Nuclear Genocide

Chapter Five

Alfonse stood before a confused Jermaine. The fact that he wanted to come along with them in his current drunken state confused him.

"Wait. You're going with us, on a run to look for supplies?" Kristy asked.

"Yeah, I've got nothing better to do. I figured it would be fun."

"You think it would be fun?" Jermaine said. Kristy and John laughed.

"Maybe you should sober up first." John said. Leah came up and pulled Jermaine aside.

"Leah, tell me he's kidding. It would be one thing if he was sober and if I knew him better. But he's a drunk." Jermaine said. Leah sighed.

"Yes I know, but this could be a reason for him to sober up. Right now not including your group, there are two other groups of people that go out and scavenge. Neither of them likes him because he's a drunk."

"And what makes you think I don't feel the same."

"Listen, I'm asking you to give him a chance. Bane will be with you guys to keep him in check." Bane ears turned in the direction of him name. He walked over to Leah and sat down. She knelt beside him and looked into his eyes. "Bane, I want you to watch over Alfonse while you guys are away."

"This isn't a good idea." Jermaine said. Leah ignored him. She pointed over to Alfonse.

"Remember Bane, watch after Alfonse. Don't let him get into anything." Bane closed his open mouth as to signal okay. When he stood up Bane trotted over to Alfonse and stood by his side. Leah patted Jermaine on the shoulder and grinned. "Don't worry, I compensate you this time. I know your kind short on supplies."

"Indeed we are." He said. Leah handed him a book bag.

"Have Alfonse carry this. It's full of ammo." Jermaine nodded.

"Alright, I take him. But if he gets killed." Leah nodded.

"I know, it will be my own fault." She said. Jermaine nodded and walked back to the group. He handed Alfonse the book bag.

"What's this for?" He asked. Jermaine handed him a Glock 18 pistol.

"You're carrying the ammo." Jermaine said. They loaded their guns and headed for the door. Alfonse followed them with Bane at his side. One of the two guards at the door opened the door.

"Good luck." He said. Jermaine nodded as they left the city and walked into the street.

"So where do you want to go?" Jermaine asked. Kristy and John glared at him.

"You mean to tell us you don't even know where to begin?" Kristy asked.

"Not to mention we don't have a vehicle." John said.

"I think I can solve that." Alfonse said. He pointed over to a truck on the side of the camp. There we're other vehicles as well sitting there. They had been modified with steel panels, flood lights and barricades on the bumpers.

"What is this?" Jermaine asked.

"It's basically and garage. We keep our vehicles here. You think people walk everywhere?" Alfonse said with a smile. He walked over to the truck. It was a black 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 with four doors.

"Wow, this thing is old. It still runs?" Jermaine said. Alfonse got into the driver seat while Jermaine got in the passenger seat. Kristy and John climbed into the back.

"Yes it still runs, and it's still the world's fastest full sized pick up truck." Alfonse replied. He started the engine. He revved the engine as it roared to life. Alfonse put it in drive and floored. The wheels spun as the 500 horsepower 8.3 liter V10 propelled them forward. He sped down the street weaving in and out of parked or destroyed cars.

"Hey isn't there a law against drunk driving?" John yelled from the back.

"You really want to try to stop him? Kristy said.

"Hey Alfonse, stop we don't even know where we're going." Jermaine said. Alfonse pressed a button on the steering wheel and a computer pad came from his visor. He took it and handed it to Jermaine.

"Open the map and choose a place. It's currently set to track the towns around our camp within a fifteen mile radius."

"What's the point of that?" John asked. Alfonse turned a corner and sped along.

"Since the demolition of this country the survivors have set up a system that delivers information about cities and town that the Genomes occupy. Things like how many people have died in that area and how dangerous it is." Jermaine tapped the screen. It came to life showing their current location. He used his finger to look at other cities that surrounded their camp. Alfonse got onto the highway.

"Hey let's try Quinstist. About thirty people have died their. That should be a good start." Alfonse nodded then U-turned the truck. Everyone held on for dear life as the truck turned around.

"I take it you like to drive like a maniac?" Kristy said. Alfonse shook his head.

"I'm just cruising here. You should see me in a car." Kristy sighed as the shot down the long highway.

Back at Forganter

Drake was sitting in a chair in front of his shack sleeping when Leah walked up to him.

"Drake, get the hell up!" She said. Drake opened one eye and closed it again.

"What is it? I was having a dream about ponies." Leah shook her head.

"You'll be seeing stars if you don't get up." Drake got up yawning.

"Alright you got me up, what do you want." He said. Leah picked up her gun. It was a AK-74 assault rifle with a ACOG scoop and dual magazine.

"One of our shipments is late. I want to go check it out."

"Alright, I've got nothing better to do." Drake said. He stepped inside his shack and a moment later came back with a TPG-1 sniper rifle. Leah nodded. "Where's Bane?"

"I sent him with Alfonse. He's scavenging with Jermaine and his friends."

"I see, are we taking your truck?" Drake asked. Kristy thought for a moment.

"No we need something tough. Do you still have the keys your Marauder?" Drake smiled. He reached into his pocket and smiled. Leah smiled as well.

"Alright let's go.