Bread and Water

same old me

Her first view of the ballroom stunned her. She had heard many rumors about the beauty of this place, but none of those words compared to viewing the actual thing. The ballroom was built to comfortably fit at least a hundred guests, as she could tell by the immense size of it. It was completely round, and at the other end, she could see a set of glass doors leading out to a balcony. A large chandelier hung overhead, and Lily briefly wondered how the hosts had managed to light the hundreds of candles that it was composed of.

Although she couldn’t see it clearly because of the many people milling about, the center of the ballroom was intricately designed with the kingdom’s crest. She could see a wing every now and then before someone walked over the area. Maybe one day she could come back when there was no one around and…

She shook the thoughts away. She hadn’t even wanted to come in the first place. Why would she come again?

Someone behind her cleared their throat. Lily was suddenly very aware that she had been blocking the entrance for quite some time, and her cheeks flushed. She slowly turned around to apologize…

She saw a boy that couldn’t have been a year older than her. He was immensely handsome with bronze colored hair that seemed to shine in the light from the candles, perfectly straight white teeth that were clearly visible as he smiled gently at her, and the most startling green eyes she had ever seen.

Prince Harrison.

He smiled at her. “I don’t believe we’ve met before. I’m Prince Harrison Covington, as you should know.” He laughed as if he had amused himself, and then stuck his hand out. She tentatively took it, and they shook hands. “May I have the pleasure of learning your name?”

She stood still for a moment, shocked, before snapping out of it. “My name is Lily. Lily Holbrook.”

“That’s a lovely name.” He held out his arm for her. “May I escort you?”

Lily blushed, reaching out a shaking arm. He put his other hand on her arm, trying to hold her steady.

“Calm down, Miss Holbrook. I won’t bite,” he teased.

As they made their way down the steps, the other guests looked up to watch the prince as he descended the stairs. As they reached the bottom, Lily could hear the guests murmuring to themselves.

They’re probably wondering who he’s escorting, she thought with both pride and embarrassment. Her cheeks were flushed.

Harrison turned to her and smiled charmingly. “I wish to dance with you later, if that is all right.”

Lily, dumbfounded, could only nod. Why would the prince want to dance with her, of all people? As she glanced around, she could already see that the other girls seemed much more worthy. She recognized some of them as royals.

The prince smiled again and walked away. Many of the guests were still staring at her, probably thinking that she was so plain in her burgundy ball gown and black dancing shoes.

But that was okay. She was wondering the same thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
"At the end of the day I have myself to blame."
TLC, Unpretty