‹ Prequel: Blind Photographs
Status: Updates every other day

Destination Detonation

The Question

The van skid into view and I grabbed Grace and carried her to it. I couldn’t lose her too. Show Pony pulled out two guns and shot rapidly, killing most of the drones quickly.

He didn’t even get to close the doors all the way before Dr. Death Defying floored it and we took off back into the desert.
I held Grace tightly the whole ride back.

I’d grown up half drugged and on the move. This was still her childhood and she’d lost her surrogate family. I’d never be able to replace them, obviously, but I don’t think that having me around would even fill a little bit of the void. They were the bravest men I’d ever known.

Strong, caring, and fabulous as hell.

Rigid in what they knew as right from wrong.

Caring more about Grace and me more than our own parents ever could.

I couldn’t even remember their faces, but I would never in my life forget those of the four men who died for what they believed in. Who died for Grace. Who died for me.

“Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?” Grace finally asked me after a week long silence.

“I don’t know, kid. Why do you ask?”

“Poison used to ask that. We were perfect all together. Can we ever make this beautiful?” She was staring out the window at the moon

“You know what… we can. Give me a minute.” I ran into the office room I’d come to know as Dr Death Defying’s.