Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Forty-Seven::

Desiree's P.O.V.

One week exactly had passed since that party and that glorious night with Maxim. We had seen each other now and again; passing swift, secret smiles to one another in the hallways.

I had gone for a run after I came home from school. Now I sat next to a stream, somewhere down one of the forestry paths on the outskirts of town. I began to ponder many things. Such things like Ellie and her odd, but steady and quiet, infatuation with Mr. Leroy. I wondered what Drake was doing. Then my thoughts drifted to visiting him. Travelling. Now, I began to ponder my trip to Europe. It was approaching at a scary fast pace. Ellie was excited. Me, not so much.

My body went cold at the thought of it. My hands became clammy and my head-spun in a sudden panic. I knew what Maxim's uncle did for a living and it scared the shit out of me. Why did he want me on 'his territory'? What was he planning? Why was he planning whatever it was? Why me?

I'd run. Fast as I could away from here. Away from Dmitri. My mother wouldn't miss me. Haden would probably love it.

Ellie would miss me though. And I would probably put her in immense danger if I just up and left. Ellie needed me to indirectly protect her.

I needed to learn to fight then. Max's words suddenly echoed in my mind. "I want to teach you how to fight."

We had discussed a bit on that topic in the morning, well... afternoon that we had gotten out of bed. Just briefly though. He did tell me that he would randomly find me and bring me to the gym.

Here, I waited in some patient hope that he would materialize out of thin air. Then I laughed at the absurdity of the thought.

I shook my head in exasperation. I was suddenly so tired. Maybe I was tired from all of the problems and drama that had occurred in the past school year? I sighed. It really was. I was sick of all that had been happening.

Everything to deal with Haden. I just wanted to stab him with something. Literally, anything that would harm him would do.

Maybe even meeting Max just added to it. Actually, it did. I had full belief that I got sucked into a lot of what was happening between Dmitri and whatnot was because I was involved with Max.

Yet with more thought, Max will help me survive even more than he already has. Plus, I love him and he loves me. So in reality, if things hadn't turned out the way they did. I may not be sitting here thinking about the one person who has my heart in its entire entirety.

I sighed again. Just stop thinking about everything. I commanded myself irritably.

Yet I couldn't. My thoughts assaulted me to the point where I knew I was going to be sick with stress. So I stood back up and walked into the slightly frigid water. My tennis shoes soaked thoroughly in only a moment but the cool water felt refreshing. I tossed my phone and iPod far onto the bank.

I dove into the now knee deep water. The cold threatened to suck my breath away with one fatal gasp. I came back to the surface rapidly with a suddenly gasp for more air followed by a quick release.

I panted for a moment. The chilled water woke me up. My head felt clearer; less muddled. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. Then I began my journey back to my home that wasn't really a home.