Status: Complete

It's Either War or Peace

23. Look In the Eye of the Test

Katie Vereeka's Point of View

“ALICE!” Demi screamed as I carried Alice in.

It was nighttime in Chicago. The only reason why it took me so long to get home was because I had to figure out how to tell the Chicago Coven what happened. Figuring nothing out, I came home. Let’s go with the flow, shall we?

“What in the world happened?” Rip asked, startled.

“The demigods are here,” I said.

Everyone’s eyes widened, even Taylor’s and Jackson’s. Surprisingly.

“But… but… when did they arrive?” Renee asked.

“Earlier today. A demigod named Lee chopped Alice’s head off,” I explained.

I set Alice down on the couch, her head just above the body. After a few seconds, Alice’s hands grabbed her head and attached it back where it belonged. Since it wasn’t exactly staying, Alice spit some venom onto her hands and rubbed it around her neck. This time her head stayed in place. She sat up.

“Much better,” Alice said with a smile.

Everyone but Jackson and Taylor gathered around her.

“Alice, what were you thinking?” I exclaimed. “You could’ve died!”

“I know but she was being a little bitch! I just… snapped,” Alice said.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” Rip said, holding his hands up. “Start from the beginning please.”

“Well, the demigods came along with a satyr,” Alice started, “and I tried attacking the Zoey girl-”

Zoey Cornell?” Demi exclaimed. “She’s here too?!”

“No shit,” I said. “I said demigods. Plural. Plural. Get it right.”

Demi shot a glare at me.

“Anyway,” Alice said, “I tried attacking Zoey since she was really pissing me off. I knew what my fate is with her but I just snapped for some reason. As I was attacking, her friend chopped my head off.”

“Thank god you’re safe!” Renee exclaimed. She hugged Alice and Alice hugged her back.

“We need to go back,” I said.

Now?” Rip asked. “But you just got home!”

I looked into the future. Mollee was planning on coming here once everyone woke up. Nico’s hellhound and Grover could smell me. Ah, Nico was with them now. There’s the seventh person.

“Katie, what do you see?” Joe asked.

“If Alice and I aren’t back by the time those things are awake, they’ll come here,” I said. “Their hellhound and satyr can smell us.”

Alice’s face turned into a look of horror.

“Will they attack here or lead us somewhere else?” Rip asked.

“They’ll attack here,” I said.

“We’ll go in Alice’s place,” Renee said. She sat next to her and had an arm wrapped around her shoulders.

“But-” Alice started.

“No,” Jackson suddenly said. He sat up from his chair. “Alice comes too.”

“Jackson, we are not getting Alice killed!” Renee exclaimed. “I swear, if this had anything to do with your jealousy from earlier-”

“Renee, calm down,” Rip said.

Jackson didn’t say anything. Out loud at least. In his mind he said, I’ll gladly get Alice killed. Jeez. Wanting her dead for something stupid? What a psycho.

“Jack-” I started.

He interrupted me. “We’re bringing Alice. I’ll keep her safe.”

I wanted to protest but Alice’s expressionless look caught everyone’s attention. Her eyes were wide and blank. I knew that look all too well. From what I’ve seen in everybody’s minds, I looked like that too when I was seeing a vision of the future. This time, I didn’t have to look in the future since I saw everything in Alice’s mind.

“No!” she exclaimed. Everyone looked at her. “Jackson is staying nowhere near me!”

In Alice’s vision, Jackson was making a fire while putting body parts into it. Her body parts. The vision came to me shortly after, more detailed. The six demigods tore her to pieces after Zoey chopped off Alice’s head. Jackson put the pieces in the fire. He helped the demigods kill her.

I have to change this vision from coming true.

“I’m with Alice,” I said and sat next to her.

“I’m sorry Alice but I have to trust Jackson. He helped protect people during the Civil War and he saved Taylor from countless of things,” Rip said.

But helping people during the Civil War was his job. And he actually likes Taylor. Loves her, I thought. Alice was thinking of the same thing.

Shortly after Rip explained through mind why he was letting Jackson do this. It was a test. A test to see if he could trust Jackson. If Jackson actually did keep Alice safe, then Rip will keep his trust. If Jackson didn’t keep Alice safe, all trust will be lost.

“You’ll be safe,” Renee told Alice. “I promise. I’ll even stay by your side.” Renee was testing Jackson too. Same reasons as Rip.

We all got up and headed for the door. Alice’s mind was racing a million miles an hour and Jackson’s was just plain evil. Everyone was scared for Alice. Everyone except Taylor and Jackson. Typical.

It was the middle of the night as we walked through the forest. That dreadful demigod scent was starting to fill our nose. The Chicago Coven all gagged. Surprisingly, Alice and I didn’t. We must’ve gotten used to it. We followed where the scent led to and soon enough we found four demigods and a hellhound sleeping.

“Who are they?” Rip asked.

“Nico de Angelo, Lee Fletcher, Mollee Chaine, and Zoey Cornell. Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, Grover, and their pegasi are still in the meadow,” I said. “Grab one of them – careful Joe! – and – Jackson, you too! – and bring them to the meadow.”

Jackson held Nico, Rip held Lee, Joe held Mollee, and Renee held Zoey. Demi got the hellhound to wake up. Before it began to bark at Jackson, she got it to quiet down and follow us. Reading the Percy Jackson books did her some good.

We all walked over to the meadow silently so we wouldn’t wake the demigods up. Thank God we vampires can walk gracefully. They all would’ve woken up already, especially with the way Jackson was moving. I sighed. He was probably trying to wake them up on purpose.

Finally, we made it to the meadow. I pointed out who was who. The pegasi were no longer there. Must’ve flown away. Renee, Joe, and Rip set the demigods down slightly. Jackson, on the other hand, threw Nico to the ground. We all glared at him.

“Ow!” Nico yelled once he landed. The others woke up too.

“What’s the big idea?” Percy asked, rubbing the sleep off of his eyes.

I ignored the question. It was time to play Wonder Woman and try to change Alice’s future. “We will leave peacefully and with no fight if you agree with us on one thing.”

“Which is…?” Mollee asked. She stood up along with the other demigods and the satyr.

“You leave Alice alone,” I said.

Percy’s eyes widened. “I know why you’re saying this. You’re the one she bit aren’t you? I should’ve guessed. You look rather young to be a vampire. What are you, eleven? Twelve at the most.”

I glared at him. “I’m thirteen thank you very much.” Did I really look that young?

“Well, she does have the body of a thirteen year old. Although, her boobs are big enough to belong with someone older,” Lee said.

My eyes widened along with the rest of the vampires’. I covered my chest with my arms. I’m not that big. I’m only a – never mind. That’s pretty big for my height.

Mollee, Zoey, and Annabeth all smacked Lee.

“I may hate her because of her vampireness,” Mollee said.

“But you don’t talk about a girl’s boobs in front of her,” Annabeth said.

“No matter how much you hate her,” Zoey added.

“It’s rude and it’s her privacy,” Mollee said, crossing her arms and giving a disapproving look to Lee.

Oh, would you look at that. They care about my privacy. I put my arms down.

“Anyway, when you decide to stop putting your eyes where they don’t need to be, I would like to know your answer,” I said. Lee’s eyes went on my chest again. I put my hand on his chin and forced him to stare into my red eyes. “My eyes are up here perv.”

Mollee shook her head. “Our talk taught him nothing.”

“So which is it?” I asked.

“Ask the question again. I wasn’t paying attention,” Lee said.

I rolled my eyes. “It wasn’t exactly a question. I said we’ll leave peacefully without a fight if you leave Alice alone.”

“Psh, hell no,” Annabeth and Percy said in unison.

“Then we won’t leave,” I said.

“She needs to die,” Grover said. “She turned you immortal when you were too young. We can’t have young, immortal vampires roaming around.”

I opened my mouth to explain why Alice bit me but I closed it seconds later. They wouldn’t understand. I noticed Zoey was the only one not saying a lot. Better than perverted comments though. For some reason, I felt the need to show her what I was thinking. So I did. I put my hand on her cheek. All of the demigods reacted violently but Rip and Joe pushed them back. The memory I was giving Zoey was of the days of me turning into a vampire. Everyone on the demigod side had their swords out. The vampires made sure they wouldn’t interrupt me.

When the memory was done, Zoey said, “She should’ve left you alone to die.”

I mentally facepalmed. She missed the whole friendship point between Alice and me. “But she didn’t want to,” I said. “Unlike you demigods.”

When I said that, it caught that Lee dude off-guard. He lunged at me but before his sword touched me I gave him the emotion of pain. He crouched down to the ground screaming as everyone stared at him. It was Percy’s turn to try to attack me. I pushed him as hard as I could and he went flying. None of the demigods and Grover heard him land but we vampires did thanks to our uber keen sense of hearing. Percy landed over two hundred feet away.
Lee was still screaming in pain when Annabeth and Zoey said, “Get away.”

“I told you we would leave if you agreed not to hurt Alice,” I said.

“No! Now scram!” Zoey yelled.

Alice chirped up. “No can do.”

The demigods and Grover looked at her. Their eyes slowly went to Nico.

“Alice…” Mollee started, “explain why you’re not dead.”

Alice smiled and didn’t say anything. I then let Lee free of the pain. He kept screaming, not realizing it stopped. After about a minute though, he calmed down and stood up.

“That hurt!” Lee yelled.

“Well it should’ve because that’s what I was going for,” I said. I stuck out my hand, knowing he took my wallet. “Wallet please.”

“How did you-” he started but his amazement cut him off. His mouth dropped as he looked at Zoey.

“Told you,” she said.

Lee took out my wallet and gave it back to me. I smirked as I put it in my jean pocket. Thank God I can read minds.

“Now that that’s over, are you sure you’re not going to let Alice live?” I asked.

The demigod side, minus Percy since he never came back, all nodded.

“Typical,” Taylor muttered, low enough so they wouldn’t hear her.

“We can’t let you live either,” Zoey said. “You’re too young to be immortal.”

Alice came by my side. I heard someone mutter the word short. I was almost positive it was either Lee or Grover.

“You can kill me, if you figure out how, but you need to let Katie live,” Alice said.

“Katie’s too young,” Grover said.

“But you told me in the letter you gave me that you were going to give her a chance,” Alice said.

“We changed our minds,” Zoey said. She probably didn’t even know what letter Alice was talking about.

“If you let me live, we won’t interfere with your lives,” I said.

“No can do.” Zoey’s voice was slightly higher as if she was mimicking Alice.

I sighed. I had a feeling it would come to this. That meant I had to fight for Alice’s life. And mine now apparently. Ugh. Life is rough isn’t it?

“Demigods and satyr, it’s either war or peace,” I said. “Your choice.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Title Credits: "End of the Beginning" by Thirty Seconds to Mars