Status: Enjoy!

A Necessary Evil

Secrets.

“Away.” His words were short and sharp. “But sir.” He grabbed the guy's neck and squeezed it until he fell limp to the ground. “Go now.” He never raised his voice but he didn't need to his voice has always been intimidating. The rest of the guys left. “Do you want anything?” I shook my head. “I'm fine.” He walked back to the open area. “Follow me.”

I sat on a cold wet rock as he turned away and started to work on something. “So your name is Bane?” He paused but then started working again. “Why didn't you come?” He stopped and set down a device. “I tried.” My fingers shook; not because I was scared but because it was cold. “I know you did and I never lost hope.” He picked up the device again and started working again. “When did you arrive in Gotham?” I kind of knew that answer I just needed something to talk about. “Not long ago.”

I stood up and walked towards him. Even now he was still towering over me even when he was sitting down like he was. “What are working on?” I said as I looked at his bare back. I could see the giant scar that ran across his spine. “A present for Gotham.” He was short but calm. “The accident?” I touched the middle of his back where the scar resided. He then snapped my hand from his back. “Don't.”

“Sorry.” He eased his touch then let go. “I'm not holding you hostage. You can leave anytime.” I go around and kneel in front of the stand where he is working on the device. “Bane. My friend, my family.” I touch his rough hand. “We're family. Family sticks together.” He looked at me. I couldn't see his mouth but in the past a lot of the times I wasn't able to. But his eyes never changed they said everything. Sadness reached across his eyes. “I think you should leave.” He pulled his hand back. I sighed. This person means so much to me. “Okay.” I got up. “I will come see you again, Bane.”

I left the sewer and climbed back up the manhole. It was already dark. “Shit!” I jogged to the car and got inside as I rubbed my hands together. I pull my bag into my lap and grab my phone. Two missed calls from John. I look at the time. 6:40. “Ah shit!” I grab my bag and coat and I decide to run to the apartment. I hastily tug off my clothes and take the quickest and coldest shower possible. I look at my alarm clock that resides on our night stand. 6:57. “I'm so going to be late.”

I quickly grabbed the blue dress with the slit on the left side of the leg from the closet. I put it on and look in the mirror. I've been wanting to wear this for John for awhile now and tonight was the perfect night. I grabbed a brush and started to brush my hair when the throbbing started. “Ow, ow, ow!” I dizzily walked over and sat on the bed.

“I'm sorry miss there isn't any kind of records of you for the past fifteen years.” I stood in the dusty courthouse in front of the main desk. “That's because I was away with my father for that amount of time in Greenland.” She nodded her head slowly then looked at her paper. “Is there anything I can do. All my paperwork is back in Greenland and there is now I can get it.” A guy came in from behind her. “I have been listening to your little problem and I can fix that. All we need it your birth certificate, and a letter from where you were in Greenland stating you were there for that amount of time.” I smiled, opened my bag and pulled out exactly that. “Well come this way Miss Stone.”

I sat there on the bed. Lying was the only way to get what I needed to accomplish back in Burma. I fumbled with the brush in my hands. The letter was typed by Agahi the guy whom my former mother married. I got up realizing my head wasn't hurting anymore. I brushed my hair as fast as I could. I pulled it over one shoulder then pulled on my black heals. I ran to the front door right as my phone started to ring. “Ah hello!?” I fumbled with my bag, keys and coat. “Is everything okay?” I wanted to tell him everything. Tell him about my day and about my friend who I haven't seen in such a long time.
“Yes I just almost lost my balance.” I opened the door and closed it in one swift move. “I was just wondering because you're usually never late not even by minutes.” I smiled as I walked down the stairs. He really does remember everything. “I know I just got caught up in some things today.” I exited out of the building and tried to run to the car. “You'll have to tell me about it when you get here.” I tried to breathe through my nose so he wouldn't know that I was running. “As long as you tell me about your day?” He chuckled. “Only if you hurry.”

“See you in five.” I hung up the phone as I hiked my dress up and booked it. I never ran in heels and now I knew why. I reached my car and hopped in. I had five minutes to get downtown. Even though that wasn't going to happen, I was stuck in a car that hated cold days and downtown was at least 15 minutes away including traffic. I sped as fast as I could through traffic. I felt like my heart was in my mouth. The slow anticipation was building. John and I never really got to spend nights together because of both of our jobs.

I arrived at the restaurant and hastily walked inside. “My boyfriend is already seated his name is John Blake.” I breathed through my nose. He nodded and showed me the way. We were in the big ballroom like dinning room with our table sitting right in the middle. “I thought you said five minutes?” John laughed as he stood up and gave me a kiss and helped in my chair. “I did just traffic was busy.” He sat down across from me. “That dress looks amazing on you.” I blush. “I bought it just for this occasion.” He raised his eyebrow as we watched a guy in a tux come by and pour us some whine.

The night went well. I ordered chicken but ended up getting something that tasted like lobster and John managed to almost make me spit out the whine three different times because of his lame but rather cute jokes. “So work?” I finally added after his jokes died down. “It's work.” He drank some whine. “I heard over the radio that the congressman is missing.” He nodded. “Yeah we have no leads yet.” I took another bite of my lobster chicken. “I'm sure something will pop up.”

“What about you? You said your day was productive.” I did didn't I? “Yeah it was.” I really wanted to tell him about everything, about Bane and about the sewers. “So?” He took a bite of his steak. So I lied. “It was only productive as in I climbed through a vent today in the courthouse, I finally came face to face with the Joker and tried for round two on talking to the mayor but failed again.” I just wanted to chug down my drink because of my dry mouth. “You climbed through a vent?” I nodded. “Yeah it was pretty crazy. You should have seen it.” I laughed then went back to my food.

John set down his knife and fork then stood up and walked over to me. “Can I have your hand?” I nodded, wiped my mouth with the napkin and gave my left hand to him. “Yeah sure, why?” He smirked. He got down on one knee. I have admit at first it didn't register what he was about to do until I looked around the room to see others gasping. “Emlyn Stone I met you three years ago. I remember it well because you were wearing jeans shorts and a tank top in the dead of winter.” We laughed in unison. “I can't see myself with anyone else.” He paused then opened the small little blue box. “Will you marry me?” All the women gasp.

“No.” He was stunned more like the entire room was stunned until a smile spread across my face. “I'm kidding I just wanted to see how it felt to say no.” John got up and shook his head as he pulled me into a kiss. “I love you.” He backed away putting the small but ever so beautiful diamond on my ring finger. “And I love you.” I kind of wanted this moment to last. No cares in the world just me and him.

We went to go sit back down when his work phone went off in his police jacket. “I thought you were off duty?” He looked to me then the coat. “I am.” He pulled the phone out of the pocket and answered it. “This is Officer Blake.” I waited trying to listen in to the guy on the other end. “Are you sure you need me?” He nodded a couple of times then grabbed his coat from the back of his chair. “Okay then I'll be right there.” He flipped his phone shut. “They might have a lead on where the congressman is.” I stood up. “You can't go to work like that?” He was wearing a suit, something a rookie cop shouldn't wear. “Yeah I know I have my police uniform in the back of my car.”

“Okay then see you later.” He kissed me on the cheek. “Are you sure you'll be alright?” I nodded and gave a quick smile. “Ok I'll pay for our bill up at the front leave whenever you want. Love you babe.” I smiled then sat down after he left. I finished my glass of whine and left. On the car ride home I turned up the music but ended up listening to news. “After days of missing; the congressman has been found in the back water streets of Gotham where a shooting just went down.” I smiled at the thought of John being there and helping but also worried for his health. A shooting. Yeah I hope he's okay.

I parked in the apartment parking lot and walked upstairs. I was so tired and worn out. So much has happened today and I still haven't really had time to process everything. I unlocked the door to the apartment and went in. The lights were off. “I thought I left the bedroom light on?” I peeked around the corner to find blackness. My stomach tightened. I didn't spend fifteen years in the pit of hell just to come out of here and deal crap. I slowly and quietly took my heals off and placed then by the door. I took my hairband that hung around my wrist and pulled my hair back into a bun. I heard something from the living room area.

I really wish Bane was here.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm loving you guys! I'm going to keep updating everyday! It will start getting real interesting!

Keep subscribing and commenting and I'll keep updating!