Broken Strings and Broken Dreams

All around me are fimiliar faces, worn out places, worn out faces

There's only one person I can remember that was always there for me.

His name was Seth and he was my best friend. We were in the 3rd grade and I was the new girl but he was the only one that walked up to me at recess.

It was times like these that I wished he could still help me, be here for me. Alex slipped into my mind automatically and took a breath and covered my face with my hands before falling back on my bed.

A picture of my mother, my father, my brother, and I sat on my dresser. Staring at me from across the room. I used to stare at that picture, to see my mom after she died. I'd compare our looks because I hoped that I looked like her. I did, it was obvious.

I had her brown wavy hair. I had her small button nose. I had her big hazel eyes. We were the same height, judging from the old markings on the bathroom door jam from her measuring all of us.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and looked to see that it was almost 6 at night. When did it get so late?

I pressed the green button twice knowing he was my last call and waited for him to answer. "Hello?" He answered and I sighed in relief.

"Can you come here, please? I...I need you." I could still hear her downstairs. I could hear them talking.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked hurriedly and nodded forgetting he couldn't see me.

I pressed the phone closer to my ear. "Just please, Alex. I'm falling apart." I cried into the phone. I heard him stand up and say a few things, probably to Jack and Rian.

"I'm on my way Madi, don't worry. Be there in 5 minutes." He informed me and hung up as I heard his engine rev. I put my phone down and whipped my eyes clean.

I needed something loud. I turned to the stereo that sat perched on top of my computer desk. I pulled a worn CD case from my shelf of CD's.

As soon as the CD was processed, I had turned the dial to max volume. Third Eye Blind filled the room and I felt my body relax for a second at the sound of the familiar voice.

I saw my phone light up from my bed and I saw Alex had sent me a message saying he was outside. I swallowed and opened my door, darting down the stairs and carefully to the front door. As soon as it had opened a little bit I was pulling Alex inside and we.were back up in my loud room.

The second my door shut I was crying in Alex's chest and he was holding me. "What's wrong, baby?" He asked when he bent to turn the music down till it was a hum in the background.

My rage unleashed. I felt my face turn red and I clenched my fists. "My fucking dad thought it would be great to abandon his daughter to see some bimbo."

His eyebrows shot up. "What?" He asked and I grunted.

"My dads seeing some lady! She's downstairs! He actually brought her here. I can't believe it!" I ranted, throwing my arms every which way. "I don't see him for weeks, days at a time and he was probably with her the whole time, taking care of her." I spat the last few words.

Alex grabbed my shoulders to attempt to calm me down. "Ma-," he tried my I cut him off.

"I mean, fuck your daughter who might need a few things. Fuck getting any Christmas presents. Oh hey, let's let Madi find out I couldn't pay the power bill by the power shutting off in the middle of a storm. Who fucking cares, right? How could he do that? How could he bring her here." I cried as I fell against Alex.

He held me close, occasionally kissing me on top of the head. "Come on, baby. It's just a woman. Your dads probably lonely. It has been awhile, hasn't it?"

My face screwed up. "Well, kinda." He whispered as he sat on my bed, pulling me into his lap.

"He's getting old, he's lonely, just give him a chance to explain. Meet her. You might actually like her." He soothed and shrugged.

"It's just that...I'm so mad at him. I always thought he was working while he was gone. I always figured he was stuck on mom, so he worked himself to the bone, but now...Alex, when I lost my mom and my brother he wasn't there. I didn't have a best friend, I didn't have other family, it was just me and I needed him so bad but he's never been there. But he can be there for her, for that woman.

Alex kissed my forehead. "Your dads an idiot for that but he deserves a chance to be happy and he's going to want you to be happy for him."

I nodded in understanding. "It just sucks. I don't want him being happy with anyone but my mom." I muttered and Alex smiled sadly.

"He'll always love your mom Madi, always. But sometimes you have to move on because you can't spend your whole life mourning something that won't come back. " His words touched me.

I sat up, whipping at my eyes again, before I sniffled again. The music was still playing in the background.

"I guess I understand." I said, moving some hair behind my ear.

"Good. Now what do you say about going down there?" He asked and I shrunk back. "Oh come on! We just had this big old talk and you're backing out? I'll come with you, okay?"

I thought about it for a second before I finally nodded and stood up. He followed suit and opened my bedroom door for me, following me down the stairs.

I heard them talking in the kitchen and I peaked to see them sitting at the table, my dad with his head in his hands and the lady next to him rubbing his back.

Taking a deep breath, I squared my shoulders, looking at Alex with a smile as he returned one reassuringly.

I stepped from around the corner then, atanding there in the open for a couple seconds before I cleared my throat softly, their heads shooting up.

"Hello, I'm Madilynn." My voice was small and I probably matched the look too.

But my dad stood up and grinned instead and the lady stood up also, smiling sweetly at me and then up at him. I walked forward a little bit more as I made myself aware that Alex was right next to me.

"Hello ma'am and Mr. Grey, I'm Alex Gaskarth, Madi's boyfriend." He breathed out and I looked at my dad to see him give a small smile.

"Nice to meet you Alex, I'm Allen and this is-," he tried to finish before the small blonde woman grabbed his hand and gave it a soft squeeze.

She then looked at us and I saw just how pretty she was. She looked my dads age, maybe in her upper 30's and the natural makeup she had on made her sea blue eyes pop out at me.

A smile poised her red lipstick covered lips and she stepped forward till she was standing in front of me.

"I'm Lana, it's nice to finally meet you." He voice rang out and I softened at how soft it was. One thing caught my attention though and I made sure it was known.

"Finally?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys enjoy this! Tell me what you think!

Mad World - Gary Jules