Status: Contest entry, let me know what you think!

Family Is All It Takes

Chapter 15

Just two weeks later, Mac found herself sitting on her couch with Brandon next to her and Jake on the floor. She was shocked at how easily she and Brandon were able to keep their relationship a secret. Mac wasn’t sure whether she should be concerned that they were so good at keeping secrets or worried about it. She chose to ignore it instead.

A knock on the door caused Mac and Brandon to jump apart.

“Relax,” she said aloud. “It’s probably the pizza. I’ll get it.”

“Money’s on the counter,” Brandon called out.

“You’re not paying,” she responded as she opened the door.

“Who’s not paying for what?” a very familiar voice smirked.

“Jordan!” Mac grinned before throwing her arms around her best friend’s neck.

****

“You’re here! You’re all here!” she grinned as she, Heather, Jordan, and Eric settled themselves back into Mac’s living room. She and Brandon sat on opposite ends of the couch, letting Eric claim the middle seat. Jordan plopped down onto the floor to play with Jake while Heather smiled lovingly down onto them from a chair.

“We told you we would be,” Jordan said.

“But I didn’t know you would be showing up at my apartment,” she shook her head. “Way to show up unannounced Staalsy.”

“You love me,” Eric and Jordan said together causing everyone to laugh.

“That’s true. Although, I think Jake might love you a little more,” Mac smiled at her son.

“You love me little man?” Jordan asked Jake.

He stared at his ‘uncle’ in a way that perfectly mimicked his mother’s ‘you’re an idiot’ face.

“He’s you!” Heather laughed. “Oh my God! That face was perfect!”

As the three close friends chatted away, Eric took some time to catch up with his former teammate.

****

“You liking Pittsburgh, man?” he asked.

Brandon nodded. “The team and staff are great and the fans are incredible.”

“That’s what Jordan always said,” Eric agreed. “Bet your missing the warm weather down south, though.”

“Every day,” Brandon nodded watching Mac out of the corner of his eye.

“Although,” Eric muttered. “There seems to be something else keeping you warm.”

“What?”

“Oh, I just said it’s pretty warm now. For this time of year in Pittsburgh, I mean,” Eric covered.

Nodding unsurely, Brandon shrugged.

“What are you doing hanging out with Mac?” Eric asked. “Last I heard, you two hated each other.”

“She talked to Jordan then?” Brandon asked with a raised eyebrow. “We kind of… solved our differences. And I live down the hall. It’s nice knowing someone’s close in a new city.”

“I get you,” Eric nodded. “Mac, you got anything to drink?”

“Yeah, I’ll grab some stuff in the kitchen,” she smiled standing up.

“First,” Heather said holding up a finger. “Show me where the bathroom is.”

“Oh, Heather,” Mac laughed. “You’ve been here a million and one times. You can find the bathroom.”

But the blonde wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer. Instead, she grabbed her cousin’s arm and tugged her out of the room.

“Okay, I guess I’m showing you the bathroom.”

****

Once inside with the door locked, Heather turned on her cousin.

“I’ve seen the way Brandon’s looking at you,” she crossed her arms. “Time to spill.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmmm... what do you think? Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!