True Love

Dinner.

Zack was sunken back down into the couch, his coffee cup was steaming and his leg was bouncing up and down nervously.

"I'm really proud of you..." Val spoke as she sat in the big recliner, "we're all really proud of you..." she spoke honestly, all the guys nodding.

"If that were me I probably would have ended up beating the bitch and spent the night in jail..." Johnny chimed but Zack just shook his head.

"I wanted to scream, I wanted to tell her what I really thought of her," Zack said staring absently down into his coffee cup, "but I can't afford for the girls to hate me any more than they probably already do,"

Zack hadn't slept again last night. Instead, he spent the entire night awake thinking.

The more he thought about the situation the more he realized he hadn't even hit the tip of the iceberg. Finding out he actually had kids was the easy part. He knew nothing about being a parent, his parents had never even trusted him to take care of his own brother for Christ's sake, and now he had not one, but two of his own? And money, he had plenty, having it wasn't the issue but did he owe back child support? Did he actually have any rights? His head was spinning.

"I don't even know where to start..." Zack mumbled, leaning forward he sat his coffee cup onto the coffee table before resting his elbows on his knees, taking his head into his hands, "I mean...I'm pretty sure my name isn't anywhere on the birth certificate because they have Mia's last name."

"I know they are your kids, there was never a doubt in my mind," Matt began, Zack lifted his head listening carefully, "but I would get a DNA test...they probably won’t bother to put your name on anything until they make sure."

Zack just nodded, running his fingers through his black hair.

"What about child support?" Brian mumbled softly, "I mean, isn't standard child support close to $600 a month per kid? I mean that’s what? Like $15,000 a year...for thirteen years? That's like..." Brian pulled out his phone, pulling up the calculator; his eyes went wide, "$195,000...Jesus H. Christ..."

"I don't even fucking care..." Zack huffed, "if that’s what it’s going to take for me to see my kids she can have it." but Val, began to shake her head.

"I really don't think Mia is after money, she’s a doctor? And both of her parents are really well off and I've been in her house and her cars and...just trust me it’s not about the money..."

"And the worst part of all-" Zack spoke as he walked over to the window, he watched out clearly eyeing Mia's house, "I thought I would hate her, I really am trying but..." he just shrugged, stuffing his tattooed hands down into his pockets, "I actually think I may love her more now-" everyone just kind of sat in silence, but Michelle took a deep breath.

"It’s perfectly understandable...she’s the mother of your children..."

"Yeah, I'm sure her boyfriend will appreciate that..." he seethed sarcastically, but Zack threw his hands up in the air in defeat.

Her boyfriend.

Zack had been so busy thinking about everything else he hadn't even thought about that.

"I can't-" Zack began to stammer before he began to rub anxiously at his face, "I really don't think I can deal with another guy being 'dad' you know? I mean Jesus Christ...he got them for thirteen years, I'm not going to share my kids, not now, not ever-"

"Aren't you supposed to meet her today?" Lacey chimed, Zack took a minute, thinking.

He pulled his phone out of his pocket, his fingers furiously tapping the glass screen.

He needed to talk to Mia.
He needed answers.
He needed reassurance...

But his phone dinged in his hand, almost shocking him. He hadn't expected her to text right back.

'I'm sorry, I got called into the hospital early this morning and I won't able to get away for a while. Can you do lunch at the hospital? I know cafeteria food isn't all that great...'

Zack didn't even think, he just started typing.

'I can be there in twenty minutes.'

Zack grabbed his jacket, slipping it on.

"Sorry guys, I have to go..." Zack mumbled quickly, pulling his keys from his pocket.

Image


Zack stood in the main lobby watching the elevators, he had watched what seemed like person after person get on and off the elevator. His foot began to tap up and down, but finally, the door slid open, revealing Mia. Her curly hair was pulled up into a ponytail, she was in bright magenta colored scrub pants, a fitted white V-neck t-shirt, a pair of pink and black cheetah print Nike's, and her lab coat.

In one hand she clutched her phone, in the other, she held a tall yellow Starbucks cup.

She smiled when she saw Zack.

And as hard as he tried, he couldn't help it. He had to smile.

Mia walked towards him, he opened his arms but she didn't even hesitate, she shoved her phone into her pocket before wrapping her arms around his neck, his wrapped tightly around her waist.

But to Zack's surprise, she didn't pull away.

He held her for a moment. Closing his eyes.

Even after all this time, her smell was intoxicating.

"Thanks for coming," Mia finally mumbled as she moved away, "I had an emergency this morning-" she said before pulling her phone from her pocket taking one last look at her phone before shoving it back into the pocket of her white lab coat, "Seventeen year old kids aorta ruptured..." she mumbled as they began to walk towards what he assumed would be the cafeteria, but instead she walked into a Starbucks that was quaintly tucked back into a corner of the hospital, "its quieter here...besides its Salisbury steak day," Mia mumbled to Zack, grimacing before sitting down. Zack laughed.

"Yeah this is way better..." he looked around, there were only a few more people there, he rested his elbows on the table before lacing his fingers.

"Look Zack," Mia started softly, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear, "I am so...so...so very sorry, for everything. I can't even imagine how you feel right now...you didn't deserve to be hurt like this...ever." Zack bit at his bottom lip, nodding slowly.

"I just..." he couldn't even find the words. But he glanced up, Mia's ice blue eyes were filled with tears, but she wiped them before they would ever have the chance to fall. He took a deep breath before he untangled his fingers, reaching over taking Mia's hands into his, lacing their fingers.

"I just...I want to be in their lives..." Zack mumbled without really even thinking.

Mia tightened her grip on Zack's hands.

"I've missed you, Mia..." Zack spoke, quite frankly shocking both Mia and his self.

"I've missed you too...so much," she mumbled, biting at her lip, "I hope you know this isn't about the money, it was never about the money...all I want is for you to be in their lives too..."

"I uh...I think we should have DNA testing done, not that I don't know they're mine...because I do," Zack said carefully, "but I want my name on their birth certificates and...and I want them to take my last name-" he was looking for some kind of emotion or reaction from Mia, "if uh...if that’s okay with you..." Mia managed a half smile.

"I think that sounds like a great idea...and we can do the testing right here, we have a really great lab..."

Zack smiled, but he let out a deep sigh.

"I just have one question, Mia..." Zack said his tone the most serious Mia could ever remember it being. Mia nodded softly.

"anything..." Zack let out a deep breath.

"I'm probably jumping the gun...but what about us?"

Mia bit at her lip, before shrugging softly, that was such a loaded question. Zack was the number one reason Mia hadn't married Chance. She had always worried that Zack would walk back into her life, and she had always held out hope they could work things out.

"well, I have Chance..." Mia started softly as Zack's face fell, "but, you're why I never married him. I won’t rule anything out..." the corner of Zack's mouth curved into a smile, "but I think we need to take things slow, you know? We need to be friends..." Zack could only nod.

Zack could only manage to stare at Mia, she truly was the most beautiful woman.

"What are you doing for dinner tonight?" Mia asked softly.

"Not a thing..." he answered quickly.

"Do you want to come over for dinner? The girls want lasagna, I promised I would cook and we would love to have you..."

"Just tell me when," Zack spoke. Mia smiled.

"7:30?" Zack could only nod before smiling.

"I wouldn't miss it..."

Image


Zack took a deep breath, in his left hand, he held a bottle of champagne his right hand reaching for the doorbell. From the other side, Zack could hear barking but his heart jumped into his throat as the door swung open.

Mia's smiling face greeted him, and she looked much different than earlier. Her hair was down and in elaborate curls, she was wearing dark washed jeans that hugged her every curve, she had on a white cami under a grey and white striped button up sweater.

"Hey," she mumbled sweetly before picking up the tiny dog, who was still growling, "he’s all bark, I promise..." Zack smiled, before letting the dog lick his hand, "Zack this is Sheldon!" Mia gushed before placing a soft kiss on the dog’s head.

"Sheldon?" he asked, laughing as he stepped into the house, "Sounds like you name dogs like I do..."

"I'm glad you could make it," Mia said smiling, Zack decided he would be brave, and he leaned in placing a kiss on Mia's cheek.

"I appreciate the invite..." he felt his cheeks flush hot as Mia smiled, but he quickly held up the bottle, "I brought champagne..."

Mia had told Zack she didn't want to tell the girls tonight, she told him she would do so when the time was right, and for now, Zack could just get to know them.

Zack trailed after Mia into the kitchen, taking in the house as he walked. Val was right, this place was gorgeous, "Your house is great..." Zack chimed as Mia sat the dog down, taking the bottle from Zack and placed it in the fridge.

"Oh thanks," Mia said sweetly as she walked over to a large bowl full of lettuce, which she began to toss, "my sister decorated, I ordered everything and she had it move in ready by the time we got here, which was great." Zack sat down at one of the bar stools at the island.

"How is Reese anyways?" he asked, he was looking around trying to see if she could hear or see the girls.

"Married," Mia said smiling softly, "she has her own business, she’s an interior decorator-" Mia glanced up, noticing Zack's drifting attention, "you want to see them?" she asked softly, biting at her lip, but he nodded quickly.

Mia walked out of the kitchen, and he could hear her yell.

"Emma! Kenz! Will you come down here? We have company..." and moments later Mia reappeared in the kitchen.

"Can I help with anything?" Zack asked, but Mia just smiled, shaking her head.

"No, thank you though-"

"Sorry mom, we were-" Kenzie started, but stopped when she saw Zack, "Hey Zack," she said smiling softly. She was wearing jean capris and a pink tank top, and she was barefoot just like her mother.

"Hey, uh-" he was struggling.

"Mackenzie..." Mia mumbled softly before offering him a reassuring smile.

"Hey..." Emma said sweetly walking into the kitchen, she was wearing a teal colored sundress.

"Hey, Emma..." Zack said, knowing her name this time.

"Who's hungry?" Mia asked quickly as she pulled the lasagna from the oven.

Zack couldn't get over how perfect the girls were, let alone that they were his. After dinner the girls had invited Zack to play scrabble, he happily accepted and after losing seven games in a row they offered to play Xbox with him, and they let him win. He knew they did, but he didn't care.

"Alright, you two..." Mia said to Emma and Kenzie who were both yawning, "you both need to head to bed," the girl groaned in protest but Mia rolled her eyes, "you two were the ones that want to take surfing lessons, I am paying for early morning lessons. Bed, now." Mia stated firmly. The girls both stood up without another word, placing kisses on their mother’s cheeks before sandwiching Mia between them.

"Night mom..." Kenzie grumbled, "love you..."

"I love you too..." Mia said before kissing her head, "and I love you..." Mia said doing the same to Emma.

"Love you mom..."

"Night Zack!" the girls called in unison before they began to climb the stairs.

"Night guys..." Zack said softly, his smile wide.

It wasn't long before they heard doors shut from upstairs.

Mia walked over, sitting next to Zack on the couch, "they're amazing..." Zack said softly, "they're so...perfect..." Mia smiled.

"They've got you fooled..." she whispered.

Zack went silent as he stared into Mia's deep blue eyes, "you're an amazing mom..." he said, scooting closer, Mia managed a smile. But Zack reached up, placing his hand softly on her cheek. He let out a nervous breath before reaching in, he had expected her to pull away but instead, she scooted closer and Zack leaned in pressing his lips against her soft pink ones. It was soft, it was passionate...it was everything they use to be. Electricity flew through his body.

Mia pulled away softly, Zack locked stares with her. But Mia nodded softly, and with that Zack pressed his lips to her again, this time using his tongue to part her lips, Mia moaned softly. Zack moved carefully, now hovering over Mia.

"Are you sure about this?" Zack whispered, but Mia didn't even hesitate. Instead, she reached down, grabbing at the hem of his t-shirt, lifting it above his head.

"I've never been surer..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright guys, thanks so much for reading!
I really appreciate it.
Comment & Subscribe?

And, as always- the Visual.