Status: Active

When Night Breaks

Jay: Breaking The Rules

On the moonlit rooftop of my house I sat in reflection on what had just happened. The clouds weren’t out and it was a clear, cool night. I had saved people before. In the many times I would wander the streets, I would see things that threatened people. Usually, it was nothing major, and I never let anyone see my face or any details of my appearance. I always ran away before they could realize what happened. Typically, it would be stopping a mugging, or theft. No harm was ever done, and I was always just acting out of instinct. Tonight though, I stood inches from a girl that had seen my face and seen what I could do.

Leo would kill me if he knew. He would absolutely be livid with anger. I broke the biggest rule we had, and I was careless. I should have never stayed in her apartment. I should have left as soon as I put her on the bed. Should have. But I didn’t. And now, I was sitting on the rooftop beating myself up about it. It must have been the sting of stupidity that took over my brain, because I made the decision to find her again. Right after I had acknowledged breaking the rules, I was going to do it again. This time though, it would be daylight. I needed to make sure she didn’t tell anyone what happened. Maybe if she seen me in the day, she would think what she seen tonight was all in her imagination. Maybe.

Image

I went to the college where she took classes and I waited until she was leaving for the day. She had just left the commons area building and was headed to her car. She was walking alone, so I knew it was my chance.

“Samantha” I said as I approached her. I came at her from the side, so she was startled when she seen me. She let out a gasp, and nearly dropped her book.

“What are you doing here?” She backed away a little and I noticed her eyes were wide with question and fear.

“Don’t be afraid. I’m not here to hurt you. I just want to talk to you. Do you think we can sit somewhere private?” I myself was shocked at the proposition I had just made. I had never had this close contact in such a public place in years. I wasn’t even sure why I was doing it, or what I would say to her.

“Uhm, sure. I mean, I guess. Where?” She was nervous.

“Not here on campus. There’s a pavilion in the park down the road.” I could tell she was very hesitate to go anywhere with me. I don’t blame her.

“Look, I’m not here to hurt you, I told you that. Trust me. I saved you once, why would I want to turn around and hurt you? And no, I’m not stalking you. I just needed to discuss last night.”

“Fine.” She agreed.

“Meet me in the pavilion by the bridge in the park. There will be people there at the park, so you won’t be alone with me. It’s still private enough to talk. Be there in 20 minutes.” I then turned around and walked away before she had a chance to respond. I could still feel her eyes staring at me, as I left the campus.

Image

I arrived at the park before Samantha did, and I took a seat at the wooden picnic table in the pavilion. Although private enough for me, and public enough for her, it was less than comfortable seating. I seen her walking across the bridge headed my way. Her eyes were shifting, and her nervousness and readiness to flee was apparent. I stood as she entered the pavilion.

“Have a seat.” I motioned to the other side of the table, and she sat down.

“Who are you?” She asked right away.

“I told you last night, it doesn’t matter. How are you feeling? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Little bump on the head, but it’s fine.”

“Good. I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Thank you for helping me, I appreciate it. He would have killed me, probably.”

“No need for thanks.” I could tell she was checking my face out. You could tell she was confused as to
why I looked different than the previous night. I was not there to discuss that issue, however.

“I asked you here to make sure that you didn’t tell anyone about last night. It must remain a complete secret.”

“Why?” I hadn’t really prepared an answer for that simple one worded question.

“Well, it’s just very important it remains between the two of us. I promise no harm will come to you and it’s nothing to be afraid of.” That, however, may have been fabricated, because in all honesty, I probably was something to be afraid of. “Do I have your word?”

“Yes.” It was much simpler than I had planned.

“Good. It was nice seeing you again, Samantha, but I must go.” I stood up to leave, but when I did she stood up too and grabbed my arm.

“Wait!”

“Yes?” I asked.

“Tell me your name. Please. I just want to know your first name. You saved me, and then come and tell me all this about keeping it a secret. I deserve to know at least your first name.” I could sense the sincerity in her voice. As I began to leave, I looked her in the eyes. It was those same beautiful eyes I seen the night in the parking lot. At that moment, I wanted her to know my name.

“Jay. My name’s Jay.”

“Jay.” She repeated and nodded, “Thank you.”

I then turned and walked off. I left quickly and headed for my home. The way she spoke my name almost took the breath out of me. It sounds ridiculous, that just the way someone says your name could have such a profound effect. I didn’t understand it myself. It was a scary feeling. Yet, it held an excitement and a sense and feeling that was as unfamiliar to me as I knew my secrecy was to her.