My Jolly Sailor Bold

Different than normal

“My heart is pierced by cupid,
I disdain all glittering gold,
There is nothing that can console me,
But my Jolly Sailor Bold.”

Next to me a heard a loud sigh, and had to smile. “Tifo, what’s the matter now?”

“Why can’t you pick a regular song to sing instead of that disgusting human song?” He had a frown upon his face and I couldn’t help but laugh at how cute he looked.

“Just because it was written by humans to portray us as evil sirens doesn’t mean it’s not a pretty song.” I stated and kept on swimming, from the corner of my eye I could see Tifo giving me a dirty look.

“Araxie, if I didn’t know any better I’d say that you almost like humans.” His accusation was about spot on but to hell if I was going to let him know that. I stopped swimming and turned to face him, a serious look painted on my face.

“Tifo, you’re my best friend, you know me better than anyone. Do you think I like humans?” It was a trick question, and I knew it. Tifo was my best friend, but he also sees what he wants to see and blocks everything else out.

“No, but the way you talk about them makes me worry. You know the law. I just don’t want you getting into trouble.” I scoffed at that.

“Tifo it is against the law to make contact, not to talk about them. So chill out!” I snapped and quickly swam off.

Stupid Tifo, he’s ignorant like everybody else around here. Everyone is so afraid of humans that we end up thinking the worst about them based on a few mistaken facts that we ourselves caused because we’re too afraid to set the record straight.

I looked up towards the sky I swam. It looked beautiful under the water, but how I longed to look at it from above. I wished that our stupid laws weren’t so harsh. They were full of hatred towards humans.

1. Never make contact with a human.
2. Never breech the surface of the water.
3. Never save a human.
4. Do not leave any evidence of yourself to a human.

These rules were ridiculous and showed just how scared our people really are. It makes me sick to think that these people, who are my kin, are cowards.

As I reached my destination I had to slow myself down to keep from colliding with someone else. I guess I didn’t know how fast I was swimming. I looked before me at the grand palace of Triton the King, and felt a small shiver go down my spine. King Triton was probably the scariest merman around these waters. I’d rather face down a shark than go toe to toe with him. But I couldn’t avoid me annual meeting with him. It was custom for every merperson in Atlantica to speak to King Triton and tell them about their progress in life.

For everyone else it was a chance to show off and brag, but for me it was just a form of torture. I was very different than my own kind. They liked to stay quiet and hidden, while I like to be loud and bold. I wanted to explore, it was my passion. But passion had a way of getting me into trouble.

“Araxie!”

I looked up as my name was called; a soldier looked up from his list and motioned me to come forward. When I got close I saw him smirk, I glared. “What?”

“Well let’s see I haven’t seen you here in fourteen days. That must be a record.” I rolled my eyes as I past him.

The palace was more familiar to me than any other merperson, who does not live here. This was just sad I had to admit. I was in the palace so often that they no longer gave me an escort. I swam until I reached the throne room.

Whenever I enter the throne room I have to stop and admire it. The throne room took the coral color and made it more beautiful than it already was. It looked like I had walked into a fairy tale place, and gave me comfort until the man sitting on the throne opened his mouth.

“Araxie” I heard a loud sigh.

“Yes your highness?” I looked up at King Triton and couldn’t help the small smile that came over my lips. King Triton was scary, there was no doubt about that, but my presence always seemed to make him look older. His hair was a beautiful silver color, long and flowing, his torso was still ripped and deadly looking, that anyone would take a few tail moves back, just to get out of range of his pecs. His tail was a beautiful gold color, with streaks of silver and bronze running through it. All royalty had similar colors in their tails.

“Why are you here now?”

“My interview” it was truly sad that whenever I come in here he always thinks it’s because of something I’ve done. But then again it usually is.

“Oh, I forgot” he let out another sigh and I chuckled. “Go on Araxie.”

“Well it’s been fourteen days since you’ve seen me.” I gave a helpful smile and he rolled his eyes.

“Yes and I’ve been dreading the moments till then.” He said in a playful tone.

Although King Triton scared me, and I aggravated him, he was always kind to me. I guess it was because he saw me so often that I kinda grew on him, whether he liked it or not.

“And I haven’t explored any caves, trenches or sunken ships in fourteen days either” I added helpfully, I was rewards with a small grunt.

“How are your studies going? Any idea of what you want to do in our kingdom?” I knew what I should say but the one thing I liked about myself was that I spoke my mind, and never lied about what I really wanted.

“My studies are fine your highness but I’m sorry to say that I haven’t found any interests inside Atlantica to continue my life with.” I avoided looking at him, but I still heard his frustration coming out with his sighs.

“Araxie we’ve talked about this, and you know the law.” His voice sounded like it was coming closer.

“Yes I know but I can’t help how I feel.”

“Araxie.” He was next to me now, and I looked up at him. His face was full of determination but kindness. “You’re a good girl even though you get into more trouble than any other person in Atlantica. I understand your want to explore but those laws are there for everyone’s safety.” He laid a hand on my shoulder, but I shrugged it off.

“No those laws are there because everyone is a coward!” I snapped and moved away from him.

“Are you calling me a coward?” I heard the harsh tone he was taking but I didn’t care at the moment.

“Yes! All of you are cowards! You are too scared to try and get to know humans, and set the record straight on our people!” I looked back over to see him glaring at me and I knew I was in trouble.

“Araxie Marlin Tripidead! How dare you speak to your king this way, and defend humans none the less! You have just spoken against your own people. Do you care nothing of the people who has raised you and you’ve grown up with?” He yelled at me, I flinched alittle but didn’t back down.

“I love my people! But I do not think we should live in fear of the unknown!” I threw back at him.
“Is this what you want for your people? For them to be afraid?”

For a moment he looked as if he was about to respond but he kept his mouth shut. It stayed silent for a few minutes, and then he moved and swam back up to his throne and sat in it. He grabbed his trident and closed his eyes. When he opened them again his eyes were cold and deadly. I felt myself move away from him.

“Araxie I am very disappointed in you. I have known you since you were little, and cared for you as one of my own daughters even though you have caused more trouble for this kingdom than anyone else. But now I fear that I can no longer feel sympathetic towards your needs. From now one when you break any laws you will suffer the consequences.”

I took a deep breath and turned away. But it seems he wasn’t done with me yet.

“Araxie you are a mermaid. Even if you wanted to explore the human world you would not be able too. It is impossible. You are going to have to deal with that.” My eyes weld up with tears as I realized just how true his words were. I quickly swam out of the palace, and slammed past the guards and Tifo.

I didn’t head home; there would be no sympathy there for me. Instead I headed towards the sea forest beyond Atlantica borders. I wanted to get lost in the forest, and never come out.