Status: Active

Two Way Street

Liam

God, Harry looked like he was having a grand old time with Louis’ friend. Mara. Pretty name, but not such an appealing girl.

The first few jabs she made, I figured that maybe, she was just rude. But the more she fired out sarcastic remarks, the look on her face…I had a feeling there was something there. Something that she was trying to hide underneath her gorgeous looks and snappy comebacks. I just didn’t know what.

“Liam,” Niall interrupted my thoughts, snapping in front of my face. “Hello? Are you there?”

“He must be entranced by my charm,” Mara snickered, picking up the glass of water that was placed in front of her.

Harry burst of laughing and clapped along with just a little too much enthusiasm. Which meant he was trying to get into her pants, despite the fact that Louis said she was off limits to him. “Who wouldn’t be?” he responded finally, giving her a cheeky grin.

“Oh, how sweet,” she cooed, reaching over and pinching his face. “No, you’re not getting any. So you can stop trying.”

I actually let out a laugh that sounded more like a snort at that. She was smart, that one. She wouldn’t fall for Harry’s antics.

Louis rolled his eyes. “You guys are all ridiculous. Alright, what’s everyone getting?”

“Apparently, I’m not getting anything,” Harry announced snidely, sneaking a look at Mara from the corner of his eye.

“Right you are,” she fired back without hesitation. “You can sit there and watch us eat.”

“Do I get to take pictures?”

“Do you have a camera?” Mara looked up at him, raising her eyebrows.

“Uh…no,” he answered slowly.

“Then that’s a no. Now shut up, I’m trying to read.” Her eyes scanned the page rapidly, considering every option there was.

I knew it was probably creepy, but I kept my eyes locked on her. I was typically pretty good at reading people, and I wanted to know what it was about her that made her put up her sarcastic barrier to keep people away.

“Stop it!” Mara snapped suddenly, tilting her head up to look at me, giving me the first good view I had of her face. I realized then that her eyes were a really pretty hazel color, complimented nicely by her reddish brown hair. Her skin was milky pale and covered with loads of freckles. They worked for her.

“Stop what?” I responded after what I hoped wasn’t too long of a pause.

“Stop staring at me like that! You’re freaking me the hell out.”

“You git,” Niall jested, elbowing me in the side. “Stop making it so obvious you fancy her.”

“I don’t fancy her,” I answered automatically, without thinking of the fact that I might hurt her feelings.

Not that I did. Because she just smirked at me and said, “Well, that’s good, considering I’m not too fond of you either, sweetheart.”

Harry laughed again, while I sank down in my seat a little bit, folding my arms in front of my chest. The more she talked, the more I really didn’t like that girl. I hadn’t done anything to her, not really, but she just wouldn’t stop with her cutting tongue.

Just then, the waitress came over. She had started with a smile, but she must have felt the energy from the table, and her expression sank. “Um, are you guys ready to order?” she started, pulling the order pad out of the front of her apron.

Louis nodded and started off before we went around the table clockwise, saying what we wanted to eat and drink.

Mara sat back in her seat when the waitress left and sighed loudly. “God, boobear, I thought you said your friends were fun.”

“I’m fun!” Harry protested. “I’ve been laughing!”

“No, you’re annoying,” she joked, smiling at him without showing her teeth. “There’s a difference.”

“Ouch,” Niall chuckled.

“See?!” she cheered. “The blonde one’s fun. I like Mr. Irish.”

Niall sat up straighter in his seat, clearly proud that he was the one out of the group (besides Louis, of course) that Mara actually liked.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. This Mara girl was too much. And I was definitely going to have a talk with Louis later about his choice in friends. Not that it was much of my business, but still.

Just then, the food came over, and finally, Mara was quiet, so fixated on eating that all of her biting remarks took a backseat.

I couldn’t have been more relieved.

“Hey, Wet Mop,” Mara’s voice cut through my concentration. It was only when no one answered that I realized she was talking to me. “Pass the salt?”

Swallowing back any retort I could have thought of, I picked up the salt shaker and passed it to her.

Great. I had a new nickname.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOW. This chapter's so bad. Ha-ha. Especially when compared to Vintage Arsenic's. :p Oh, well.