Status: We'll see how it goes...

Through Another's Eyes

Chapter 9

Cassidy got a call the next morning while Delany was brushing Lucky and Cassidy was watching Rebel while Adrian slowly groomed him. She made eye contact with Chris as she stepped out of the barn. So far Rebel had been behaving himself, but that could change at any moment. He seemed very quiet around Adrian, but anything could spook a horse at any time.
“Hello?” she asked, already knowing who it was from recognizing Chuck’s number.
“So the good news is the judge knows about what a douche the kids’ father is,” Chuck said. “He said there should be no problem getting custody of the kids and showing that you’re a responsible guardian. He also had a grand nephew who was in a car accident that was supposed to be paralyzed that recovered by riding a certain black horse named Major…”
“Judge Carthy.”
“They very same. The only problem is, the father will fight it.”
“What? Why?”
“He collects unemployment, even more with supporting the two kids. Especially now that he’s a single parent, he might be in line for even more.”
“We’ll have no problem proving that he’s unsuitable.”
“Cassidy, I’m just warning you that courts like to keep kids with their parents.”
“But not always.”
“No, not always. And I don’t think in this case that the father has a hope in hell of keeping the kids.”
“What else do I have to do?”
“When the time comes, sign papers, that’s about it. And if it does come to court, you’ll have to find character witnesses which I’m sure you’ll have no problem with.”
“Covered there. People love me.”
“Because you help them or their relatives get over emotional and physical obstacles. You’re a good person.”
“Don’t tell people that, it’ll ruin my reputation.”
Chuck laughed. “I’ll talk to you later Cass. Don’t get stepped on or kicked or whatever other damage horses can do to you.”
“I’ll try.” She hung up and walked back into the barn, a new thought occurring to her. What if they kids didn’t want to live with her?

Cassidy returned to the barn looking slightly worried. Adrian’s heart dropped. It was probably time for them to leave, he hadn’t expected to stay this long. But he’d come to love Rebel already and he was the only one the horse would allow near him without pinning his ears or striking out. Chris had said something about kindred spirits, whatever that meant.
“Hey guys, come here for a minute,” Cassidy said as she headed through a doorway that she had pointed out as her office the day before.
Reluctantly, Adrian left Rebel standing tied up and walked down the aisle. Cassidy was sitting on her desk that was cluttered with papers. Delany must have also sensed that something was up because she was sitting on a couch across from Cassidy with a worried expression on her face.
Adrian didn’t sit. He just crossed his arms and waited for Cassidy to speak.
“Do you guys want to live with me?” Cassidy asked worriedly.
Adrian blinked. He hadn’t expected a question, he’d expected her to tell them that they were leaving. When the question sunk in, he automatically nodded his head. Delany did the same.
“I mean, not just temporarily, permanently.”
“We can do that?” Delany asked.
For the first time, some of the tenseness left Cassidy’s face and she smiled. “Yes you can, if I can custody of you guys. But I want to make sure it’s okay with you first.” She turned her gaze to Adrian. “What do you think Adrian? You want to stay here until you’re old enough to move out?”
Adrian just stared at his aunt, not able to believe his ears. She wanted him here? Permanently? He swallowed the lump in his throat. All his life, it had seemed like no one had wanted him except Delany who at times, he believed just needed him but not wanted him. He could see in Cassidy’s eyes that she wanted him to say yes. He tried to speak, but he feared he would cry if he did, so he settled for nodding once.
Cassidy smiled brightly and opened her arms. Delany went running to them, smiling. Adrian was more hesitant. He was a boy after all and boys didn’t express emotions like that....he was thinking as he slowly walked forward.
“Come here tough guy,” Cassidy scolded, grabbing him around the shoulders and hugging both of them. “You guys will probably have to give me some time to adjust to being a parent, just tell me what to do if I get stuck.”
“Like we have anything to compare you to,” the remark slipped out of Adrian’s mouth before he could check it.
He expected Cassidy to yell at him. Instead, she smiled sadly. “I guess you don’t at that. Quick wit Adrian. Don’t ever be afraid to use it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm just going to go ahead and put up the Epilogue too. Comment, subscribe, recommend, check out my other stories ;)