Status: *in progress*

There is Something...

*11*

“Hello! I would like…um…” Rory looked back over his friends at the table at the far end of the almost empty coffee house and counted, “3 Lattes and 3 cups of tea, 2 black and one green. And..” he looked over the cheering crowd again and set his eyes on Mary-Ann. Apparently she felt him watching and broke her conversation with Rou to look at the Ginger Man. She smiled and he looked away.

“And?” The girl at the cash register asked wining Rory’s attention. She instantly blushed as Rory looked at her again with his crystal-blue eyes.

“Oh. And 6 servings of pancakes.”

“Would you like some sauce with your pancakes? We have strawberry, chocolate, caramel and also whipped cream,” she counted on her fingers and gave him a shy smile.

“Oh, yeah..thanx. Just make each serving with a different flavor.” Rory answered and showed his hands into pockets of his jeans. He looked at the girl behind the cash register and admired her slender figure.

“Thank you for your order. I’ll bring everything in 5.” With that the girl in a purple uniform disappeared in the kitchen. Rory watched her leave the room, tapped his fingers on the counter and smiled to himself. He returned to the table where Chris was helping Rob to put the toothpicks into his nose and Alice assisted them in counting, while Mary-Ann and Rou watched their friends with genuine curiosity.

“Rory C!” Rou cheered as the tall guy approached their table, “What is your thesis?”

The Ginger Man sent his old friend an angry look and seethed, “Shut up or die.” And he dropped himself on the stool beside Mary-Ann and easily relaxed, “The order will be here in a couple of minutes.” He announced but nobody seemed to care. They were too occupied by Rob’s maybe-record.

“Isn’t that dangerous?” Mary asked Rory and Rou.

“When it comes to Rob there is no logic. It is better not to think about such situations. There are a lot of them, believe me.” Rory informed.

“Hello, guys. My name’s Charlotte.” They all were interrupted by the girl from the checkout counter. She smiled when they all looked at her. “Who wanted coffee?” Chris, Rob and Alice raised their hands and the waitress gave them their cups. “Green tea?” she continued raising an eyebrow at the last three.

“Thank you.” Rou waved her. And then Charlotte placed two remaining cups of tea in front of Mary-Ann and Rory. After that she put some napkins on the table beside Rory and shifted them closer to him. Rob watched that scene intently and when the waitress promised to be back with their pancakes in a matter of minutes he forgot about toothpicks and sprung from his seat.

“Hey! Those are my napkins!” Rory protested but no-one could beat Rob in doing something if he was too interested. He skimmed through the white paper and his grin seemed to rise to his ears.

“Looks like somebody’s got a phone number of little Charlie,” Rob teased waving the napkin before Rory’s nose. He tried to snatch it from the drummer, but all in vain.

“Guys!” Alice signaled to them by her head in the direction of the kitchen. Charlotte was coming out with her back to the tables so she wouldn’t drop the plates. When she successfully emerged from the steamy room she quickly found the table and marched to it with a bright smile.

“Hey,” she said when she glanced over the cheerful company. Her eyes fell to the napkin in Rob’s hand with visible numbers on and her face turned white. She cleared her throat and asked with a slightly shaking voice, “I have 6 servings with 3 different flavors. Strawberry?” Alice and Chris raised their hands and got the plates. “Caramel?” she continued and put the meal before Rou and Rob, the latter giving Charlotte a wicked smile and some hushed “thank you” with a wink. “I guess these are for you then,” she chirped to Rory and Mary-Ann.

“Thank you, Charlotte.” Piped Rory and gave her his brilliant smile. She just nodded and skipped away from the table. Then he looked sternly at Rob, “Give it to me.” And his forehead received a ball of paper which landed on the chocolate cream, “Thank you.”

“She is lovely,” Mary-Ann whispered in Rory’s ear. He looked at her in disbelief but was glad that she didn’t mind him trying with another girl.

In half hour the whole party found themselves back in the car driving to the beach house. Chris refused to let Rory drive because he was all dreamy and every now and then would fall out of conversation. When they were leaving the coffee house he gave Charlotte the address to the beach house and invited her over and she immediately agreed as she was living nearby. There was a little fight between Rob and Mary for the right to seat near the window and Alice advised Mary to seat on Rob’s lap. And now they were giggling when they saw anything amusing for them.

“Finally,” Rou breathed out. The whole 2 hour ride he was glued to the front passenger window and tried to buzz outside world because Alice chirped nonsense into Chris’ ear who apparently didn’t mind and kept the conversation going. The six of them scrambled out of the van and stretched themselves after a nonstop journey.

Mary-Ann admired the view before her eyes. The 2 storey red brick mansion with white fence, doors and windows stood grand before her. It had a flat roof which was decorated with hundreds of flowers and plants. Rob informed her earlier that it was ideal place for sunbathing and evening parties. The house had a huge loan before it and a back yard with a pool and a sandy path to the lake.

“That’s a mobster-house..” Mary mumbled to herself.

“C’mon, Ann,” Rob casually intertwined their fingers and pulled her into the house. “You are the lucky little one, have the privilege to choose you room first.” He told her unlocking the house and never releasing her hand. Mary looked at their hands and felt the warm feeling spreading through her spine.

“I suggest you choosing this one,” he opened the door before her after they passed the beautifully decorated living room, halls with family portraits and went up the stairs. The room was baby-purple, it had huge bay-window which overlooked the back yard and simple white furniture. “My mom has a thing for white,” Rob winked and then coughed a phrase “mine’s next-door” which was audible enough for Mary-Ann.

“I absolutely love it!” Mary confessed to the host and came to the window to have a good look at the view. “Thank you!” her eyes were sparkling and she ran to Rob to hug him. Rob being no stranger to hugs lifted the tiny girl and spun her around.

“LEGS! Watch it!” Chris warned and bent down away from the blow. The spinning couple parted and they giggled with a slight shame.

“Well,” started Rob suddenly nervous, “see you around, Ann.” He stroked his hair and came back downstairs to unload the van with their bags and put Rupert in his vacation cage.

“There is enough room for everybody and you chose my favorite one,” mumbled Chris under his breath and readjusted the boxes under his arms.

“Aw,” Mary-Ann poked his cheeks, “don’t be sad.” She pouted to him, smiled and closed the door of her room in front of his nose. She could hear Chris grumble something and shuffle away down the corridor, she suppressed her laughter and jumped on the bed. She rolled a few times trying to find a comfortable position and as soon as she found one she was out like a light.