Status: ongoing

We Were Both Young

Another One?

Image

A week later, I was kissing Jack on the forehead and telling him to be good for the guys. He would be gone one month, but it would be the longest he’s ever been away from me. I knew they would take good care of him, but I’m a mom and I worry.

Zacky stood beside him at the foot of the bus steps, ready to bid me farewell yet again. We weren’t together yet, but time will tell where our relationship goes. Jack hopped up the steps and disappeared into the bus. I stood, looking at Zacky with a worried expression.

“He’ll be fine. I’m great with kids. And I’ll even make him eat his green vegetables.” He told me, and then kissed me gingerly.

I smiled.

“Ok. Be home no later than July 3rd.” I told him, and kissed him.

We hugged tightly for a few seconds, and then he pulled away and walked onto the bus. The guys all waved at me through the window as it pulled out of the parking lot. When I couldn’t see it anymore, I finally walked back to my car and went home, alone.

I worked a lot that week, and so did Danielle. We hadn’t seen each other much. So on Friday, we decided to go to lunch. We met up at Logan’s and ordered immediately because we were hungry. Then we just talked.

“I really like Zacky. He’s good for you. I like seeing the way you smile when he’s around. Please keep him!” she told me.

“He’s definitely staying. But I miss him already and its only been a week. I miss Jack too. His laugh just keeps echoing in my head all day every day. Its kind of sad.” I confided in her.

“Oh, he’ll be fine. Zacky’s great with him. Too bad he wasn’t around when Jack was just a couple months old. He was a colicky one.”

“Hell yeah he was. I miss when he was a baby. Maybe one day, Zacky and I will have another.”

She nodded, and our food came quickly. We ate, paid and said goodbye so we could get back to work.

Three weeks later, one day before Zacky and Jack were coming home, I power cleaned the house and organized all of Jack’s toys. I did everyone’s laundry, and went grocery shopping for a nice meal.
In the middle of my cleaning, the door opened and Jack’s voice rang through the house like an angel’s song.

“Mommy, mommy, mommy!” he cried.

I came out into the hall and kneeled down to catch him as he launched himself into my arms.

“I missed you honey.” I told him, holding him on my hip.

“Me and daddy had so much fun. I got to see the ocean, and the white house, and even the house that Elvis lived in!” he cried happily.

I laughed, and saw Zacky come slowly towards me. I set Jack down.

“Go look in your room; I cleaned it for you while you were gone.”

He ran out of the room and down the hall. I turned to Zacky, and collapsed into his arms, hugging him tight. He hugged back just as tight, and kissed my cheek.

“I missed you babe.” He said.

I pulled away and looked into his green eyes. I had missed him too.

Later that night, Danielle had come home and had her reunion with Jack while Zacky helped me make a homemade pizza for dinner. Of course we let Jack put the toppings on. After I popped it in the oven, Zacky followed me into the bedroom so we could have some a lone time while our son was distracted.

He plopped onto the bed with a sigh and just as I was about to join him, I heard the front door open. Suddenly the house was loud and booming with the voices of 4 hungry men. I followed Zacky out to the living room where the guys all sat, talking.

“If you guys are here for the pizza, there’s not enough to go around.” I announced.

“We already ate its cool.” Matt replied, and then turned on the TV.

Once the pizza was done, Jack ate in the living room with Danielle and the guys, while Zacky and I took our food into the bedroom. We both sat on the bed and watched TV.

“So, are you my girlfriend again?” he asked with a mouthful of food.

I looked at him and smiled.

“Of course I’ll be your girlfriend, again.” I replied with a laugh.

I ended up spewing pizza across the room, which caused us both to laugh hysterically. Suddenly, my stomach turned over. Was this pizza not agreeing with me?
Then it flopped again. My eyes went wide, and I set my plate down to make a run for the bathroom. I hurled a couple good times into the toilet, and Zacky was by my side instantly; rubbing my back. When I felt better, I sat on the cold tile while he handed me some toilet paper. I wiped my mouth off and tossed it into the bowl, flushing it.

“What was that all about?” he asked.

“Your guess is as good as mine.” I told him, confused also.

Then his face became very serious.

“What if you’re pregnant?” he asked.

“Don’t be redic-“ I paused, and began to think back to the night we made love.

We definitely didn’t use a condom.

“You’re probably right. We should take a test.”

“I’ll go. You lay in bed, just in case you have to puke again.” He told me, leading me over to the bed and helping me lay down. He kissed my forehead and left in a flash.

I laid in bed, thinking to myself. Should I really be having another baby right now if I am pregnant? I don’t think Zacky wants one. This is going to be awful.

Zacky got home shortly, with three different types of pregnancy tests. I went into the bathroom, and took them all. Then set them on the counter and waited.
Zacky sat, quiet and calm. I paced around the room.

“Why are you so worried?” he asked.

“What if I’m pregnant?” I asked.

He shrugged.

“Then we have a baby. Its really quite simple.” He answered.

“You don’t want a baby do you?” I asked.

He looked at me with a smile on his face.

“If its with you, I’ll have a million babies.”

My heart just melted. Now that was love.

I looked towards the bathroom. It was time to check the tests. I crept slowly into the bathroom, covering my eyes until I bumped the counter. Then I uncovered them and looked down at all three tests.

Number one: +

Number two: +

Number three: +

I guess we’re having a baby then…

Zacky came in behind me, and looked at the tests.

“See? That wasn’t so bad. This just gives me the opportunity to catch up on what I missed with Jack.” He said.

I sighed heavily, and went into the bedroom. I lay down under the covers.

“Fine, if you want to have a baby, then go put Jack to bed, because I’m going to sleep.” I told him, and closed my eyes.