Status: Contest entry, let me know what you think!

Family Is All It Takes

Chapter 7

“So hockey’s kind of in your blood then, yeah?” Mac asked with her back to Brandon. She was at the stove stirring a pot of pasta. Her iPhone sat on the counter recording the interview.

“Yeah. There’s what people call the ‘1st generation’ which is made up of my dad and uncles. Then there’s the ‘2nd generation’ which is me and my cousins. Hockey was something we all just grew up with and lived for,” Brandon nodded from his seat at the table.

Taking a seat next to him, Mackenzie paged through some notes.

“Are you here to take the place of Jordan Staal?” she asked staring him right in the eye.

He couldn’t help but feel as though they had taken a step back. “No. I’m not here to be Jordan Staal. I’m here to be Brandon Sutter. I’m ready to make a name for myself in black and gold, just as I’m sure Jordan’s ready to make a name for himself in red and white.”

“Since coming to Pittsburgh, you’ve been known to party. Care to comment?” she said not taking her eyes from Brandon’s.

“I won’t lie. I’ve been to my fair share of Pittsburgh parties and bars and clubs. Maybe too many. But with the hockey season starting up, I’m ready to focus,” he said matching her stare.

Mac snorted with laughter.

“What’s so funny?” Brandon wondered.

“That is so hockey player,” she laughed. “But moving on. What’s your game plan here in the ‘Burgh?”

“Like I said, I’m ready to make a name for myself here. I’m just going to go out there and play my hardest. I’m looking forward to playing with the guys in a real game,” he said.

Mackenzie nodded and paused her iPhone. “I think that’s enough for now. Dinner’s just about ready.”

She busied herself at the stove, combining the pasta with a homemade cheese sauce. She put bread crumbs onto the cheesy pasta that was now in a casserole pan. Popping it into the oven, she turned and smiled.

“Have you seen much of the city yet?”

He shook his head. “No. I’ve been either playing hockey… or partying.”

“When’s your next day off? I’ll show you around,” she offered.

“I think Sunday. You sure you won’t need to work?”

Mac shrugged. “I could use some relaxation time myself. Besides, Jake’s been bugging me to take him to the zoo. We could do that and then hit the Strip District for dinner.”

“Sounds fun,” Brandon nodded. “Now do I get to ask you questions?”

“What do you want to know?” she asked crossing her arms and sitting back in her chair.

“You seem so close with the team. I get that you wrote an article on them already and that you and Jordan are best friends or whatever. But you’re like family with them,” he said. “How are you all so tight-knit?”

“Jordan introduced me to them before I introduced him to my cousin, Heather. We all just got along really well,” she shrugged.

“But I’ve only ever seen a bond like that with a biological family,” he said pointing a finger to Mac and her son.

“You don’t have to be blood to be family,” she stated. Pulling her long, dark brown hair up into a ponytail, she stood up. “Dinner’s ready. Mind grabbing glasses? They’re in the next cupboard over.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So... do you guys like it? Do you guys like the relationship between Mac and Brandon? Is there something you'd like to see happen? Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!