And Love Walked In

Rome Haynes

I was hoping to see Emerson today. Hoping he would walk through the cafe doors and sit with me to talk about anything. But he didn't show up, in fact he didn't show up in almost a week. I think it was a week, I don't really keep track of the days much anymore. But I did earn enough money to buy a new set of clothes. I even cleaned some of my old clothes and got a hair cut.

I started to keep my things in the cafe locked in a desk drawer in the back room. I told Mel about my situation and she offered me her guest room but I rejected so he allowed me to keep my things in her cafe to avoid getting anything stolen. Shockingly things have lightened up for me. It's almost like things are beginning to get better, everything except for Emerson.

"Can I talk to you Rome?" Mel ask as I begin to clean up the cafe for closing. I nod and put the dish rag away before following her to the back room. "I know your struggling and you won't accept my offer to stay in my apartment so I want you to have this." she says handing me an envelope.

I take it and open it pulling out a check of almost five hundred dollars. I look up to her before looking down at the check, "I can't take this." I mumble handing it back to her, but she doesn't take it back.

"I heard the robber took you money, five hundred worth, so i decided to pay you back." she says. "Also I'm going to give you a pay raise for the next few months." she adds flashing me a smile.

"Mel that's too much." I protest. "You shouldn't, I know your struggling just keeping this place alive and you've done enough just by hiring me."

"Shh Rome, nothing can change my mind now that it's made." she laughs. "Now close up and go to a hotel and get a good nights rest." she orders laughing again before walking out.

I smile and feel a warmness in the pit of my stomach. Mel has to be one of the few people to actually give a fuck about me. I wipe the tears that are threatening to escape from my eyes before stepping out the back room, check still in hand. Suddenly someone whimpers, I jump almost a foot in the air and press myself against the wall fear coursing through my veins. "R-Rome."

That's when I notice it's Emerson. I sigh and allow myself to calm down before walking around the counter to get to him. "Emerson what's wrong, it's late you should be at home." I tell him. He looks up to me and I see the problem now, his face is no longer a soft pale cream color but rather drenched in purple bruises. I feel my heart sink at the sight and reach up to brush my fingers through his hair feeling the blood between my fingertips.

"I told you I didn't want to go home." he whispers.

"You need to go to the hospital, this looks really bad." I say leading him to the door. He tries to follow me but he's limping and clutching to his side. "Fuck. Fuck Fuck Fuck." I mumble running my hands over my face. "Fuck." I curse again.

"Rome." Emerson whispers resting his hand on my arm gently. "Rome calm down."

"How could I calm down!" I scream. "When you go home you go home to an abusive family and I can't live with the thought of you getting hurt and I don't know why, I don't know why I'm so worried about you when I hardly know you."

Emerson wraps his arms around my torso holding me tightly as his head rest on my shoulder. I hold him closely feeling his body tremble along side mine, "I feel the same way Rome." he whispers. "I don't get it either. I hardly know you."

"It doesn't matter, I have you now. That's what matters."

&


Emerson and I walk along Pier 39, the winds blowing but we're both wearing jackets so it's not as cold. He's clutching onto me as a support to walk, he refuses to go to the hospital. People stare at him weirdly, even under the street lamps they could see his abused face. Then they glance to me thinking I did it to him.

"Are you feeling better?" I ask as we sit on a bench over looking the water. He's resting his head on my chest as I play with his hair, twisting the soft locks between my fingers.

"Everything hurts." he mumbles keeping his eyes on Alcatraz Island. I look down at him noticing how he winces whenever he shifts to get comfortable. I pains me to see him like this, this weak and hurt.

"Do you need some medicine, maybe advil?" I suggest.

He nods and we both stand up and head to a local drug store. I buy him some advil and water bottle before we settle on a bench outside of of Walgreen's. I watch as he swallows the pills before washing it down with water. When he's set he looks up to me and smiles, "Thank you Rome."

"No problem." I whisper wrapping my arm around him and bringing him closer considering he's shivering. "You should get home soon." I tell no matter how much it pains me. He looks up at me almost pleading me to not let him go back with his eyes. "I know you don't want to Emerson but it's your home." I tell as tears being to fall from his crystal blue eyes.

He finally nods before standing up and leading me back to his home. I follow next to him feeling the fear radiating off him. I reach for his hand holding it tightly as we near his home. We arrive to his window and I turn to him brushing my hands through his hair before kissing his forehead softly, "Take care, for me ok." I whisper my breath hitting his cold skin.

"Ok." he whispers letting his arms snake around my waist. We hold each other for a few minutes until we hear screaming from inside his house. Emerson jumps in my arms before looking up to me. Even through his bruises I could see his blush.

I watch as he climbs up the fire escape, with my help, before disappearing in his window. I smile softly, almost sadly before walking away to find a hotel to stay in.
♠ ♠ ♠
so yeah I changed the layout, and also i changed the picture for Rome just a warning.