Status: In the process of being written =) Stick with me for a great story that may hit some of you a litle closer to home <3

Only Up From Here

Kali Jo Wasn't His

The following week was a fast one; people continued to come and bring us food, gifts, and condolences. Brock never left my side, at least not long enough to worry. He helped out on the farm and we had transferred our courses to online with the help of some college professors who were supportive of what we were going through. That was probably the best news I had gotten in weeks, I would still graduate on time.

As Brock was busy helping John all the time I worked in the house and on the books and marketing ends of things. It was weird knowing this is what I was going to do, I may not have my degree yet but this was my dream. I was learning a lot and I was learning fast, just how I liked it. John was moving a little slower lately but he had been under a lot of pressure and stress so I could understand.

“Hey sweetheart, what we got for dinner today?” I had been sitting at the kitchen table with the books spread out in front of me as John walked in.

“I have a meatloaf in the oven that Mrs. Patty brought over the other day.” He nodded but did not say anymore, “Is that OK?” I looked at him with concerned eyes.

“Oh yes my dear that sounds fine.” He gave a small smile as he grabbed water out of the fridge.

“OK, well how are you today?” I closed my book and focused on him.

“I am fine love. No need to worry. How are you?”

“I am fine as well. Just trying to figure out how mom managed her books, may need to change them around a little bit to meet my comfort level but I’ll manage to figure it out.”

“Well I am sure you will.”

“Where is Brock?” I figured if he didn’t want to talk about him we wouldn’t.

John’s body tensed and he turned to look at me, I knew that would get his attention. “He’s out and about getting the horses ready for the kids to come this afternoon.” He seemed to be on edge whenever Brock and I were together I couldn't figure out why.

“How has he been doing out there?”

Again John tensed, “Fine.”

“Well, do you think I need to higher another hand or do you two have it under control?”

“I don’t know. Why are you so concerned about all this?”

I was a little shocked as to why he even had to ask, “Because this is my job now. I am taking over what mom did and now I need to know if you need more help.”

“Well, damn it, I can do it on my own. I don’t need some young buck coming in and thinking they know what they are doing or how things are run around here.”

“OK fine.” I stood and walked to the door, “Sorry for caring about you.” I walked out the door and slammed the door.

I didn’t know what bit him in the ass but I sure as hell was not going to let him take it out on me. I walked to the barn to see Brock coming back with our youngest horse, Rayin.

“How are you today lovely?”

I rolled my eyes at his pet name for me, “Ugh, fine I guess.”

He hopped down, “What happened?”

“Nothing.”

“You can’t lie to me Kali Jo, you know I am going to find out whether you tell me or not.”

I looked at him and I knew that he was right, “John just has a bug up his ass and he took it out on me.”

He came and wrapped me in a hug kissing me on the head, constant gesture now, as he spoke. “He is trying to cope with out your dad here. I think the last week has played a toll on him because he really does not like me here.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Well, because he told me.”

“What do you mean he told you?” He let me go and looked at the ground, “Brock what do you mean?

“He told me that I am a good for nothing horse hand who should go back to where I came from with the girlfriend I left and the money.”

“The money?”

“He was talking about my dad.” I paused waiting for him to say more when he didn’t I pushed.

“What about your dad?” He started taking the saddle off Rayin. “Brock.” My voice was strained.

“My dad is the mayor down here and John has an issue with him for some reason."

“Your dad?” He shook his head, “Is the Mayor? Like of the county here? Like Mayor Hartley is your DAD?!”

He turned to me surprised by my tone I think. “Yes?”

Brock’s POV

I couldn’t figure out why John had freaked when I told him who my father was but now I was getting the same reaction from Kali.

“And you are just deciding to tell me this now?” She looked angry.

“Well with everything going on I didn’t think it would really matter.”

“Well it DOES matter!” Her face was red and her brows were furrowed.

“Why?”

She started to walk to the stable door but I knew I had to figure out what the hell was going on. “Kali.” I grabbed her arm. “What the hell?”

“Look we just don’t like your dad OK? He pulled so pretty nasty shit to get elected over my dad, including cheating. I can be positive he is not going to be happy when he finds out that you are here.” With that she twisted out of my grip and walked towards that woods.

I stared after her not believing what I had just heard. I had to figure out what was really going on. I walked to my room and grabbed my phone. I scrolled down to my dad’s name and pressed send. I was not even sure he would answer, I had not talked to him in months.

“Mayor Hartley.” And here we go.

“Hey um-“ I paused, what to say? “It’s me.”

“Well hello it’s me. What can I do for you?” Was he being serious?

“Dad it’s me, Brock?”

“Oh- well- um, what can I do for you?” He sounded surprised apparently he didn't use caller ID.

“I need to talk to you about Brady Lewis.” I heard his breath catch.

“What do you need to know about that Brock?”

“Well considering I am living with his daughter at their house I think I deserve to know what you did to sabotage his run for office.”

‘You have no right to make those allegations to me.”

“I have it under good word that you did something to make sure you won, I want to know what that is.”

“Fine, hold on.” I heard a door close in the background. “Just so you know when this conversation is over with you are not to call me, show up to the house, or contact me until you are out of that house.”

“Fine. That will not be anytime in the future, before you start I should let you know things have ended with Kelly and I and we are not getting married. There is nothing going on with Kali either, we are just friends. I am here as help because her parents were in a car accident and passed away.”

“I don’t care about any of that. I am the Mayor for cris-sake! I know all of this so lets just cut to the chase so I can get back to work.”

“Fine dad.” I rolled my eyes and waited.

“I just started some rumors about his that’s all.” He stopped talking and I waited, and waited, and nothing.

“And?”

“And that’s it.”

“What were these rumors?”

“You know the usual, his wife cheated, the kids not theirs, he helped put his son in that accident, and you know that stuff.”

“You told the world that Rebecca cheated, that Kali Jo wasn’t his, and that he killed his son David?” I paused yet again just waiting, “Is that everything?” The sarcasm dripped from my mouth.

“Yep, that is everything.” He didn’t even sound upset and there was no remorse in his voice at all.

“Then if that is the case we don’t need to worry about talking again. No real father would ever do that to someone even if it was pure hatred.” I hung up the phone before I heard an answer.

I had to go find Kali.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kali Jo

Here is the next part everyone! There is lots happening! Hope you enjoy! Also I went back and added a picture of John if you want a visual, it is in the first couple chapters I think. Anywho. . . Should get to bed so I can get up or my early class in the morning. ENJOY

<3