Status: Complete

Alive Till Kingdom Come.

Goodbyes pt. Two.

My head feels so dizzy. I don’t think I can breathe. My legs move towards the coach. I sit down and wait for my head to stop spinning. I open the box my dad gave me to see a silver watch, gleaming in the lights. What the hell did my father mean?

The door opens again but this time it’s Liv Connery she’s wearing a purple dress and leather shoes. She’s a head shorter then me and so small, if only she had food on a regular basis maybe she wouldn’t have been so tiny. Her dark curls fall down to her waist, her bangs framing her face, her lips are pink and trembling, she has a small freckle under her right eye, and her eyes glow like two brilliantly blue orbs. She’s so beautiful. So gorgeous even when she looks so fragile and sad.
She sits next to me. Staring at her clenched hands in her lap. “Hi.” She whispers.
“Hi.” I whisper back. She looks down at my hands that are still covered with blood, sweat and cuts from earlier. She places one of my hands, delicately in both of hers. I look at her quizzically, and she just blushes.
“I was nervous my little brother was going to get picked.”
“Oh…so, you clenched you’re fists till they b-bled?” I just nod.
“Um. I, uh…if there is anything I can do…”
“Do you think you can check in on my siblings? It’s just their still so young and my dad works a lot…”
“Yeah, I’ll look after them.”
“Thanks.” I smile at my lap. ‘At least they’ll be watched after.’
“No problem.”
“Poor Rosemary” I mumble. I feel guilty that I just remembered her. Liv nods and says,
“I baby sit her sometimes. When her parents and older brother are working.”
“Oh, did you see her?”
“Yeah, I saw her before I came to visit you.”
“This really isn’t fair.” I say softly. I couldn’t talk negatively about the situation, like this to my family but I can with Liv. I trust her. Liv looks up at me if I’m not speaking English. “It’s just that before they kill Rosemary and me their going to humiliate us. I’ll probably be naked at the parade and act like a fool during my interview.” Liv flinches at the word ‘death.’
“The whole thing is cruel if you ask me. Pitting the wealthy against the poor and putting them up against the careers…some people in the district are probably glad it’s you. They think its ok because the mayor finally gets some karma.” She says in one breath, smoothly. I look her in the eye. Is that what they think? It makes sense but even that’s a bit cruel…
“Do you think that?”
“N-no! I, well I can’t say that your dad is the kindest of people but I wouldn’t wish any bad will towards him or your family…Not saying that your dad isn’t kind, cause I’m sure he is…I, just, uh…” She bit her lip and looked down at our hands again. Even under the circumstances her random babbling was funny. I wish I got the chance to know her before this.
“It’s okay,” I chuckle. “I know what you mean.” It’s weird to me that people think my dad is cruel. I’ve never seen that side of him but I doubt Liv is lying. She gives me a weak smile.
“Thanks, I h-hope…”
Before she finish’s the sentence she rushes into my arms, crying.
“J-just promise me you’ll stay alive; that you’ll win. If you die, I wont ever forgive you!” She sobs into my chest. I don’t even know what to say. I’ve always known of Liv and I’d be lying if I didn’t say I had a small crush on her but I’ve never known her. Not personally. Liv is the daughter of two poor farmers who live on the bad part of the district. She’s a middle child with 4 other sisters, second too youngest. But for the most part I always thought she was pretty mysterious, if I have known she was this funny and random, I might have plucked up the courage to talk to her sooner. She usually sits with her crowd at school and I sit with mine. We never have talked before, so why is she so emotional? Maybe she’s noticed me more then I thought.
“I will.” Is all I can manage to say.
She looks up at me. She touches my face; her fingers brush threw my combed back hair and pulls me close to her. Gold meets blue and her lips graze mine, they’re warm and soft. I can feel her smiling in the kiss and her tears on my cheeks. I place one of my hands on her cheek and the other on her waist, pulling her as close to me as possible. Although this might be the last time I see her I can’t help but think how right this is. Before I know it, she’s gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
xo, Jessie