Status: Critique greatly appreciated, nitpickers welcome! Don't be a silent reader!

The Key Chased the Blade

Paranoia

"Jesus," I said. "What are we going to do now?"

Simon stated, "When school starts again, we're going to find out who's in the Green Club and Writer's Club and do our investigating there. I think that's all we can do for the moment."

"Simon," Alex said, "have you thought of trying to think this from the murderer's perspective?"

Simon turned his head and met Alex's serious face. I swore I saw their minds link or something. "Let's go back to the car and talk there," I suggested. "It's freezing."

"Okay." We piled back into the car. Frost from my shoes melted into the carpeted floor. Simon said, "I'll take you guys back home, is that all right?"

"Yeah," Tyler said. "We can meet up at school and talk there. I'll give you our numbers."

Tyler recited them and I punched them into my phone contacts. Simon and Alex were brainstorming. "I think we need a new vantage point," Alex was saying. "Instead of thinking about the victims, maybe we should think about the murderer."

Simon started up the car and nodded. "What are your thoughts?"

"I'm saying that if I were the murderer, I wouldn't attack people the way this person is," Alex said. "It's too hasty, too brutal for me. This person must be very confident about their strength and also aggressive. They also have to be smart. It would take a lot of planning to try to scare you with dead roosters. I would have to say checking out the Writer's Club would be our best bet."

"Stereotypically speaking, though," Simon said, "writers aren't very strong."

"That's what I was thinking too. But I was thinking the Green Club would be too peaceful about things to fit the aggressive nature."

I closed my phone. "I dunno, some of those Green Club guys are pretty aggressive. I tossed a candy wrapper on the ground one time and one of them chewed me out pretty badly."

"We'll just have to look at both then," Simon said. "It wouldn't hurt to be safe on that."

Both twins nodded. But then Tyler asked, "Do you think the murderer knows Alex and I are in on this now?"

I looked at Simon and he glanced at me. "I don't think so," Simon said. "At least I hope not."

Alex said suddenly, "On Monday Tyler and I could check out the clubs. The murderer won't be so suspicious if Tyler and I do it. If we're right and the murderer is in one of those clubs, they won't feel provoked seeing us instead of you. If either of you do it, it'll scare them into doing something harsh against you two."

I looked back around the seat and Alex's dark eyes met mine. It startled me to see them so concerned. "The last thing we need is someone hurt again."

I turned back around and felt something prickle in my chest. Simon said, "We're back at Winco. Will you guys be all right walking, or do you want me to take you to your house?"

"I'm okay with walking," the twins said at the same time. "Thank you."

"No problem," Simon said. He pulled over and parked in a parking spot. The twins exited. Alex and Tyler gave us both identical douche head-nods before leaving. "Text us with your numbers," Tyler reminded as he went.

"I will," I said. Simon and I watched them leave before saying something.

"Are you okay?" Simon asked.

"Yeah," I said. "This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Tyler and Alex will be really helpful. Are you okay?"

Simon didn't say anything. I looked over and punched him in the arm. "You alright, Simon?" I asked again.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he said. "I'm just really, really paranoid."
♠ ♠ ♠
We have a writer's club (Scrawl) and a green club at my school. I used to go to Scrawl but for some reason it dissipated this year.

I read over my new chapters last night and the ending just goes WHOOSH! I'll have to fix the pacing and cut a chapter and lump some together. Ah well.