Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Fifty-Three::

Ellie walked into the room just as the door to the neighboring room shut. She ran over to me and held my in a panic while consistently asking why I was crying.

“Max broke up with me.” I lied. She couldn’t know.

“That bastard.” She muttered angrily; without a second thought.

“Can I just be alone?” I snapped as if what she said angered me.

“Yea.” Ellie looked startled. “Umm, I’ll go see if I can crash in Ms. Brook’s room.”

“Thanks.” I got up and shut myself in the bathroom. “I’m so sorry.” I whispered quietly.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

It happened in the middle of the night. I was awake but not really. Nightmares littered my mind to the point where I was having trouble distinguishing whether or not everything was reality. Someone had grabbed me viciously by the shoulders; making my head whip painfully. At first, I thought it was a dream until one of them hit me across the face to stun me. The pain was all too real. I began screaming and kicking. A cloth was forced over my mouth and nose. Chloroform, I assumed.

The world blacked out. No dreams caressed me. Only vivid nightmares ripped me apart at random intervals.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

I woke up handcuffed to a chain hanging above me. My knees rested into soft sand. My hands were tingled in tune with my feet. My wrist hurt. My knees ached. My head throbbed a painful rhythm. I chocked back a sob. This was all too real.

“Maxim… Where are you, my love?” I whispered as tears streamed down my face. I ached to see his lopsided grin one more time, the steely grey eyes that shrouded with protection, and his domineering stance.

I tried to picture everything about him but fear clouded my mind and refused to bring him up. I tried again, as I cried harder. I hung my head low and pulled my arms together. The metal on the handcuffs bit harshly into my skin. I gasped in pain.

I attempted to ignore it. I pictured Max’s winter-darkened honey-brown hair, angled jaw, slightly imperfect nose and penetrating gaze. My fogged mind gave me what I searched for. I pictured Max caressing my tears away with his strong fingers. His broad had cupped my face. His eyes softened in love as he gazed at me.

My breath hitched in my throat. What a weak picture my mind gave me but I clung to it; until it evaporated like mist when a door slammed nearby. I stilled and held my breath. Footsteps echoed closer to me until I could hear the frustrated sigh of someone.

“My dear, you are far too dirty to be properly broken in.” A familiar voice reverberated to my ears.

I wanted to vomit at the sound of Dmitri’s voice.

“What? No response? Did they cut out your tongue?” He walked over to me and grabbed my jaw in a vise-like grip. Dmitri squeezed till I was forced to open my mouth. “I see that it is still prominently there. I also see the hatred burning in your eyes. Oh, my love, that will grow. Just wait and see in a couple hours. Picture it as this: I am your master and you’re the wild mare that needs to be broken. How enjoyable this’ll be.” He practically purred with such threat in his eyes.

Hate was extinguished by rapid fear.

“There’s the start I want to see. I can’t have you fighting back with whomever I sell you to. You can’t be giving me a bad reputation.” I wagged his finger at my in mock disapproval. “I’ll see you in a bit, dear.”
♠ ♠ ♠
You'll Find Me Under the Stars preview -

I hadn’t slept in what felt like an eternity. My heart cried out for Desiree but she was just out of reach. I had ideas of where she was at but every single one was wrong. Dmitri knew my steps and pulled her away each and every time I came near. I was dying. My heart was breaking and there was not a single fucking thing I could do about it.

I had promised this a few chapters ago and now I finally got around to it. Sorry for the wait on the preview as well as this chapter!