Sequel: High Tide
Status: Finished.

Waves

~Seven: It's Neither Good or Bad~

I woke up early and took a hot shower. My faced had been sticky and puffy from crying myself to sleep, but over the past six years I found it normal. I rinsed and scrubbed at myself, trying to shake the sadness creeping back into me. I though of Jason and his warm personality, but I felt something missing every time he touched and held me. Again I shook that foreboding feeling and shut the water off. I noticed dad's loud snoring had subsided and he was moozying around loudly to let me know he was awake. I put on light make up and my hair in a messy bun. I heard the sound of the shower going as I pulled on a red and blue stripped tank top. I grabbed some short jeans and sunglasses ready for the hot and humid day. I quickly made breakfast, making enough for us both.

"Hey sweetie," dad said lazily. I handed him a plate and we sat down.

"Morning," I smiled. I chewed slowly and let waited for him to be more awake. "So, I was thinking about going to visit Miami today," I said carefully.

"Hmm," he chewed, "well, don't stay too late. It's a fairly big city and I don't want anything happening to you late at night."

"I'll make sure I'm back early," I smiled placing the dirty plates in the sink. I ran the water and washed them till they were cleaning. I put them away and grabbed purse and keys to the Corolla. It was a two hour drive one way and traffic didn't help either. Apparently people liked to go into work late on Monday mornings, not that I blame them. Once in the city, I found parking to be a pain in the ass and shoved my way into a small parking space on the side of the road. Thank God for a small car. I began by finding a tourist information spot and got a map, from there I marked places I wanted to go and good restaurants near by. By six I had finished eating and was walking to my car the was four blocks down. My feet ached from the long day. By 7:15 I was on the road home, that is, until my car began to sputter and die out as I pulled to the side. Shit.

"Great just great," I muttered. I pulled out my cell and noticed I had no reception. Fuck. I sighed and thought of other things that could help. I could knock on someones door and ask to use a phone. That thought vanished as I looked around and saw the creepiest homes. Nope. "What should I do?" I sat there thoughtless for hours. Eventually I had knocked on the houses near by and saw the eviction notices and quickly retreated to my care. It was nine and I was so in trouble when or if I made it home. I bumped my head on the steering wheel out of fustration and yelped. That was a little to hard. Owie. I heard the screeching of tires not five minutes later and sighed in relief, but tensed when I noticed a tall man walking my way. This could either be good or bad. I heard a knock on my window and I looked up to see a pair of blue eyes... shit. It was Niether good or bad, it was much much worse.

"You okay," he asked. Yeah dumbass, I'm fine, just been stranded out here for more than two hours, I thought bitterly. What do you think!?

"Just peachy," I said sarcastically. Ugh if you'd of known. "What are you doing here?"

"Helping a damsel in distress," he teased. I rolled my eyes.

"Well you're not much help at the moment," I stated.

"Pop the hood," he ordered. Bossy much? I did as told and then got out coming to his side and sighing.

"So what's the problem? Need a jump start?" I said. He raised an eyebrow an then went back to his probing. "Well..."

"Well you don't need a jump start. Try starting it up?" he again ordered. I stomped back and began turning my key in the ignition. "Stop!" I heard him cry and I quickly turned it off and ran to the front of the car.

"What!?" I asked.

"Some kind of engine problem. I need to get it to Charlie though," he said.

"Who?" I again asked.

"I work with Charlie at his mechanics shop about ten mikes outside of Miami," he said for clarification. I groaned. That means my car needs to go back a hour away from home. "Wow, you really lucked out," he said looking at his phone, "no cell reception."

"No shit," I said irritated. I was so dead when I got home. Dead. Dead. Dead. I pulled at my hair. He smirked and walked back to his car pulling out a radio. He said a few words into it and then put it back. "What was that?"

"It's for emergencies like this. Let's me call police, ambulance, or a tow truck," he said. I sighed in relief and slumped against my car. "How long have you been out here?"

"Long enough," I said. "Seems like I have a great start to my day and in the end it goes down hill."

"What do you mean?" he asked. I would've thought him to be nosy, but his eyes looked so sincere and warm. Again was that trust feeling and after a long stressful day I began to ramble.

"I've always had it rough. At school I was the ugly duckling, everyone thought I was different, and stupid since I wasn't much of a talker. When I was twelve and my life seemed to be going up hill it came crashing down on one night. My mom was having and affair and my dad caught her sleeping in our house with that boy. It was a big fight and by morning she was gone. My little sister was so devastated. She was a mommas girl and I was a daddy's girl. My dad fell into a depression and cut us off. I took over then. I cooked, cleaned, and fed us all. I practically raised Lacey, my sister, but around high school I was fed up. I had my second real boyfriend who was a real bad guy. He sold drugs, but I made sure to stay away at those moments. I hadn't noticed Lacey had fallen into a depression as well. I found her one night dead, she hung herself. Dad woke up after that and together we got my ex in jail. We then moved here for a new start," I said explaining my life story. I looked over and saw Tristan had moved close and was rubbing my shoulders. I felt my skin rise and prickle at his touch and I shivered.

"I know it's a stupid thing to say, but I'm sorry," he said with sad eyes. Again the look of sincerity was there and I blushed. I was so cold to him, yet he was actually so kind to me.

"It pains me to see my dad so on edge. We both are careful not say much but we both keep a strong connection to what we lost," I said.

"How?" he said occupying my time or... a part of me thought, to know you better. To be closer.

"I have things in my room that used to be Lacey's favorite. Always, if I can, I'll drink raspberry tea or smoothie. It was her favorite. My mom is harder for me though. She just left and in rage my dad broke and threw away a lot of her stuff. I don't hate him for it though," I said.

"You really are a trooper ya know? Despite what has happened you've been able to move on in a lot of ways," he smiled. I let a tear fall and then quickly wiped it away. The tow truck came and picked my car up. I gave Tristan my cell number to call me when my car was ready. He also gave me a ride home in his boss' nice vintage 1967 Chevy Impala. Apparently he usually drove a blue 1200cc Suzuki crotch rocket, but it was in the shop. I was thankful I didn't have to get on a bike. That's how great uncle Dave died. We talked little and when I brought up Jason the conversation seemed to die completely. In fact his demeanor seemed to change from sincere to anger at just hearing Jason's name. Once in cell range I called my dad saying the Corolla broke down and I had to wait forever for a tow truck. I got home close to midnight. I said good-bye and then sauntered inside where my dad was upstairs in bed. I checked on him like usual and then walked into my room too exhausted to do anything except through a pair of comfy PJs on and sleep. That's exactly what I did.
♠ ♠ ♠
So my original of this chapter got messed up. I was going to post this yesterday night, but well it got deleted and I forgot to save, stupid me :3 I rewrote it and I have to say it came out better than the original ;) again thanks to all my subscribers (whoever you are) and commenters!!! So happy you all are liking my story! Oh I'm sorry for misspellings and errors. No time today :3 Don't forget:

Recommend, Comment, and Subscribe!!!