Status: Hiatus

Things They Don't See

A Mild Shock

When I got back from the center of town, I dropped by the front desk to say hello. Mia was standing there. "Hi Mia," I said cheerfully. "Hi! It's Abby, right?" she asked. "Yeah. Hey, you guys have a beautiful garden. Could I pick a carrot or two? Or even a flower?" I ask. She smiles and says, "Yes, but we do have a limit. The fruit and vegetable garden only allows for a guest to pick three things a day. The flower garden is different. You can pick five or six."
"What about the rose garden?"
"You can only pick one a week."
I try to hide the shock that hits me. He has picked so much more than that.
"Are you okay?"
"Yeah, sorry. I just thought about something I forgot to do. It'll be fine."
"Alright."
"Well, I better get back to my room. I'm tired. I went to the downtown Gettysburg area today. I had a great time."
"Okay. Have a great evening!"
"You, too, Mia."
The room was dark when I entered it except for a candle lit in the kitchen. I don't remember lighting that.
"Annie?!" I yell out, hoping it was just her and that she's in her room. When she doesn't answer, I check her room to see if she's sleeping. She isn't there. What the hell? I flip on the living room lights and blow out the candle. I walk over to my bedroom door and begin to turn the knob before it stops. It won't turn anymore. I try pushing on the door, and it won't budge. "COME ON! LET ME IN!" I scream at the door. At least, it budges, and I fall into the room. I pick myself up from off my hands and knees. I look at the end of my bed and see a letter with a bright red rose drawn on it.
When I pick it up, a dried bright red rose falls into my hand. I place the rose on my dresser and open the letter.
It reads:
My dearest Abby,
I want to see you. I want to talk to you, but you keep looking for me. You won't find me. Only I can find you. With those roses, I will always be with you though. When I find you, you will find me. I am sorry to let you fall on your knees and not help you. That is exceedingly rude of me. I am a gentleman. I shouldn't have done that to you, but I needed just a little bit of time to write this letter and place it with the rose. My sister once drew me a rose long ago, so I could draw one for a lady if I didn't have a rose to give. I hope you like it. I was nervous that I was drawing it wrong. You will see me again soon.
Love,
Your secret admirer

I fold the letter again and place it in the top dresser drawer. That's it. I'm going downstairs to ask Mia about who this person is, I conclude. I go into the living room, then open the door of our room. Just as I get to the stairs, I look back at our room, realizing that I left my key in the room. When my eyes meet his, it's silent. He tosses the keys to me, and I catch them. I run down the stairs before he can do or say anything.

---------------------------------------

"Mia," I say a bit loudly.
"What's wrong?" she asks concerned.
"Is there another teenager staying here? A boy by any chance?" I ask, trying not to sound like a desperate teenage girl.
She checks the computer system and looks up at me, "I'm sorry. No. Why did you ask?"
"I keep seeing this teenage boy everywhere around here. He wears oldish kind of clothing. He is really attractive. And he keeps leaving me letters and roses," I say exasperated.
Mia's face has turned white. "Did he bring you the bright red roses?"
"Yeah."
"Amelia?!" Mia yells into the backroom for the owner.
"What's happening Mia? Are you okay?" Amelia comes out with a frightened face.
"She has seen him," Mia admits to her.
"Abby? Right?" she asks. I nod. "Has he talked to you?"
"Only a few words. He told me that he was glad that I liked the roses."
She sighs. "Abby. That boy was Andrew Phippen's son. The man who lived her during the Civil War. His name is...was Eli. Eli Phippen. He fought in the Battle of Gettysburg."
"What?" I saw shocked, "But he's real."
"He is a ghost, who is still living. We don't know if he can touch people, but we do know that he writes letters and gives roses. He's only written notes to two girls staying here. You and an old employee. She didn't like that feeling of a ghost interacting with her, and she quit. He only speaks to people he's interested in and will surprise them. You can't find him. He finds you."
"He said that in his last letter to me."
"Abby. He was wounded in battle and asked to be brought back here to his house. He died with his family around him. The way he wanted."
"Oh."
"Abby, you're special to him. His behavior indicates it, but please keep this from the other guests. He will only show himself to you."
"Okay, I won't. Annie doesn't know either."
"Good. I hope you enjoy seeing him again."
"Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow."
I start the walk back to my room. So, the wait begins.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me what you all think. I'd love more comments after this chapter. :)