Status: Hello there, this is still a work-in-progress

Hidden Hearts are Hard to Find

Two

1.2

The city lights flickered brightly as we drove past the busy streets of New York. Everyone was in a hurry, trying to cross from one street to another. Some people were trying to usher cabs, and some were racing to the subway. It was quite a scene to watch from inside the car. Dia, on the other hand, was obviously tired from our trip and it hasn’t even ended yet. Somehow, I get the feeling that she’s already regretting helping me move.

“Hey, you okay?” I asked. She was surprisingly quiet since we'd arrived.

She nodded in response. “I am just extremely tired. WOW.”

I laughed. “It’s not like you’re the only one”

She gave me a soft smile. And then we both fell into silence once again. It wasn’t long until we reached our destination, my new home. The building had four (4) floors, and it was painted red. The walls were made with bricks, and covered with vines. It looked old-fashioned, different from the other buildings that stood by it.

“You ready?” Dia asked, as she took on of my luggage and walked up to the stairs. She rang the doorbell and after a minute or so, a woman came out.

She was probably in her 60s, gray haired and pale blue eyes. A huge smile was plastered across her face when she appeared on the door. “Good evening, you must be—” she stopped, trying to remember my name—or not.

“Charlie.” I stated.

Her face lit up even more as she opened the door fully. “Oh yes! Come in, darling.” She said. Dia went in first, pulling my luggage behind her and I followed.

The inside of the building looked even more wonderful than the outside. It gave me a warm, cozy feeling. The woman escorted us up to my flat. There’s a huge gold sign embedded on the door, Room 11. It was polished, and the door was newly-painted. Dia and I went inside and the woman excused herself. “If you girls need anything, I’ll be downstairs. Room 7! Oh, and you can call me Laura.” She stated, before disappearing down the staircase.

Dia and I exchanged brief looks before wandering off to my new home. It wasn’t the big, my flat. But it wasn’t small either. It had one extra bedroom, a bathroom, a kitchen and then my bedroom. The living room’s nice and spacious. Plus, there’s a huge-ass carpet that looked like Aladdin’s magic carpet lying on the middle.

“Oh, my God. This place is so perfect and cute.” Dia gasped when she entered the kitchen.
She’d always loved the kitchen; it was her most favourite part of the house. Whenever she gets lost in the counter, Dia would never stop cooking and baking and experimenting on food. She’d let me eat all of it, even if I didn’t want to.

I followed her there and she was sitting on the counter, swinging her feet to and fro. “Charlie, you have got to let me visit here often.”

“As long as you don’t make a mess in here, sure thing.” I laughed.

After settling in, unpacking and arranging some of my things in its place, we decided to hit the sack. Dia was unbelievably tired. She was already out and snoring when I came out of the bathroom. Tomorrow’s going to be a really long, but great day.

I lay on my back, and I glance up the window. The city lights were flashing brighter as the night deepens. I’d felt my eyes getting heavier and I didn’t fight it. Slowly, I fell asleep.

2.2
I woke up to the sound of pans crashing loudly. I jerk awake and jumped out of bed. Dia was already up and about, cracking eggs and pouring some sort of oil into a sizzling pan. “Good morning!” she hummed. The sun was sending heat waves through our window; oh I just can’t bear the heat.
“Today, we’re going to re-arrange your stuff. And the moving truck’s going to arrive today too, I’ll help you place your furniture.” She stated, flipping the now-cooked pancake on the pan.

I blinked. “What? I thought you’re heading back home?”

“Come on Charles, I rarely stay to help out. Just say thanks, will you?”

“Oh…thanks, I guess.”

She gave me a huge smile. “You’re welcome!”

Breakfast was amazing. Dia sure does know how to make pancakes. After eating, we decided to start arranging my things. Shortly, my other furniture arrived too. I’d volunteered to help carry some of my things up to my flat, since the movers were short on men. Dia, of course, stayed inside with her ripped shorts and a white V-neck shirt. She was in deep thought, probably thinking about where to put my couch or something.

“Dia, I’m gonna go down and sign some papers. Be back in a sec.” I stated. She nodded in response and I headed downstairs.

It didn’t take long to sign my moving papers. The guy in charge of my stuff was kind enough to take care of all the other things that were needed to be taken care of. He flashed me a smile before heading off.

I sighed in relief. Wow, I am now officially a New York-er.

The “Empire State of Mind” started playing inside my head as I headed back to my flat. Humming to its tune, I mindlessly wandered off the stairs, not looking and that’s where I’d bumped into him. Our eyes met as I took a step back and started blurting out apologies. He raised both his hand up, in level to his chest—trying to calm me down. “It’s okay. No worries.” He smiled.

Oh good heavens.

Okay, back it up. This is starting to sound all too cliché, don’t you all think. My mind had started to wander off as I gaze into Gray his eyes once more. It was like that moment when Annie bumped into Harvard cutie in “The Nanny Diaries”. Trust me, it’ll probably get even more cliché and cheesier as this story transcends.

Going back to the moment, I’d stopped apologizing and gave him an apologetic smile instead. He smiled at me once again and we went separate ways. I was flustered when I’d gotten back to my flat. Fortunately, Dia didn’t seem to have noticed. She was too busy arguing with herself, deciding whether my books go to my room or to the living room.
“Dia, seriously can you take a chill pill?” I stated, but she ignored me. Oh Dia.

As the day went by a bit too fast, we finally finished fixing my flat. Dia flopped down the couch with a sigh of relief. “Thank God, that’s over.” she stated. The sun was setting and the skies turned into a darker shade of orange and yellow mixed together. The clouds were a gradient of gray and red.

“It might rain.” I muttered.

Dia turned to me, wide-eyed and wondering. “It might. Well, I better head home.” She stated.
I nodded in reply. “I’ll accompany you.”

“Okay.”

We headed out. The streets were as busy as usual, and the lights had flickered brightly once again. Noise filled my ears and an ocean of people with unfamiliar faces appeared. This is definitely home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long for me to update, but hey this one's really long. OMG. My other fan fic is in hiatus, sad to say. Anyway, chapter 3 coming up right away!