Blossoming Fates

Pepper Jelly

I sat on my couch alone on a stormy night. The wind was harsh and the sky shone bright with lightning every few minutes causing me to jump briefly. I was eating ice cream with pepper jelly because as of lately that was my favorite dish I craved. My swollen feet sat resting on the coffee table before me that was scattered with mail. I flicked the T.V on watching the channels flash when I decided on the show Grey’s Anatomy, which had become one of my favorite shows.
After I finished my ice cream I snuggled deeper into my large off white cashmere sweater with my hair sitting in a high messy bun still damp from my earlier shower. Grey sweatpants, which were Brian’s, were covering my chilled legs. The life of Meredith Grey and her fellow colleagues flutter onto my screen.

“Hey, Emmie, are you in there?” I hear at the front door that was locked.

“Coming,” I hollered acknowledging that voice belonged to a frazzled Payton.

“Hurry up. I’m freezing!” She shouts banging the door again and I can hear the harsh whipping winds outside.

“I’m the pregnant one, not you,” I reply opening the door letting her step inside the warmth of my home.

I look down seeing her in heels and a short red dress. Her hair fell stuck to her face as water dripped down her cheeks and nose. Black mascara and eyeliner ran lightly down her tanned face. She smiled shortly pushing her wet hair away from her face before crossing her arms. I tell her to run upstairs and grab some clothes and a shower. I watch as she leaves and turn to the kitchen warming up a mug of tea and leftovers for dinner.

“Thanks Emilee, I really appreciate it. I wasn’t planning on coming here.” She admits grabbing a forkful of pork and shuffling it into her mouth.

“I can tell since you’re looking like a hussy.” I say mentioning her rather revealing club dress, of course in a joking manner.

“Well I was at a club hanging out with some friends when Brian showed up. He punched the guy I was with when he wouldn’t stop grabbing me after I asked.” She frowned as I began chuckling.

She explains the entire story, but I could see how thrilled she was about Brian’s actions. I could see the two were close to getting back together. I watched as her eye lifted with life at the mention of Brian’s name. Payton hadn’t had the best luck with guys, and it was different with me and my exes. Payton had been hit before in high school and she’d also been pregnant once at sixteen but the father hadn’t wanted Payton or the baby and ended up having a miscarriage. I love Payton like another sister and Brian was perfect for her.

“I want to give him another shot at something with me.” She finally says to me and I smile widely at her.

“That’s great!” I say excitedly hugging her.

“I’m going to go see him tomorrow or the next day.” She explains folding her hands in her lap and brings her legs up to her body.

“He’ll be thrilled Pay, you have no idea how broken he was without you.” I state hoping she wasn’t going to use his state as a way to get even.

“I was just as broken, I really lo-like Brian.” Payton says briefly knowing that I caught on to her almost statement.

“As long as you know how you feel,” I say smiling at my best friend.

“I know as much of my feelings on Brian as you do on Zacky.” She replies and I only look at the T.V.

“It won’t work in my case.” I say slowly wanting that to sink in my mind.

“It could if you just tried.” Payton says urging me to fight against my last sentence, “He couldn’t take his eyes off of you as you talked with Brian on Turkey day.” She quietly mumbles.

“He did?” I ask bewildered.

She nods her head happily and I can see the light twinkle within her eyes as she looks at me admitting her feelings. She curls up on the recliner as another show carries on which seemed good enough. I sat on the couch for nearly an hour before looking over and seeing Payton completely asleep on the seat. I laughed lightly before tossing a brown throw blanket over top of her.

I shuffle up the stairs feeling the baby kick gently inside of me. I inform the child he should be sleeping at this hour of the night and the movement stops inside. I lay back onto the bed by myself thinking how nearly December was here along with Zacky’s birthday was approaching soon too. My baby’s due date in January was closing in on me and Brian. Things seemed to be making perfect sense and I wanted them to only get better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment and Subscribe aaaaaaaaaaand enjoy my newest Matt Sanders story Nighmares for the Damned :)
--Lindsey Ann