Status: Active :)

Do You Really Need Me?

Chapter 5

Jack was shaken awake the next morning by Rian who was already dressed and ready for the day.
"Jack" called Rian "Come on buddy, you gotta get up. It's training day!"
Jack smiled up at Rian brightly but on the inside he was freaking out.

Ok. He thought to himself. There is no room for error today ok? You have to do EVERYTHING that Rian says the FIRST time he says it ok? No matter what it is.

Jack stretched out his body over his mat before pulling himself up onto all fours. He rolled his neck, making it crack before following Rian out of the room. They stopped in the kitchen where Rian had already cooked and had placed food on a plate for Jack on the floor near his feet. Was this a part of the training? Or did that start after breakfast? Jack just shrugged and started eating, he didn't want to upset Rian by not eating after all.

After breakfast Rian took Jack outside to their backyard to start their training session. Rian was standing a few meters in front of Jack who was sitting down on the grass.
"Jack" said Rian to get his attention but he already had it. Jack had his thinking cap on and was ready to go. He was on a total alert.

Jack smiled up at Rian as he walked closer and knelt down so that they were eye level.
"Today I want to have a little chat with you ok?" asked Rian as he sat down and Jack could feel his heart start to race.

Was this when Rian was going to tell him? That he has to shape up or get out? Jack struggled to keep his breathing under control and the smile on his face. Don't show Rian that you're freaking out. He thought. He might think that you're weak. but you're not! You're Jack! The toughest dog ever!

Jack nodded slowly at Rian. Rian gestured for Jack to move closer to him and Jack crawled slowly on his hands and knees even closer to his owner. Jack stopped when their knees were touching and sat down cross-legged. Just like Rian.

"I want to talk to you about the rewards system" said Rian and Jack almost let out a sigh of relief. he wasn't being disowned. Not today anyway. "Do you know what that is?" Rian reached out and touched Jack's knee gently. Jack looked down at Rian's hand. He honestly had no idea what that was. Would Rian get mad? Jack hoped not.

Jack shook his head and kept his eyes down. What he didn't expect to hear next was Rian say
"That's ok"
Jack's head snapped up to look at Rian who was smiling at him gently.
"It means that when you do something right, you get a reward."

Jack's eyes lit up. Reward? What on earth could Jack do to earn a reward? He didn't know but he wanted one.

"You know when you do something good and I pat your head?" asked Rian and Jack nodded slowly, not sure where this was going. "That's a smaller version of what I'm talking about now"
Jack dropped his head to one side as he thought. What would he have to do to get a bigger reward then?

"I've been thinking" said Rian and before Jack could begin to panic Rian continued "That maybe I could start asking you to do bigger things and I can give you bigger rewards if you do them right"
Jack nodded eagerly "But that also means that if you do something wrong you get a bigger punishment as well. Can you handle that?"

Jack thought about it for a moment before nodding. He was already doing everything he could not to annoy Rian so he wouldn't get punished if he kept not doing anything wrong!

"I can't think of what you would want as a bigger reward? It's not as if I've ever had a pet before you Jack" Said Rian
Kisses. Kisses. Kisses. Thought Jack. That would be a PREFECT reward. No Jack think. Rian would never do that no matter how much you impressed him.
Jack just shrugged. He couldn't think of anything else that he wanted from Rian besides his love.

"That's ok" said Rian patting Jack's leg "We can always think about that as we go along"
Jack nodded and looked up at Rian
"But I do have some ideas about what I'm going to do as punishments ok? I don't like some of these things but I think that if you misbehave once and find out what happens you won't want to do it again"
Jack tipped his head to the side again and Rian just chuckled "I can't tell you Jack, only if you misbehave ok?"

Jack nodded. If Rian didn't like it and he hadn't even used it yet then it must be REALLY bad. Maybe he still was going to disown him. He was just waiting for Jack to misbehave. Well, thought Jack. That's not going to happen so he won't have to!

Rian patted his head "Ok now that's over let's do some training!" he stood up and Jack sat up again. Alert. Ready.

"Sit"
Jack sat up as straight as he could.
"Lay Down"
Jack pressed his stomach as close to the ground as he could and looked up at Rian.
"Roll Over"
This is where Jack stuffed up last week. He squeezed his eyes shut and rolled over as best as he could before opening his eyes and looking up at Rian.

"Well done Jack!" Said Rian, squatting down next to him and rubbing the top of his head. Jack just shut his eyes and smiled proudly. See Rian. He thought. I AM well behaved. You don't need to even THINK about getting rid of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this is so late! I hope you enjoy it!

Leave me lots of comments and hopefully the next chapter will be up quicker!
:)