Gentle Heart

Be Fearless

As she tried to grasp the air with her lungs, the young teenager stayed in her position on the ground. Her heart pounded in her ears as her body screamed out to have a moment to recover from the devastating blow her mother threw at her.

“Get up Talen.” Her mother growled.

Such intensity laced in her mother’s voice as the crunching of her boot hitting the ground made her flinch at each step. “Do not make me tell you again.”

The pink haired teen pushed her body in a sitting position, refraining from whimpering like a wounded puppy. It wouldn’t go too well if the daughter of war was to show weakness with a simple jab toward her chest would not suffice.

“I am training you to be strong, wise, and brave in the likes of men; they will always underestimate you because of your size and delicate nature.” Talen peered up to see the look of disgust cross her mother’s ferocious features at the word. “You are to be a true warrior on the battlefield not some mongrel and dashes from one patient to another. Talen, you will fight alongside your family with honor. Nothing more. Nothing less.”

The bright young girl bit the inside of her lip as she nodded stiffly, her aching body threatened to fall over after the brutal sparring match between the two. Instead, she tried to focus on her mother’s words. They were futile regardless of what she said.

She was appointed as the goddess of horses and healing not too long ago and hearing such a title belonging to the offspring of the goddess of war and wisdom and the god of trust. Her mother thought she would have a title more fitting like her older brother, Vermundr the god of protection. Sadly, she did not get what she wanted and Talen felt the disappointment and angry emitting through her mother.

Her violent nature took its course through their lessons that have become harsher and deadlier. Watching her mother, Minerva gives her one last glare before she demanded her to clean up. The sun was slowly starting to rise as Talen wiped away the grim across her pale cheeks.

She hobbled towards the exit of the small sparring space to feel a presence of another. “Who goes there?” Her voice sounded timid instead of the authoritative tone her mother used. Talen did wish she was more like he mother when it came to being fearless. The young lass loved staying in that little shell of hers and she knew that someday someone was going to destroy that shelter.

“Is that any way to talk to your prince?”

The pink haired goddess froze as flickers of green and black hit her. Loki stepped out and instantly Talen bowed apologetically, “My apologies your highness. I do not know where my head is at the moment.”

A deep chuckle escaped the younger prince’s lips as he circled around the shy goddess. “Do not fret. I do not seek attention; I only wish to see if you are doing well after that brutal beating you just took from your mother.”

Talen recoiled when his frozen fingers slid across her swollen cheek. Her grey eyes averted his gaze as she mumbled, “I’m fine.” A soft green glow surrounded her hand as she laid it on her cheek. Once she removed her hand, the bruise disappeared. “Was there anything else you wanted Prince Loki?”

The girl easily could feel her nerves take over her; for some reason the younger and darker prince always made her feel awkward and uneasy. It wasn’t the same warm and protected sense of self she felt from Thor. No, it was a little darker than that. Loki smiled at the smaller girl, “On the contrary my dear Talen. I know what you want that you cannot have.”

The glint in his eyes made her step back. Talen stuttered, composing herself. “I-I don’t k-know what you are speaking of.”

“Talen, do you realize who you are speaking to? I am the god of Lies and Mischief. There is nothing you can hide from me. I have seen the way you look at my brother in some dream like state. It is obvious where your heart lies despite you hardly knowing my oaf of a brother.”

This was why she didn’t like speaking to Loki. As soon as they started to get older, the younger prince started to get colder and bitter towards others. The Asgardians favored and practically worship Thor the rightful heir to the throne while they toss Loki aside as if he was some rag doll. She did feel bad for the younger prince, but it still did not shake off that feeling she got whenever she was around him.

Loki laced his fingers through her cotton candy colored hair, his eyes boring into her dark grey ones. “Tell me Talen. Do you ever think you will obtain everything your heart desires? To be the proud product of your mother’s daughter, fearless warrior, queen of Asgard?”

“I have no desire to be queen. Only the desire to be with Prince Thor, but I know that it will never happen. We are complete opposites and I am just merely a lovesick child that will overgrow her foolish feelings to compensate them for love that are of my equal status.”

“Equal? My dear sweet Talen, there is no equality with gods and goddess in this realm. But if you still desire to become that fearless warrior then you know where to find me.”

Within a blink of an eye Loki disappear. Talen shivered, she crossed her arms as she continued to hobble down to her quarters as the words of the prince echoed in her mind.


Talen never forgot that day; he almost coaxed her into joining him. She was so close. But she refrained herself knowing that she would devastate her father more than anyone if she twist herself into a heartless warrior her mother wanted.

Even after all the pain her parents have caused her, she missed them dearly. Glancing up at the ceiling, she wished that she was near them once more. “Talen.”

Talen turned her head slightly to see Jane walking towards her. It was safe to say that not only Jane was under the protection of Thor, but so was she. She always stumbled upon either the god of thunder himself or Jane.

“Jane.” Talen smiled in greeting. “Prince Thor finally let you out of your headquarters?”

A smile stretched upon Jane’s lips with a hint of annoyance, “I know he is only trying to protect me out of precautions, but this is ridiculous. Loki isn’t even on Earth, is he? Can’t you sense him or something?”

“I wouldn’t know Jane. I haven’t been in contact with Asgard for decades. The first time I reunited with Thor was the first time I have seen an Asgardian after I departed. I actually forgot what it felt like to be a goddess.” Talen didn’t really use her talents in Midgard; when she told All Father that she wanted to live a peaceful life that was what she wanted.

She lived a human life so far up until recently. Now that she had Anvindr back, placed on her thigh where he belonged, she felt odd having him around. The only time she had him all constantly was in Asgard; back at home at the stables she never had him on.

“Are you worried? That Prince Loki has returned?”

Talen tried to understand why Jane was acting so tense; she was in a safe environment and Thor would do anything in his power to stop Loki from touching her.

“Worried? Not at all. If I ever see that beady eyed snake he will paid for what he did.”

Watching the intensity and fire light Jane’s eyes, jealousy coursed through Talen’s veins. It was déjà vu all over again, the familiar feelings of wanting to be fearless and powerful to please her mother was resurfacing. Why now? Was Prince Loki truly back? Talen tried to tap into her Asgardian blood to track down the prince, but he was always harder to find because of his Frost Giant blood.

Distracting herself and Jane, she joked, “I guess Prince Loki better watch out or he’ll have his head handed to him.”

Jane smirked before she became serious again. Perplexed, she leaned closer to Talen as if she was going to tell her a secret. “Why do you still call Loki prince? He betrayed your people and yet you still give him respect. Why?”

Talen pursed her lips. She shrugged, “I don’t know. I guess it’s just in my nature. Loki will always be the prince of Asgard and son of All Father. There is no doubt in my mind that he was mistreated back in our homeland and if he is back I know he will be more prepared this time around. Watch your back at all times Jane. Even if you are with Prince Thor.”

Before Jane could respond to her demands, Thor stormed through the door. “Jane! Talen! Where have you been? I have been searching for you.”

“My sincerest apologies, my prince. I needed time to myself and Jane found me while she roamed freely.” Talen closely watched the golden prince, relief flashed through his features once his eyes landed on the two women.

“Is there something troubling you?” Talen pondered.

Thor pursed his lips, shaking his head. “All is well. Come, we shall spar before the day goes to waste.” That same sparkling came back into his eyes as he smirked at the pinked haired woman who chuckled.

“You don’t waste time, do you?”

His grin grew wider, “Never do.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ugh I am so so sorry. Please forgive me. I honestly was so buried in homework and projects that were all due this week and the all last month it was crazy! Good news is that I get off in two weeks then I am free to write as much as I can. I know there isn't a lot of Thor/Talen action here, but there will be along with some Avengers stuff. Thank you all for your love and support for this story. Tell me what ya'll think so far.