Status: This entire book is done, and I am starting book II ! So please, feedback would really be loved!

The Hufflepuff

Just a Nutter

The playground was full of children, the younger ones that were Violet's age crawled and climbed then also ran around the jungle gym that the orphange had gotten two years earlier. The older children sat in the grass talking and giggled, some boys played a game of football. Violet however, did neither of these. Violet had found that she prefered to sit in the grass farthest away from the tall, brick building that she called home.

Violet didn't have very many friends, she used to have one friend. She was adopted though, so it left Violet alone for the next eight years. Until she could leave all by herself. Violet was what people called a nutter, or a 'mentally disabled' child. It put her on the bottem of peoples list of children they wanted to adopt. The workers, like Marie, told couples that would pick Violet out of a group to meet that she was a nutter, and needed extra help with doing things. That she was troubled. Eventually, Violet began to believe it. Mainly because she could make things happen, she could make things move, burst in to flames, and even grow.

Violet sat in the grass, with her back to the brick building. She held three pieces of grass in her fingers and braided them together. This was how she spent her time, when she wasn't drawing in her room.

"Hey, nutter! Marie is looking for you!" Violet looked over her shoulder, the nickname nutter didn't bother her all that much. Violet looked up at the boy named Kenny Thomas, he stared at her for a moment and then turned and ran back to his friends. Violet stood up and made her way to the building, dragging her feet. Her feets kept getting heavier and heavier with every single step. She didn't dislike Marie, but she didn't really enjoy her all that much. Whenever marie needed her, it was usually to tell her some other family had turned Violet down again.

"Violet," Marie sighed, as she looked down at her as soon as Violet stepped in the door.
"Violet, there is a nice man here to meet you."

"To meet me?" Violet asked, shocked as the women placed her hand on her shoulder and walked with her to Violet's room. Marie nodded, "But nobody ever comes to see me, Marie..."

"This might be your lucky day." She smiled, "This isn't for a home, though. It's about a boarding school."

"A school? Would I go for the term then have to come back?" Violet asked, looking up at Marie. Marie sighed, thinking of the right words to say to Violet.

"Violet," Marie started, bending down to Violet's hieght. "the right family just hasn't come along yet. They will though, I promise." Marie smiled, as she then opened the room door, in the room on the chair next to Violet's bed sat a old man. He had a long beard, and messy white hair. He wore a brown suite with a black bowtie. He had bright, welcoming blue eyes that looked at her through half cresent glasses. "Mr. Dumbledore, this is Violet Dursley. Violet, this is Mr. Dumbledore. I'll leave the two of you alone, Violet you know where my office is." Marie smiled, as she then turned and quietly closed the door behind her. Violet stood awkwardly at the door for a moment.

"Violet, you've made this room your own." The old man said, looking around at the messy desk that had colored pencils and paper spread across them. Then the box under it filled with old books. "I've come to give you this..." He smiled, pulling a envelope out of his pocket and handing it to her.

She took it, and looked at the front. It was adressed to her, Violet Lynn Dursley, the furthest field from Old Times Orphanage was written in hand written script on the front. She flipped it over and quickly opened it;

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards )

Dear Ms. Dursley,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted
at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please
find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no

later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall,
Deputy Headmistress


Violet re-read it a few times before looking up at the man, the school was called Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She couldn't be a witch, that was just impossible. Witches and wizards weren't real, they couldn't be real.
Violet thought for a moment, "That isn't possible, Mr. Dumbledore." She shook her head, handing the letter back to him. "It really isn't..."

"Well," He paused, looking at the envelope. "you are Violet Dursley, are you not?"
Violet nodded, "Violet...have you ever made anything happen that was out of the ordinary? Not real?" He asked, setting the letter on her bed.

Violet thought for a moment, "Once I killed a bush, but it was a accident and Marie said I was just seeing things." Violet stated, crossing her arms and seating herself on the bed. "And once I made a flower grow in the lunch room, but Marie said I was just seeing things again."

He chuckled, and opened his hand and thought for a short moment. Then, a small flame bursted out of it, for a inch above his hand. He thing took his other hand, and pulled a purple daisy out of the flame. The flower was not affected at all from the flame. He handed the daisy to her.

"Go on, you try it." He said, holding his hand open. Violet hesitated, she had been burnt before. She didn't want it to happen again. She looked at his other hand, it wasn't affected at all. It looked the same, Violet sighed before putting her hand in the flame. It felt like warm air, like during the summer when you walked out of a cool building and then you are surrounded by hot air. When she pulled her hand out, there was another purple daisy in her hand. Mr. Dumbledore closed his hand, the flame going out and leaving two purple daisie's.

"What do you say, Violet? Would you like to attend Hogwarts?" He asked, pausing. "You would be attending as a first year. There are seven years total."

"So every term, for the next seven years I would go to this place?" Violet asked, fumbling with the purple daisy.

Dumbledore nodded, "Yes, you would." He smiled, "This is if you decide to come..."

"I thought I was just a nutter." Violet sighed, "There are other kids? Like me?" Violet asked, a smile on her face. He nodded, "I could have friends..." She said quietly to herself. "Does Marie know? Does she know I'll be going? Does she know that I am a...a witch?" Violet asked, grinning know. She could go to a place, where there were other kids like her. She could have friends.

He thought for a moment, "Ms. Dursley, you must not tell anyone about you being a witch and the sort of school you will be attending." He paused, "That is against the wizarding law, is that understood?"

She nodded, "So to anwser your question, yes. Marie knows you will be attending a special school, but not completely." He paused, "I'll be back this friday, and I will be bringing you to get your things for school."

That night, Violet couldn't get to sleep. She was a witch, a real witch. She had always thought witches were ugly, with pasty green skin and a big wart on the tip of their noses. Now, now she knew that she was a real witch. She was going to go to school. A school with kids like her. For the next seven years, she would have a place to go to for the school term. She would barley be at the orphenage. But the most importent thing to her, was that she would be with people like her. She would have friends.