Status: This is the 1st time I have ever tried to put pen to paper for the stories in my head. Please provide feed back and comments it will help me to know if I am moving in the right direction and if I should continue. Thanks K

Embraces the Night

Chapter 10

“I’ve found him master and even better I’ve found his unclaimed mate. Me thinks I can kill him with no problem and take his mate as my own.” This was not the first time Rex had heard these exact words from Slade. Slade was by nature a stupid creature driven by the baser instinct. Each time he caught whiff of an Astanian he always assumed it was him.

Time after time however, it had been just another Astanian, and well... Rex was pleased to rid the earth of as many Astanian as he could, what he really wanted was the death of his brother Boethius Mulius. Oh he was sure he had some updated human name by now, just as Rex did. It wasn't like he could walk around with a name like Rhexenor in this day and age. But he would find his brother under any name he called himself and he would make him pay.

A mate he thought, if this is Boethius, a mate would make his revenge so much better. He might even allow good old Slade to keep her as a play thing. What better way to get his revenge. It was after all his brother's fault that Rex had lost his mate. He would pay.

“Found him did you Slade? I am getting rather tired of hearing you claim every Astanian you come across is Boethius. How pray tell have you identified him this time?”

He leaned over and picked the whip up from the end table and cracked it against the floor where Slade stood. He was fucking tired of Slade coming home with this news. So many times in the past 15 years and each time it hadn't been Boethius. Perhaps a real good beating would be the incentive Slade needed to get it right.

Slade could hear the agitation in his master’s voice. He didn't like to upset master. Master got mean when he was angry. The flesh on Slade’s back still hadn’t healed from the last time master punished him.

Slade’s body sank down onto the floor until he was almost lying flat on his stomach. He thought if he kept his body low in subservience and his eyes to the floor master might hear him out before the beating began.

Slade wasn’t going to be that lucky today. The kick landed hard in in his kidneys followed by the whip landing painfully hard against his lower back. The initial pain from the kick and the whip caused a whimper to escape his throat.

“Don’t you dare fucking start whining you little maggot. Start fucking telling me what you think you know right now before I kick your fucking teeth out and finish slicing the flesh from your disgusting bones.”

Slade forced the pain out of his mind and continued “Master, I knows it’s him. I saws his mark master. I saws his mark and it, it was just like yours.” His mark thought Rex. Perhaps the maggot finally had gotten it right.