Status: Hopefully a better rewrite (fingers and hearts crossed)

Take This to Your Grave

I'm only a liar, but I'm the best

I was awaken in the evening, upon hearing my dad arguing with someone. It was more than likely Amy, because it was a woman's voice. I had heard my name, and I sat up; my fingers ached, so the day played off in my head.

I climbed out of bed, again, the arguing was loud and it was bothering me. I could barely reminisce about my hazy kiss with Pete, because of the yelling. The shouts were about me, Pete and parenting. All of it made my nerves shoot through me and my stomach knot. I opened my bedroom door; the argument became clearer. I was afraid to hear it, but I listened anyway.

"I don't think you're being fair to her," Amy repeated this over my dad stating facts about something. "She's a kid, let her make mistakes!"

My dad's fact stating stopped. "Mistakes? I won't let her make those mistakes! She's 16 years old, she'll be off at college next year, and I still won't let her make any mistakes!"

"You need to let her grow up!"

"I did!"

The room was quiet, and I nearly leaned over the railing to hear then breathe.

"I let her go with Marlena, because I figured Naomi would grow up and learn something since her mom did finish college," my dad grumbled angrily, "Apparently I was wrong since Naomi has been taking care of herself for the past 11 years! I thought I was doing something good, I really did," his voice got softer and I inched closer. "I want to set rules and be better than she's always told me about living in New York was like for her. I thought it was good Marlena was strict, but not in the way that was suppose to be good, she just controlled Naomi..."

Amy mumbled something I hadn't catched. "...She doesn't want to be controlled and that's what you're doing. She listens to you, Lee, and she loves you. Naomi is a girl, she's gonna like boys and have boyfriends--"

"Not him." My dad muttered, cutting her off. "Anyone but him."

"What's so wrong with him?" Amy questioned, "From all you've told me, he's just a punk kid who likes loud music and tattoos."

"He gets into trouble, and the people he hangs out with--"

"Hey," Amy began, "If she's hanging out with Pete, she's hanging out with them. Has anything happened? No. She's responsible, Lee...a lot more so than you give her credit for."

"I know she's responsible, I can handle her, it's those boys. I was their age, Amy, and I messed up--"

"You didn't mess up--"

"Yes I did!" My dad exclaimed, "I had a kid. I lost my goddamn scholarship..."

"Did you not tell me that taking care of Naomi was a lot better than stressing over school?"

There was silence.

Amy spoke, "You said that, Lee. You said you loved to work on the weekends so you could be with her the entire week. You told me that, and don't deny it."

"I don't want Naomi to want that," my dad said quickly, "She should go to school, do the things I didn't get to do."

"That's her decision, Lee. It's hers, not yours."

"Like hell," he muttered, "She's going to college. I've been saving up so she could go anywhere she wants. I'll be damned if she asks Marlena for anything."

"Let Naomi live her life," Amy stressed, "We talked, and as far as I know, and what she's told me, she isn't having sex with Pete. They're friends--"

"It's bad enough he was living next door; I had to find out he was sneaking into her bedroom."

Amy sighed, "Don't be so angry; the two of you are so hardheaded. I see where she gets it from."

"She didn't get my common sense." He added.

"I think you should apologize to her."

"I did."

"Do it again." She urged. "The poor girl is probably feeling extremely lonely right now."

Their voices died down and I decided to head down. I was hungry, and I was tired of waiting. My feet were heavy as I made my way down the stairs, and they immediately looked at me when I entered the living room. My dad waved, "How are you?"

"I'm starving. Can we have pizza?"

Amy smiled, "I'll call. You sit down with your dad, Naomi."

I nodded, "Alright."

Amy left the living room and I sat down on the couch next to my dad. He looked at me, his eyes looking down at my hand, "I'm sorry."

I chuckled, "I'm the one who smashed the dashboard. But, it is your truck, so I think you owe me in damages."

"Damages?" He smirked.

"Yeah. How else am I suppose to give excellent handjobs now? I'm out of work--"

"Naomi." He warned.

"I'm just kidding," I laughed, "Geez, dad."

He exhaled through his nose; "Are you still mad at me?"

"Partly." I answered as I snatched the remote from the coffee table. "I think I deserve some ass kissing."

"In your dreams."

"Then I'm mad at you." I said with a shrug; I turned the TV on.

"Naomi, I don't want you to get caught up in something--"

I cut him off, "Dad, I understand. Really. No more Pete."

He frowned slightly, "What?"

"No more Pete. We won't talk or anything. I promise."

I was such a liar.

"But, are you friends with his friends?"

I raised a brow, flipping through the channels, "No. They're old. I just hang out with Kate, and Kate's brother is Pete's friend. We'll see each other, but we won't be alone or talk."

"You promise?"

I nodded, lying right to his face, "I promise, dad. No more Pete."

"I mean it." He added wearily.

"He won't climb up in my bedroom and I won't be alone with him at Kate's, honest. You can call Kate and her parents and warn them."

I said all this because I knew my dad wouldn't call the Gutierrez's. I knew my dad like the back of my broken hand. He would fall for my bluff and I didn't even feel bad for it.

My dad nodded slowly, "Okay. But I ever see him in this house or near you when he isn't suppose to be I'll strangle him."

"Okay, geez!" I gave a fake widened, surprise look to reel him in.

My dad smiled, "Thank you."

I murmured back; "No need to thank me, dad."

•••

I felt a bit better when I returned to school; my dad allowed me to go to school with Kate. Upon seeing me at school, Kate began to ask me a million questions, especially about my hand. I had answered a select few, explaining that I got pissed and my dad relented in letting me hang out with her. I didn't tell her about Pete or anything; I wanted that to myself, but, we got to lunch, she had pulled me to the side and gave me a look.

"What?" I asked her; "If I miss the chili-cheese fries I'll never forgive you, Katy."

She looked around and then we started off towards the cafeteria; "Did you talk to Pete about Alicia?"

I nodded, "Yeah. They didn't hook up, he said he grabbed one of her boobs and that's all."

Kate scoffed, "I knew she was lying."

"I'm not bothered by it, so lets not rehash it, okay?"

She nodded, "Okay, Naomi. So, are you coming over after? Babe misses you."

"Yep. If Pete's there, don't let my dad know or anything. I told him we wouldn't talk anymore."

Kate smirked at me, "Look at you Ms. Rebel."

"My dad doesn't want me to get knocked up."

She narrowed his eyes, "Are you fucking him?"

"No, Kate." I muttered.

"Just makin' sure." She and I got in line; "Seth has been asking about you, you know. He called and he said your dad shut him down."

"I gotta apologize to him." I thought out loud.

"Seth is so into you, it's kinda gross." Kate made a face.

"Is he really?" I asked curiously.

Kate hummed, "He won't shut up about you, just wait."
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler. Filler. Filler.
It'll be better, promise :)