Sequel: All Your Life
Status: Completed.

Never Told You

Chapter 8

Marliegh

I tried to smile as I sat in a back booth at CinCin, surrounded by my excited family. They were chatting excitedly about various things, my grad, Niki’s summer plans, anything really – except the elephant in the room Milan and Brittany.

Family dinners just didn’t feel right without Rylan sitting beside me, and looking around a everyone smiling and laughing, I felt like I was the only one who noticed, or ever cared.

“Mariana?” my mom asked and I snapped back to the conversation at the sound of my real name.

I never liked the sound of it, so I eventually Canadianized my name when I started high school.

“Hm?” I asked and she sighed, smiling at me.

“Are you alright honey, you’ve been pretty quiet.”

“I’m just tired; it’s been a long day.” I shrugged and she smiled, nodding understandingly. But she doesn’t understand.

“So tell us about when you were in Boston, honey.” My dad prompted and I swallowed hard, glancing over at Milan.

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea-”

“Who were you staying with, Mar?” he asked and my stomach dropped.

“You mean what hotel?” mom asked and he shook his head.

“She put the trip on the card I gave her, I got a bill from the airline, a few restaurants and a few bars, but no hotel. So who was it?” he asked, knowing he was throwing me under the bus.

“Mariana Lenke Lucic.” My mother scolded, whether it was the bars comment or the fact I lied about my accommodations I’m not sure, but I sighed.

“One of your teammates…and his girlfriend, it’s no big deal.” I smirked shrugging, I was telling the truth.

“I think we’ve waited long enough.” Milan said, smiling down at Britney. She shook her head, frowning but he rolled his eyes and looked up at me, “Marliegh, I know this is your day, but who knows when all of us will be together again.”

My heart dropped and I glanced over at Brittany and she smiled apologetically at me. Oh fuck no.

“Brittany and I are getting married.” Milan smiled and Niki spit out his water, choking on it as we all looked at them surprised.

“Where the fuck did that come from?” I snapped and my mom glanced over at me disapprovingly. She’s not a fan of my swearing but I grew up surrounded by 3 brothers and their 3 hockey teams, I was bound to learn some choice vocabulary eventually.

“Milan and I are having a baby.” Brittany admitted in a small voice, at least having the decency to be ashamed.

“Oh my God!” My mom gushed, standing up and hugging Brittany.

My dad clapped Milan on the back and smiled and all I could do was gape at them like I was watching the scene unfolding in front of me on TV. This wasn’t happening. This isn’t really my life.

“Congratulations bro!” Jovan beamed hugging Milan and my heart sunk further in my chest.

“You’ve got to be kidding.” I glanced around at them all, not believing my eyes and they looked back at me confused, “You’ve got to be fucking kidding me!” I shouted, not caring who heard.

“Mariana!” my mother scolded and I stood up, shaking my head in disbelief.

“You’re giving me shit? Milan just told us he’s marrying some slut he cheated on Rylan with and was stupid enough to knock up and you’re giving me shit? Like some fucking step ford wife, like honestly do you not fucking realize what’s going on here?” I yelled and Milan stood up, instantly defensive as always.

“Marliegh, enough.”

“Fuck you, Milan!” I screamed at him, throwing my napkin at him, “You told me you’d rather jump off the Port Man Bridge than marry her you lying sack of shit! If you hurry, you can make it before rush hour ends. They won’t have time to save your sorry ass.”

“What?” Brittany asked, visibly hurt and Milan shook his head.

“Britt, she’s lying, I swear I’d never say that about you-”

“There you go again.” I shook my head and he looked over at me torn, “When did it become so easy for you to lie? The Milan I grew up believed in honesty. I admitted that about my Milan, but this…I don’t know who this is.” I shook my head, trying not cry.

“Mar-”

“You know what; I’m one to talk though. I’ve been keeping a little secret too. You know how I said I was staying with one of your teammates and his girlfriend in Boston?” I asked and his face fell, knowing he won’t like what I have to say, “In a way that was true, but I forgot to mention that I was his girlfriend.”

“Mariana!” my father scolded as my mother’s jaw dropped, Now she freaks out? Really?

“Who?” Milan breathed, looking like I’d just punched him in the gut.

“Why should I tell you? You didn’t tell me you were downgrading from my best friend to my whore of an ex-roommate.” I sneered, grabbing my purse and slinging it over my shoulder, “I can’t do this. I can’t pretend that everything is okay like everyone else. It’s not. It’s never going to be okay, not without Rylan here and we all know it. So you can pretend to be happy about this all you want but I’m done.”

I started to storm away but turned on my heel and yanked my sweater off my arm, holding it out so the red rose and west coast waves were visible to everyone at the table.

“Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I got a tattoo. It’s not the only one; it’s just the only one that’s in a restaurant appropriate place.” I spat as my father’s jaw dropped, “Since I seem to be the one in the wrong here, I might as well give you more reasons to be mad at me. Did I forget to mention I lied about where I work? I’m a bartender, I didn’t actually intern for the Canucks and I'm not sure I ever want to step foot in that arena because guess what, after all these years of studying my ass off for this Masters degree I can’t stand the thought of being a Sports Journalist! I’m sick of trying to live up to all your ridiculous expectations! This isn’t a family it’s an episode of Desperate Housewives and much like that show I’m done!”

I stormed out of the restaurant as most of the patrons watched in awe. More than one of them had a cell phone pointed at me so this no doubt would end up on the internet within the hour, but I just didn’t give a shit anymore. I was beyond done.

I pulled out my phone and blindly dialed the first number that came to mind, tapping my foot impatiently as it rang.

“Hello beautiful-”

“Brad, I need you.”

“Are you crying, Mar?” he asked and sniffled, noticing for the first time I was.

“I don’t know, I guess. I just really need you.” I whispered, keeping my head down so no one walking along Robson Street would see my tears.

“Where are you?” he asked urgently and wiped my eyes angrily.

“CinCin on Robson Street.” I choked out and heard rustling on the other end.

“I’ll be right there, Mar. I love you.”

I smiled, faintly, “I love you too.”

Milan

“Come on, shit head. We’re going out, end of.” Evander Kane smirked, standing in my kitchen, sipping a beer.

“I’m not so sure-”

“Milan! Go! I don’t mind.” Brittany assured me and I glanced over to see her smiling at me, “I was going to call a few of the girls and have a chick flick night anyway. Go have a boy’s night.”

“You sure?” I asked and she nodded, shoeing me with her hands.

“Today was a long day, you deserve the break.”

“Besides when was the last time you came out with the boys? You were always stuck up at home with R-” he stopped himself before he said her name and shook his head, “Enough is enough. Bros before hoes, remember?”

“Excuse me?” Brittany snapped and I chuckled to myself as his hands flew up palms out in defense.

“I’m not saying you’re a hoe, you’re lovely honey that’s just-”

“Fine, I’ll go.” I sighed, bailing him out of his sinking ship.

“Let’s get going.” He abandoned his nearly empty beer on the counter and all but ran for the front door, “See you later, Brittany!” he called over his shoulder and I chuckled, shaking my head. Idiot.

“I won’t be too long.” I promised as Brittany leaned up on her tip toes and kissed my cheek.

“Have fun.” She smiled as I followed after Evander and waved from the front door.

“Well that was…interesting.” He shook his head, chuckling as we headed over to the elevator.

“Could you be a bigger idiot?” I asked, shoving his shoulder and laughing as he rolled his eyes.

“Could you?” he asked seriously and I looked at him confused, “What the fuck are you doing man? Whatever happened between you and Rylan is not worth this.”

“Shut up. You don’t know what you’re talking about.” I spat and he sighed, shaking his head.

“You and Ry were perfect together, this,” I pointed back towards my apartment, “this is a voluntary life sentence at Folsom.”

“Do you still want to go out, Dr. Phil?” I asked and he shook his head.

“I’m just saying man.”

Marliegh

“You’re killing me, you know that?” Brad whispered, resting his hand on my bare back, tracing the vein of my peacock feather tattoo straight down it’s exposed length and making my breathe catch in my throat.

“You like?” I whispered back as he pulled his hand away.

“I love.” He breathed into my ear as his hand reappeared on my thigh, just under the short hem of my skirt. I was suddenly grateful Ry wanted to borrow my only pair of club worth shorts.

“Marshy.” I scolded, giggling and he smirked, leaning in and kissing me as he cheated his hand a little further up my thigh. I gasped, not expecting him to be so forward in such a public place, and he used that as an opportunity to slip his tongue in my mouth and deepen the kiss.

“Hey now! None of that!” Segs scolded, making us pull away as he walked back up to the table with Ry, drinks in hand.

“Sorry, couldn’t help myself.” Brad smirked as I blushed. He left his hand where it was as Ry slipped in across from us in the booth and Ty followed after.

“To Mar finally graduating University.” Ty teased, placing a shot in front of everyone at the table.

“At least I went to University.” I teased back, grabbing mine and clinking glasses with everyone before tossing it back.

I reached for my drink and took a sip, nearly choking on it when Brad gave the inside of my thigh a squeeze. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye and he was smirking into the neck of his beer bottle.

“Come dance with me, Ry!” Tyler begged as the DJ started spinning Gangnam Style but she shook her head.

“Not happening, Segs.” She refused, taking a sip of her drink instead, “I’m not drunk enough for that yet.” She added, teasing and he pouted, making me roll my eyes.

“Lucky for you, I am.” I smirked, downing the rest of my glass of Fireball like a shot and scooting out of the booth away from Brad’s roaming hands, “I don’t know the moves, but I’m sure I can pick it up.” I offered my hand to him and he smiled widely, grabbing it and quickly pulling me into the crowd.

Milan

“You’ve got to be shitting me.” Evander smirked, glancing out over the crowd and nudging me in the shoulder, “Why didn’t you tell me Marliegh got hotter?” he mused and I turned around quickly, scanning the crowd for my baby sister. I nearly went past her, but doubled back to Tyler Seguin holding her tight as they danced to beat of that weird Korean song.

“Dude, she’s my sister.” I reminded him and he shrugged.

“Sucks to be you.”

“Fuck off, Kane.” I warned him as he set down his beer, eyeing Mar up like a piece of meat in a butcher shop window. She wasn’t really helping, wearing a backless top that disappeared into one of those full skirts, to everyone else in the room she screamed fuck me and it made me feel sick thinking about how many probably wanted to.

“Remind me again why I broke up with that?” he asked, tilting his head to the side like he was deep in thought. He was probably just checking out her ass.

“You were drafted by a team on the other side of the continent.”
He shrugged it off, smirking as he grabbed his beer and chugged the rest, “I’ll be back.”

“Kane, she’s got a boyfriend.” Not that I know who he is.

“Details.” He smirked over at me, “I’ve got a girlfriend, remember?”

He walked off before I could say another word and I sighed.

Mar’s smarter than that…I hope.

I glanced back over at her as she threw her arms around Tyler’s neck, beaming while laughing and it hit me. She’s dating Segs!

That makes so much sense, he was at her grad this morning, I saw them together. He better not hurt her or I will kill him.

I glanced away, feeling creepy watching my little sister, only to spot Rylan laughing in a booth. She slid out and held her hand out to whoever was sitting across from her and a second later Marshy slid out, taking it as she lead him out onto the dance floor.

That little fucker.

I turned away, unable to watch as my anger boiled and I leaned on the bar.

“I’ll take another.” I snarled at the bartender and she grabbed a bottle from the fridge bellow, popping the top and placing it on the bar in front of me.

I downed half of it in one swig and frowned as my phone buzzed in my pocket.

Now what?

Marliegh

Tyler wasn’t really committed to doing the actual dance and just held me close to him as we moved to the beat as it slowly started building up.

Oppan Gangnam Style.” The singer sang when the beat finally crashed and Tyler pulled away doing some weird horse riding move, making me double over laughing.

Gangnam Style.

“What the hell are you doing!” I screeched, killing myself laughing.

“This is the dance, Mar.” he admitted, laughing despite himself as he changed moves.

Op op op op Oppan Gangnam Style.

“I’m not drunk enough for this, I’m sorry.” I laughed, shaking my head as I tried to back away, but he was quicker, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me back into him.

Gangnam Style.

“You’d do it if Marshy was.” He teased, whispering in my ear and I shook my head, throwing my arms around his neck in a hug.

“No! I might just dump him if I caught him doing that!” I laughed.

Op op op op Oppan Gangnam Style.

“In that case, what are you doing tomorrow night, it looks like you’re going to be single soon.” He nodded and I looked over my shoulder to see Brad and Ry doing the dance as they made their way through the crowd to us.

“Oh God!” I keeled over laughing again as Tyler let me go.

“Eh sexy lady!” Marshy sang along, wrapping his arms around my waist and I shook my head, laughing as I tried to squirm away.

Op op op op Oppan Gangnam Style!

“I need a drink!” I yelled over the music and Marshy pouted, nodding anyway as I slipped out of his arms and all but ran my way through the crowd to the bar.

I leaned against the bar, still laughing. The bartender looked over while helping another patron and I flashed him a smile letting him know I’d wait patiently.

There’s nothing worse than someone waving cash at you impatiently, I would know.

He smiled back, nodding to acknowledge me and I felt a chill run down my spine as a rough fingertip ran along my back.

“I’d recognize that tattoo anywhere.” A familiar, rich voice chuckled and I let out a shaky breath, trying to stay calm as he leaned against the bar beside me, “Long time no see, Mar.”

“Not long enough, Kane.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this has taken soooooooooo long! RaskCity40 is in school and I work full time so it was hard for us to find time to talk about what should happen. Not to mention we live on opposite sides of the continent so time change f'd us over too!

Hope you like it ;)

-just.add.ice