hah, that’s—interesting. It’s funny how we meet again.”

He nodded and took a sip of beer. “Indeed, I say it is fate.”

“I guess you could call it that.”

“So how do you know these dweebs?” He raised his hand and quoted.

He let out a chuckled and sighed. “Sadly, I just met them all today. The only person who I really know is Mr., Drunkard over there.” I pointed to John who was suck some blonde chick’s face off.

“Ah, you know John. You don’t seem so pleased, care to explain?” He genuinely asked, staring at me intently.

I sighed at the memory of the last time we saw each other. “Let’s just say we didn’t leave on such good terms since the last time I’ve been in Arizona.”

He nodded seemingly to understand where I was coming from. “And what terms did you two leave on?”

I smirked and patted his knee. “Let’s not bring up the past and ruin our night, maybe another time when I’m ready?”

He nodded and didn’t push further, which I thanked him gratefully. “Okay then, no problem, how ‘bout we get you a drink that won’t get you plastered before the night ends?”

He offered a hand which I took; we headed to the kitchen where there was already a mound of people waiting for the keg. This was going to be a start of a very long night.

Talk about not being hammered by the end of the night, I think I was the only one still sober enough to remember my name; which in the very few occasions which I could say I do.

I was sitting in the basement with a very drunken crowd of boys: Kennedy, Halvo, Nick, Jared, Garrett, Rat Boy, Joel, and thankfully no John.

“I declare a game of…beer pong!” Halvo announced almost tripping over Kennedy trying to get more beer.

The guys hooted and toast to each other. “Hell yeah, let’s do this shit!

Jared started to set up the cup onto the ping pong table, while Joel filled each to cup to the rim with beer.

“Okay, I say ladies go first…Ashleigh?” Halvo gave me devilish grin and handed me the ball.

“I don’t know you guys, I might just sit out and watch.”

“Awe, come on Ash Bash! Don’t be a party pooper!” Kennedy cheered, clapping his hands together. “Ashleigh, Ashleigh, Ashleigh…” Everyone started to join him, making it unbearable to turn down.

“Okay, okay one and one game only.” I caved and walked cover to the table. “Who’s the ass I’m going to beat?”

A bunch of ‘oohs and awes’ circulated through the room.

“Me!” Nick raised his hand and walked over like he was the shit. This kid really liked messing with me, doesn’t he?

“Okay Santino, prepare to get creamed.” I said with a cocky grin, been playing this since the day I started middle school.

He laughed and bowed, “Ladies first.”

“Don’t mind if I do,” I raised the ball and squinted one eye aiming at the shiny plastic cup before me. I could feel eyes glued to me, I knew I wouldn’t disappoint.

Inhaling a breath, I drew my hand back fourth, finally releasing the ball. I held my breath as the tiny yellow ball flew across the room, hovering over the cups, past mine and towards his. Slowly but surely it landed in his front cup with a, “plop”

I smirked with satisfaction and nodded to the cup, “Beginner’s luck.” Was all he said to me.

“Drink up Santino, you’ve got more coming your way.”

Fifteen minutes later, I ended up drinking to cups of beer. As for Nick, well Nick drank a shit load. That’ll teach him to mess with me, ginger.

“If you all will excuse me, I think it’s time for little me to go off to lala land.” I bowed and started my way up the stairs towards the booming music.

Before I reached the door Joel grabbed onto my wrist and pulled me towards him. “Hey,” His breath smelt of mint and beer, my favorite mix.

“Hey,” I said back looking into his eyes, trying to not fall into a daze.

He let go of my wrist and shoved his hands into his pockets. “So, I was wondering if you wanna go out to dinner with me this weekend—you know—as friends?”

As friends…”Yeah sure, I’d love to.”

He let out a sigh of relief, “Good, so I’ll call you then.”

“Sounds good,” I smiled and walked up the stairs. Did he really just ask me out, holy shit. If my lucks going to stay like this I might not mind Arizona so much.

Barely up the stairs, I was man handled into the kitchen. John grabbed me by the arm and pulled he even through my protest.

“What the hell—“

He shushed me and pulled me through the crowd of drunken weirdo’s. “Just shut up and go along.”

I rolled my eyes and was about to stomp on his foot when this chick comes up to us with a guy strapped to her hips. John wraps his arms around my waist and brings me close to him. This is the closes we’ve been since I stepped foot into Arizona.

“John,” She said in a cold tone.

“Olivia,” I am so confused…

“Have you met Brett?”

What the hell, “And have you met Ashleigh?”

With that awkward introduction, we all stood and stared at one another. Not really wanting to stay here and play the staring game, much rather being in bed right now. I turned out of John’s grasp and looked at the both of them.

“Would you two fuck already?”

Brett let out a snort tried to cover it by downing his beer. John and mainly Olivia looked stunned.

“What!?!” They sputtered out in unison

I rolled my eyes at the dumb asses in front of me.

“Clearly there’s some sexual tension here! I’m not dumb, John don’t use me to make her jealous, Olivia, don’t drag Brett down with some devious plan.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” John mumbled.

I shook my head and started to walk away. “If I were you two, stop with you’re little 2nd grade game and fuck already, just a little word of wisdom.” Before I walked up the stairs and turned to Brett. “And for you, there’s a pretty cute chick over there that’s been eye fucking you.”

Dweebs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe?

Thank you to: kierstlovesyou

ashleigh

-Andrea

P.S- Sorry for such a late update :/ Most I've EVER written in any story--hope it's not too long?