Status: My first story and seems to be going better than I had expected. If you're a sucker for twists then hopefully you'll enjoy this story.

Sinister Eyes

Pushing Through That Invisible Wall

I cursed under my breath the moment the branch broke, slowly leading to the target that now notices my whereabouts. Crashing down hard onto the wolf we both laid restless on the ground from the impact. Quickly regaining recover the wolf immediately got up, lunging forward at me with it's teeth barred wide open.

"Shit!" I yelled as heavy weight piled down on me. The wolf snapped it's jaws contently near my face, trying to hold it back. The look in it's eyes were filled with murder.

Elaine quickly gasped but wasn't sure what she could do. She looked over to the side of me to see the knife in my hand had fallen off after landing hard on the ground. Grabbing it could attract attention to her which would be good however she'd then have to worry about her life as well. Taking off as fast as she could she aimed for the knife. Grabbing it the second the wolf noticed her appearance she bit the side of her lip.

"Elaine run!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. The heavy weight of the beast quickly mounted off from my fallen body and took charge towards Elaine.

She took a step back hoping she could start running. A moment to late. The wolf leaped into the air, tackling her instantly to the ground. Screaming she jabbed the knife into the wolfs flesh. It howled in pain, thrashing around in pain.

I got up and ran toward the two, putting all my weight onto the wolf the moment I got close. Knocking it completely off from Elaine I grabbed the knife that was still embedded in the wolf. As the wolf rolled on the ground I raised the knife in the air, bringing it down with hard force. It howled in pain with each hit I did with the knife. Blood dripped from the blade, staining my clothes and hands.

"Are you okay?" I asked as a few seconds of awkward silence passed by. I panted with each breath.

She nodded. Her way of answering back. She breathed calmly. Silence. Silence filled us both. That wave of guilt and shame flooded over me with the image of killing this creature brutally just to survive. Blood stains that were now identification of a murder I just caused for this animal.

"We should get you washed up. You're full of blood."

Helping me up we walked toward the river that awaited our arrival into it's refreshing touch. The moment we stepped onto the cold stinging water it was like relief instantly flooded my body in ways I can't describe. I crouched down, letting the water get the rest of my body. It was cold and chilling but that didn't bother me one bit. Blood that was stained over my body slowly washed away with the slow currents of the river.

"So what are we gonna do with the wolf?" Elaine asked.

"We can cook it but for sure it won't taste good." I replied. I stared at the soulless body that rested on the ground. The blade was still full of blood. Evidence of the killing. Not like it matters.

Elaine studied my faces. The way I talked and moved. I was giving it away to easily. "Are you okay? You seem down."

I turned to look at her. Her hazel eyes studied mine, giving off a soft gentle energy from them. "Yeah I'm fine...I'm just..." I stopped. This wasn't like me. I was never this soft. "I'm just trying to get used to all this. Yeah I'm a little bummed out about killing that animal but I guess we didn't have a choice. I don't know." Finally saying.

She just nodded. Her arms wrapped around me. "You don't need to talk about it. I understand."

I let my head fall against her stomach, not wanting to get up. My arms wrapped around her, pulling her close to me. It felt good to be this close to someone for comfortable. It was like the first time in years I actually felt a warm feeling inside calmly burn like a candle.

As a few moments passed we both got up and studied the animal. We both agreed to hide near this giant tree that had large roots big enough for us to hide in for the night. The wolf we dragged along the way. Making a fire at night would be to obvious, especially if Elrick or some other guy was near.

We both huddled against the root of the tree. Bushes hidden around us to keep us hidden till the morning. My head leaned against the hard trunk, unsure if I was sleepy or just exhausted in general.

"Can I ask a question?" Elaine whispered. A lock of her purple bangs hanged down, blocking one of her eyes from view.

"Of course."

"Were you happy when they took you away from your parents?"

I flinched. A lost of breathe for a second. Inhaling a deep breath I just focused my eyes on the ground. "My father left when I was five. He had some important job to do for Velencity but they never told me. I was only five. I didn't understand anything. Several months passed and some guy came saying my whole dad's group didn't make it and they believed he didn't either."

Elaine gave a small cry, regretting she even asked the question. "Oh I'm so sorry."

"My mother cried for months. Not around me but at night I could hear her cry. Since she was the only one caring for me she tried to support me as much as she can. She eventually however gave into drugs." I took a deep breath. Each memory slowly engulfing a dark cloud around me. "One night she locked me in a small hidden room hidden at the back of her room. I heard some guy yelling but I wasn't exactly sure who it was. Finally I heard..." My voice cracked. My body shook with the thought of her suffering.

"I heard a gun shot. Some guy killed my mother. Finally I was adopted into a small family that took care of me till I was eight. Then I joined the academy."

She just stared. No words came out from her mouth. She came closer, resting her head on my shoulder, gently putting her hand on my mine. "I'm so sorry I asked. I feel stupid now."

"No it's okay."

"You sure?"

I nodded. I rested my head next to hers. "I can't hide it forever." Mixed emotions crowded me. I just wanted to sleep.

"I regret leaving my parents. I never wanted to." She whispered quietly. "Sometimes I felt like they never liked me much though. I always wore black and had my own sense of style for clothing. They never liked it. They always wanted it to be how they wanted. I guess it was their way of trying to protect me now that I think about it."

I quietly listened to her. Listening to her finish. "That could be true."

Her head that rested closed to my tattoo stood up. She looked me in the eyes. "I'm glad I met you guys though. I wouldn't have made it this far hadn't you been with me."

My head rose up a little, our eye levels matching. "I'm glad I met you too." It was like we both were in sync. Our heads got closer till our lips touched engulfing my body with a warm flame that was pleasant to it's touch. We continued to kiss, pulling back a few seconds later. Embarrassment was written all over our faces and we both knew it.

She crawled back next to me, letting her body rest against mine. We both fell to an instant sleep. Something I was waiting for the second it got dark. That didn't last however. I awoke to a few sounds rustling through the bushes around the area. I shook Elaine, hoping to get her awake soon.

"Yeah...?" Clearly not awaken up fully.

"People are here!" I whispered loud enough.

"Who?"

"I don't know but I can hear them searching around. We need to leave!"

We both got up immediately. We weren't clearly awake but tried to move as quick and silently as possible. Running away from the tree we headed in the opposite direction, taking the long way around to our destination. The second we hit that path I felt a force hit my leg so hard I cried out in pain as I landed on the ground.

"Ayye look who it is! The so called Black Cross!" Some guys voice echoed. It was hard to make out who he was. A large stick was in his hand.

"Rayson!" Elaine gasped, being forced to step back as the guy stepped in front of Elaine.

"Well, I was hoping I would run into you." Elricks voice.

I groaned at the pain, spitting out dirt. "Go to hell." I got up, studying who was around me. Elrick, the guy with a stick, and three others. A large crowd. A crowd I won't be able to take on my own.

"What the hell did you just say? How about seeing it a little closer to my face." Elrick spit.

I gave a small smirk. The pain in my leg was still screaming. "I would but I don't really wanna get a closer look of that ugly face of yours. Surely that's why your parents sent you to the academy."

Elrick gave the ugliest look ever, knowing I hit a pressure point. "Beat the shit out of him." His entire little gang started to walk towards me.

"Elaine, run." We both knew full well we couldn't stand up against all of them. Protecting Elaine was my top priority.

"No."

I bit my lip. I didn't want her getting hurt. I felt a wave of pain hit my leg, the guy had swung the stick again like a bat. I groaned but stood my ground. I grabbed the stick, pulling it towards me and elbowing the guy straight in the face. I could feel one of their fists jab against face, another against my chest and so force.

Within a quick second Syrus joined the party, running towards me and swinging a small bag with enough force to knock a guy straight in the face. "You okay? Their mugging you dude."

Keren came from another direction, jabbing a few punches at one guy and forcing him to the ground. "We just got here to. Good thing we both agreed to go out at night.

Elaine ran next to me, holding me up. I felt relief they made it in time but I was unsure if we all could take on the five of them, especially with Elrick. I grabbed the knife I hidden in my pocket, hoping it would scare them away.

It didn't.

Elrick pulled out a gun and aimed straight at Elaine.
♠ ♠ ♠
More of Rayson and Elaine. This one was a bit interesting to me. Hope you liked it!