Sequel: Road to Nowhere
Status: In Progress... updates are random

The Great Escape

Twins

“Izzy”

It’s been twenty five days since our first test, and right now, we were on our 26th. Three levels, that was all we had to go through, but we never realized just how exhausting the first one would be, and the moment we got done with the last level, we were beat. I wanted to sleep, but I knew there were three more hours before I could even go to bed.

Whenever we got to the cafeteria, we took our usual seats and started to eat. There were only two have joined the facility since we’ve been here. Even though we’ve tried talking to them, they gave us the cold shoulder. They still were too.

I watched them silently as they picked at their food, heads close together, and they silently speaking. I wanted to know what their powers were, but I thought it felt rude to go and ask- wait, what am I saying? I’m not that nice.

I got up and I walked over to their table, taking a seat. I ignored the protest the girls had. I sat down next to the boy, who liked a few years younger than me. “Hey there, kiddos,” I said, resting an elbow on the table.

They looked at me with mild interest, and turned back to each other. They were a boy and a girl, and they seemed to be twins, “Okay, if you two don’t want to talk, that’s fine- actually, no, it’s not! Don’t give us the cold shoulder. We’re here together, might as well as many friends as possible.”

The boy snorted, “Friends? With you three? We’re not getting involved with brainwashed freaks like yourselves!”

“Jason! That’s not nice!” The girl said, reaching to grab her brother's arm.

He raised his hands in the air before she could touch him, his face held no sense of remorse. “What do you expect, Tina? We can’t stay in here! Not after what they did to us. We’re nothing more than experiments to them. Another research project. Once they’re done with us, they’ll just throw us away. No more comfy beds, tasty food, nor clean clothes. It’ll be over for us-”

“Hey! Okay, okay, we get it,” I said to Jason. “I didn’t come over to try and brainwash you or anything. We’re well aware of the situation, but I was just wondering about you two. I was wondering what they did to you.”

I watched as the girl tried to grab the boy’s hand, and he pulled away, “Well, my brother can see the memories of people with a single touch.”

I rested my chin on my hand, “And what about you, sweetie?”

She swallowed, “Well, I can tell when somebody is lying…”

“Oh really? Like how?” I asked, getting interested.

“I don’t really know,” she said, scrunching up her shoulder's some, “I just can.”

“Yeah, so you know about us, what about you?” The boy asked, forcing his voice low.

“Well, I’m very strong,” I said, “Holly over there can read minds, and Bailee has super senses.”

“That’s cool,” Tina said, smiling, “Um… If Jason doesn’t care, can we sit with you?”

She looked at Jason, whose young features crunched in thought, “I don’t care.”

I slapped his shoulder, “Awesome, come on.”

The boy jerked his body away from me. “Oh,” I said, raising my hand away from him, “Sorry.”

He shook his head, “No, it’s nothing.”

That was weird, but whatever. They came over to us, and they spoke to us for a while. Having a few 18 and a 17 year old talk to two 13 year old kids was sort of new with us. Jason was an awkward boy, but I could tell he looked after his younger twin sister. We got to know each other, and soon the days after that, they became quick friends.