The Rain Still Makes You Smile

Chapter 3- Breaking Pont

The door opened for possibly the fifth time this morning. "I'm not dead yet." I mumbled, and the door closed again. I curled up under the sheets and hugged the bear tighter against myself. The door opened again and I groaned. " Go away!"
"That's not way to talk to your nurse." Nelly joked. I sighed, relieved. "It's just you."
"Oh that makes me feel good." She laughed. I smiled. "You know, it's almost noon, if you're hungry."
"Could you bring it to me, please? And maybe some paper and a pencil?" I asked. She nodded. I sat up. She turned and walked out.

The barely touched lunch sat at the end of the bed while I wrote quietly, Nelly had gotten comfortable across the room in a chair. "Don't stab yourself with the pencil or give yourself papercuts." She reminded me for the fifth time. I shook my head playfully. There was a knock at the door and Nelly stood opening it. "Could I speak to Alex, please?" A familiar voice asked. Alyssa. I shook my head quickly as Nell turned her head to look back at me. "He's asleep. Sorry Alyssa."
"Oh, okay. Thanks anyway." She said, walking off. I sighed heavily. "You okay, Alex?" Nelly asked, turning to me. "Can you take me back to the pond?" I asked. She nodded and I stood. We waited a few minutes to make sure Alyssa was gone before slipping out of my room and going to the coat room. Nelly grabbed her coat and the two pairs of gloves, and I got back into my coat, beanie and converse. We stepped out into the pouring rain and walked down the trail. The stepped up to the pond. And I swear to god, a memery rushed back and hit me like a ton of bricks.

I stood silently beside my mum. Tears stained both of our cheeks and she had her arm around me. Dad stood beside her trying to be strong. Family and friends surrounded us. We watched as they lowered the casket into the ground. "Goodbye Thomas" I heard my mum whispered, as the hole was slowly filled in. My mother dropped to her knees, her head buried in her hands. I didn't know what to do. "Momma it's okay" I tried, sniffling. Sobs rocked her body and my dad tried to comfort her, she just sobbed harder.

"Alex! Are you alright?" Nelly asked. She walked over and brought her thumb along my cheek. I sniffed and nodded. "Y-yeah." I mumbled, wiping away the tears I was barely aware of. She pulled me into a hug and rubbed my back. I wrapped my arms around her too and buried my head in her neck. This was really the first time anyone here had seen me cry. I was usually strong. Usually. But today was not that day. Today I let myself break down. I was tired of keeping it in, and it was nice to let it out for once, right? At least, I like to think so. Nelly lowered us both to the ground and held me until I could pull myself together. I pulled away and wiped my face with my sleeve. "It all started when I was twelve..."