Status: I'll start it by the end of the month, I'm sure!

Be With Someone...

Big, Fat I-Told-You-So.

“You really didn’t need to give me a ride home, Kris,” Janine smiled to him as they pulled up outside her apartment.

Kris nodded. “I know. But it wouldn’t have been right for me to make you wait while Sidney talked with the media for God-knows how long.”

“Well thank you anyway,” she said gathering up her purse from the floor of the car. “I’m grateful it was you and not Max.”

Laughing, Kris thought of something. “Will you need a ride tomorrow? I can pick you up.”

Janine paused with her hand on the door handle. “Um, I do. And yes, that would be- that would be great.” The stutter hadn’t been part of the response she had planned out.

Kris smiled brightly. “Great. I’ll see you tomorrow around 8:30. Is that alright?”

Janine nodded. “Sure, that’d be perfect. Here, let me give you my cell number in case something changes.”

Fumbling for his iPhone, he traded devices with Janine. Tapping his number onto the screen, he couldn’t help but watch Janine out of the corner of his eye. She moved her fingers over the screen before stopping to make sure all of the information was correct.

“Wouldn’t want you texting another girl, now would I?” she laughed.

“No, I don’t think you would,” Kris agreed.

“I should go,” Janine said opening up the door. “Thanks again, Kris.” She put her hand on top his which was lying on the center console. “I really appreciate it.”

“Anytime, Janine,” he said quietly as she got out of the car.

*****

“So how was it?” a voice asked Janine as she entered her apartment.

Yelping in shock and dropping her purse, Janine’s eyes darted around.

“Rory!” she gasped. “What the hell?”

“Sorry,” her cousin giggled. “I couldn’t resist. But seriously, you and Kris have been getting chummy?”

Janine scowled. “We have not been getting chummy. He’s just a nice guy.”

“How much do you know about this nice guy?”

“Enough, thank you,” she huffed. “Now what are you doing in my house?”

“Apartment, Jeanie,” Rory corrected. “And is it a crime to come visit my cousin?”

“No,” Janine shook her head. “But it is a crime to go through her mail. That’s a federal offense.”

“I just wanted to make sure he wasn’t sending you anything,” Rory frowned. “Have you heard from him lately?”

Janine sighed before shuffling off into her kitchen.

“Have you?” Rory repeated.

“No,” Janine said flatly. “I haven’t. And in all honesty, I don’t think I should be. He cheated on me, I broke up with him. End of story.”

“I told you from the beginning that Mike was a douche,” Rory sighed.

Janine slammed her hands onto the kitchen table.

“I know, Rory. Trust me, I know. We can’t all have a high school sweet heart like Sidney that comes back into our lives like something out of a fucking movie, okay? We can’t all have the fairytale life that the two of you seem to have together. I’m dealing with plenty right now and I don’t need to be hearing a big, fat I-told-you-so!” Janine wiped a few tears from her eyes.

Rory softened. “Aw, Jeanie. I’m sorry I brought it up. I just never liked him, that’s all. And I knew you could do so much better. Don’t cry, babe. Please don’t.”

Rory wrapped her arms around her cousin and they stood in the kitchen like that, hugging, for a long while.

“You want to tell me about your first day?” she offered, trying to change the subject.

Janine shook her head. “Not right now. I think I’m going to go sleep. I’m exhausted.”

Rory nodded. “Sure thing, cuz. I’ll lock up on my way out.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy cow! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update! I've gotten so caught up in a whole bunch of things. My bad, guys. But yeah. Here it is. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!