Status: Complete

It's Either War or Peace

24. I'm At War With the World

Katie Vereeka's Point of View

“War,” everyone on the demigod side announced.

I glared at them. Alright. If it was a war they wanted, then it was a war they would get.

“Then war it is,” Jackson said.

“We’ll give you five minutes to think of a plan,” Grover said.

The demigod side formed a circle. They whispered their plan. Luckily for us vampires, we heard everything. We gathered in a circle also.

“Listen to their plans closely,” I whispered. We stayed quiet. The demigods were mostly going on about chopping us up and figuring out how to keep us dead. Jeez. I thought they would’ve figured it out by now, especially Zoey since she saw the Twilight movies. She must've been a very forgetful person. “Alright, who’s fighting who?”

“I get Grover,” Joe said.

“Annabeth. I never liked her while reading the books for some reason,” Demi said.

I raised an eyebrow at her. Really? That’s why she’s going after her? Jeez. Knowing the books actually happened must’ve changed Demi’s view on them all.

“I’ll fight Mollee,” Taylor said. “She seems like a bitch. And a traitor.”

Even Taylor agreed with me.

“I’ll tackle both Lee and Nico,” Rip said.

“Are you sure you can handle it?” I asked. “Don’t forget about that monster Nico has.”

Rip nodded in response.

“Jackson, Alice, and I will go find Percy,” Renee said.

“Alright then. I guess I get Zoey,” I whispered. Good. Now I can really make sure Alice’s vision doesn’t come true.

Jackson, Alice, and Renee ran off to the direction Percy was thrown. They were clear to the rest of the Chicago Coven and I but not to the demigods and Grover. They looked at them in awe. Even the hellhound did.

I turned to everyone else. “Ready?”

They nodded.

“Be careful,” I warned. “You saw what Lee’s sword did to Alice.”

We faced the demigod side. After one more minute they were done planning. Zoey and I stared at each other coldly. She couldn’t wait to attack me. Her sword was in her hand.

“Only kill when necessary,” I whispered.

Only the Chicago Coven heard me. They all nodded.

“We’re ready,” Zoey said.

Everyone went into battle position. Swords shined in the moonlight that was fading. Our skin was going to start sparkling soon probably.

“Fight!” Grover screamed.

Everyone moved at once. I heard bodies crashing together and the demigods screaming. The hellhound yelped. Swords clanked against something every now and then. I felt like I was in a war against the world. Zoey had her sword pointed straight towards me. I dodged under it and grabbed her legs. Screaming, she fell. Lee looked over at us but Rip caught his attention shortly after. Zoey was kicking her legs in my grasp but I hugged them tighter, still making sure not to break them.

“Let go!” she yelled.

I smirked and shook my head.

Zoey swiped her sword at me. I dodged it but I felt the air near my head being swiped at. So close. Zoey finally gathered all the strength to free her legs. She pushed me and I fell back. Next thing I knew, a sword was coming at my face. Instead of ducking down, I grabbed the sword and pulled away from Zoey. I set it on the ground next to me. Before Zoey got to grab it, I kicked her legs from under her. She landed flat on her back. Her eyes closed tightly from the pain.

I stood up. As I was about to bend down to pin Zoey, Annabeth left Demi and came at me. Her sword was raised above her head. I gaped at it. I couldn’t take it away from her. There was no way I could reach that!

I waited until Annabeth threw it down at me. It would’ve scratched my stomach if I hadn’t moved back. I grabbed the end of the sword before Annabeth could raise it up again. She tried to pull it out of my hands but the sword didn’t budge. According to her mind, she felt like that boy who had to pull the sword out of the mound of rock. Although unfortunately for her the boy was able to do it. Fortunately for me, my skin was granite-like and hard enough for the sword not to hurt my hands. One point for Katie Vereeka the vampire.

Shadows started to form in the grass. That told me the sun was beginning to rise. A quick vision told me it was going to be a sunny day in Chicago. Hopefully the demigods and Grover would get blinded by me and the Chicago Coven’s sparkling skin. That would mean another point for me.

I smiled slyly at Annabeth. “Want this back?”

Annabeth stared at me, her gray eyes wide. Was I already starting to sparkle?

Demi ran over. “Don’t worry Katie. I got her.”

Demi pried Annabeth’s hands away from her sword and threw her over her shoulder. As Annabeth kicked and screamed, I gave Demi her sword.

I turned back to Zoey as Demi ran off with Annabeth and the sword. Zoey was still lying on the ground with her eyes closed. She had a headache and it was making her groan like crazy. Without it subsiding, she opened her eyes. As soon as she saw me, she reached for her sword. I kicked it away.

“Hey!” Zoey yelled. She was winded. Her yelling threw a throb at her head.

I smirked.

Zoey sighed and looked at me with sorry eyes. My smirk softened. Wait, was she saying that she didn’t want this war to keep going? Was she saying she wants peace? Was it just me or was this move showing she was giving up on the gods because of a simple headache?

“You and I will have peace if you stop trying to fight,” I said.

“But you’re fighting too!” Zoey exclaimed. She winced shortly after.

“I’m only fighting back for self-defense,” I said.

Zoey was silent for a while. Bodies clashing and swords flying and grunts were the only sounds I heard. Kinda like in war movies.

“So are you going to stop fighting?” I asked.

“How do I know you’re not lying about keeping the peace?” Zoey asked.

“Cross my heart, hope to die,” I promised.

Zoey sighed. “Fine.”

While she was trying to stand up, I threw her onto my back. Then I grabbed onto her sword and held it by my side. I still didn’t trust her with it.

“I’ll hold onto this for now,” I said.

Zoey didn’t argue but she cursed every word in the book in her head. I chuckled and ran off, following Alice, Jackson, and Renee’s trail. The scene was a blur to Zoey’s eyes.

“Close your eyes so you don’t get dizzy,” I said.

Zoey did so and asked, “Where are we going?”

“We’re going to find Alice, Jackson, Renee, and Percy,” I told her.

After two minutes of running through the forest, I came across another meadow I never knew about until now. It was a lot tinier than the other one. I saw Percy and Jackson right away. I gasped. Where the hell were Alice and Renee? I stared at Percy and Jackson. Percy lied in the ground while Jackson built a fire. Does the dude not realize he could cause a forest fire? Then we would all be in trouble.

Suddenly I heard tiny gasps. I looked over to my left. My eyes widened. Alice was lying on the ground with a sword stabbed through her stomach. Percy’s, no doubt. But I don’t think Percy stabbed it into her. He was too weak. Alice was breathing heavily (even though vampires don’t need to breathe… Maybe she’s doing it to add more effect?). So that was why Jackson was making a fire. This was similar to the vision Alice and I saw. Ugh, where the hell was Renee?

Zoey climbed off of my back and I noticed something funny in her sea-green eyes. They looked worried. Weirdly enough, her worried eyes weren’t on her brother Percy. No surprisingly, they weren’t on Jackson. But very, very surprisingly, they were on Alice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Titled Credits: "Awake and Alive" by Skillet