Skyfall

This Is The End

Douglas slammed his shoulder into the closet door over and over, silently begging Zayn to let him out. He had to get to Aerabella, he knew who had really done this and she was defenseless. He refused to let anything happen to her, not because of him. He finally stepped back and kicked the door, a loud crash followed and he kicked it again to be met with Zayn. His eyes were huge as Douglas walked over to him.

“Zayn, you have to listen to me, I know who did this. And if you don’t get me out of these then Aerabella is going to die.” Zayn pressed his lips together before he finally nodded. He knew that Liam wouldn’t lie about Aerabella getting hurt, so he figured he had no choice but to believe him. Besides, Zayn was sure he was more than capable of taking Liam down if needed.

“Alright. But I don’t have the key.” He said, nodding to the handcuffs.

“Then how did you get out of them?” Zayn held up his raw, cut up wrists.

“Where there’s a will mate.” He then turned and went into the bathroom. “But at least you have someone to help you. Your little girlfriend left me to fend for myself.” Douglas smirked as Zayn walked back out and picked the lock with a courtesy bobby pin from the hotel. Once Douglas was out Zayn turned to him. “So, what’s the plan?”

“Aerabella left her gun at her apartment, I need to get a hold of it and figure out where the Hell she is.” The raven haired boy cocked an eyebrow at him.

“You know how to use a gun?”

“My dad taught me.” Douglas lied.

“Alright, what do you want me to do?” Douglas’ eyes narrowed.

“Find Harry and Niall, if I’m right about this then they’re walking right into a trap.” Zayn nodded, pulling out his phone and running out of the room as Douglas followed, both of them getting into separate taxis. As Douglas gave the driver directions to Aerabella’s apartment he just prayed he wouldn’t be too late.

Aerabella glared at the familiar face in front of her. The plump lips, dark eyes, and adorable button nose were unmistakable. She felt like her heart was breaking as she looked at Douglas, standing in front of her. She couldn’t believe she had trusted him this entire time. She watched as he walked over and gently picked her up off the crane, setting her down on the pavement in a heap since she couldn’t stand.

“How could you do this to me?!” She growled. “I…” She stopped, closing her eyes tightly and praying that when they opened she would see Louis or Harry in front of her.

“You love me, well, the man you think is me.” Her eyes flew up to meet his.

“Liam?” He smirked.

“The one and only love.” He cooed.

“But Douglas, he said you had an alibi. He said you weren’t a suspect!” He squatted down as she sat up, his eyes staying with hers intensely before a smile broke over his face.

“Yes, I did have alibis, but they all hinged on one thing, Danielle.”

“She was in on it?” He pressed his lips together in a smile that made her stomach lurch.

“Not really, but when you know your boyfriend is a psycho serial killer you’ll do anything to stay alive, including lying to the police. Not that I have to worry about that anymore.”

“What?”

“She had a bit of an accident. A house fire, terrible tragedy.”

“You’re a monster.”

“No, if anyone’s a monster here, it’s you Aerabella Haddock. You let your sister’s killer walk free and now she won’t leave you alone, will she? You’re as much of a killer as I am.”

“I am nothing like you.” She hissed. “I couldn’t help my sister, it wasn’t my fault!” He leaned over her before whispering into her ear.

“And you couldn’t help any of my victims either, now could you? You couldn’t even help Samantha.” She fought against her restraints, desperate to kill him, but they didn’t budge. He smiled at this, running his thumb over her lips again. “Such a shame, I wish I could have been the one to fuck you instead of that SOCA idiot.”

“How do you-”

“Because my dear, when a man is walking around with my face, they want to make sure you know he won’t abuse it. I know more about Douglas Smith then I bet his parents do. And I pretended to be him on several occasions to get information about you from his little buddies.”

“How have you not gotten caught?” He shrugged.

“Because I’m technically in an undisclosed location, meaning only Douglas knew where to find me. So if he ever checked up on me for facts or whatnot, he would know how to get a hold of me. So when I left that damn shack in Costa Rica no one really noticed much.” He smiled again. “And then I got your file, you see, the reason little Doug didn’t quite tell you why the FBI busted him out is because they busted me out.”

“What?”

“I was the one you had arrested. I even told you with that little message in Sam’s blood, but you took in your little love bird instead. Pity.”

“Then why wouldn’t he tell me he had no idea what I was talking about?”

“You’re the one who shagged him, you tell me.” He whispered. “You actually almost had me at the DNA, but luckily I was the one they tested, so it came back as Liam Payne, no red flags.”

“And the fingerprints? How do you explain that?”

“SOCA is very thorough when they make someone else into you. They burned off his finger prints and regraphed mine in their place. They let me watch too, it was actually quite lovely, hearing him try and hold back his moans of agony when they burned him.” He smiled again, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. “It’d be a pity to kill a lovely bird like you, so what do you say you and me head back to Costa Rica together? Sun, surf, sex, it’ll be a wonderful time.”

“I’d rather burn in Hell.” She spat. He sighed.

“Suit yourself. But I think I’ll untie you first, I’m at least going to get some pleasure out of you before you die.” He smirked again, his eyes near black. “Well, killing you will probably be pretty great too, but Lou and Haz got to those other birds before I did, and that friend Sam of yours, well I couldn’t shag a girl in an alley when Lou was right there now could I?” Aerabella felt tears sting her eyes at the thought of this monster killing Samantha. She might not have been responsible for Rickie’s death, but she was responsible for Sam’s. Liam pulled out a small switch blade, quickly cutting the binding on her hands and ankles before she leapt to her feet. As she stood her ground he simply smiled. “You’re not going to run?”

“No, I’m going to kill you.” She hissed. “I might not have been able to save those girls, but I’ll sure as hell avenge them.” He chuckled at that, the knife dropping to his side. She saw her opportunity and pounced, knocking it out of his hand and into the water. His eyes grew huge as she stepped towards him before he turned and ran. “Get back here!” She roared, racing after him. With his long, lean legs he kept a good distance ahead, but she wasn’t going to lose him. Her legs were begging her to stop and her mind was racing. How long had he been right under her nose, pretending to be Douglas? That’s when it hit her.

If he had been the one who was arrested, then he was the one who had kissed her. But when she’d told Douglas he’d acted as if he already knew. She clenched her jaw, pushing her exhausted legs even harder. Douglas had known all along it was Liam, but he hadn’t breathed a word to her. He didn’t trust her at all. If he had just told her they could have found Liam together, but he had been a typical fed, he wasn’t different at all.

Finally she saw Liam vanish into a warehouse and quickly followed, shutting the door behind her so he couldn’t escape. “It’s all over Payne!” She hollered. “Come out and face it!”

“Oh it isn’t over Elle.” He cooed, walking out from the shadows. The smirk on her face made her stomach roll, she’d walked right into a trap. A loud clap of thunder shook the small, dark warehouse as rain poured outside. Aerabella shakily stood, glaring down Liam as he stood before her. A sick smile spread over his lips as he looked at her. Her brown hair had fallen out and was framing her lovely face as his cold eyes hungrily raked over her body. She tried to stay calm and remember what they’d taught at the academy about being taken hostage. The biggest was not to panic, even with this completely beautiful psychopath standing in front of her.

“You’ll never get away with this.” She growled. She took a step towards him. At the slight movement he whipped out his gun, aiming it right in her face with a speed that made her know that this wasn’t the first time he’d done this.

“I sincerely doubt that love.” He whispered. A flash of lightning illuminated the dark room as bright as day for an instant before it fell back into darkness. She should have known this was a trap, that he wouldn’t have given up everything so easily. She fought her body’s exhaustion and stood tall, glaring him down.

“Someone will figure it out, just like I did.”

“It’s not that I’m worried about Elle.” He chuckled. “Even if someone figures it out, no one’s going to take me down. I’m untouchable.”

“You’re a sick fuck is what you are!” She spat, her brown eyes narrowing into slits. “Think of what the others will do if they find out. They’ll hate you, when everyone stops liking the band they’ll blame you.” He stepped towards her, backing her into the wall and pressing his toned body against her. The whole place around them smelled faintly of ashes, but he smelled delicious. She finally recognized it as the same cologne Douglas wore, how many times had he fooled her? How many times had she given away valuable information to Douglas’ doppelganger?

“We both know that he’s the only one you’re worried about. I bet he won’t even miss you when I kill you. He’ll just find another bird to chase and forget all about you.” He smirked as he pressed the cold steel of his gun into her temple. “You love him, you let your little emotions get in the way and it and now you’re going to die.” He whispered in her ear, his voice husky.

“If you’re going to kill me then just do it.” She snapped. He smirked again and let his free hand wrap one of her thighs around his waist.

“No, I think I’m going to make your death nice and slow. Make sure I get everything I want out of you first Elle dear.”

“He’ll end this; even if you kill me he’ll still stop you.”

“And what makes you think that?” He said, a smile still spread over his face as he let his gaze fall briefly to her lips before staring into her eyes again.

“Because he knew from the very beginning it was you.” She pressed her lips together, if he had just told her, trusted her, then she wouldn’t be in this mess. “And he’ll choose avenging me over protecting you.” With that something snapped as he took a step back from her and his smile turned into a scowl.

“He would never just give me up, not in a thousand years.”

“And what makes you think that?” She said, mocking him.

“You’re on thin ice Haddock.” He growled. She smiled; she had him right where she wanted him. If she was killed then he would turn him in, he would avenge her and get justice for all those she couldn’t.

“What happened to Elle?” She asked, smirking at him. She heard the click as he pulled the hammer back, his eyes now narrowed into slits as he glared at her in the dark lighting. She knew how much it hurt to be shot and just hoped it was a clean one. A through and through into the chest that took out her heart and was quick and painless. “He’ll avenge me, you’ll see.” She whispered. “Because I’m not a monster like you.”

That was the last straw. The whole world seemed to slow down as she saw his finger squeeze the trigger and her life flashed before her. She let her eyes slip shut and just wished she could have told him goodbye. As a clap of thunder shook the small room he fired.

No one even heard the gunshot as it echoed against the walls. Aerabella closed her eyes, only to hear a grunt of pain. She opened them back up to see Douglas on the ground, gripping his shoulder. “Douglas!” She hollered, dropping to his knees and holding him. It looked like the bullet had hit below his collarbone, and she prayed it hadn’t hit the top of his lung. He reached up, cradling her face in his hand.

“Thank God you’re alright.” He said, his words, followed by a hiss of pain.

“I am, thanks to you.” She whispered.

“Aw, how adorable.” They both looked up to see Liam pretending to gag as he kept the gun pointed at them. “You two are disgusting. But, at least you get a Romeo and Juliet ending.” Douglas chuckled.

“Not quite.” Liam narrowed his eyes before a gunshot rung out and he screamed in pain, his gun clattering to the floor. They all three looked to the door to see Captain Ross, his gun smoking as four police officers ran inside, grabbing Liam, who was cradling his hand.

“I’ll kill you! I’ll kill you Aerabella Haddock!” He hollered as they handcuffed him, leading him outside. She simply tightened her hold on Douglas as he was escorted outside. Ross made his way over to the two of them, quickly speaking into his walkie talkie as he did so. “I have an officer down, I need a medic team over here ASAP.” There was a static filled reply as he kneeled down next to Aerabella and Douglas. “How are you holding up Agent Smith?”

“How?” Douglas started, but Ross simply chuckled.

“What kind of police chief doesn’t know when SOCA agents are prowling around his city? I tracked down your little buddies and after a few hours of questioning they finally cracked.”

“How did you know they weren’t FBI?” Douglas asked.

“I checked. It just so happens I have a very good friend at the Seattle base and he said there were no agents sent to release Liam Payne from custody.” He looked from Haddock to Smith. “I’ll go check that medical team. Haddock, you stay here with him.”

“Yes sir.” She said. He stood to leave, but stopped and turned back.

“And Haddock?”

“Yes?”

“Good work.” She smiled at that before turning her attention back to Douglas and giving him a small kiss. She pressed down on the gunshot wound, desperate to stop the bleeding and he groaned. She bit her lip, looking at him.

“Douglas.”

“Yeah?”

“How did you find me?”

“I might have…” He stopped, pressing his lips together before mumbling the rest.

“You might have what?” His eyes sheepishly met hers.

“Put a tracker on you after we slept together.” He repeated. “I slipped sleeping pills into your coffee when you weren’t looking, that’s why you fell asleep so quickly. Then I put the tracker on you.”

“Where?” He reached out, taking her hand and flipping it over to show her the small puncture wound on her wrist. She narrowed her eyes at him. “Fucking feds. How do I get it out?” He smiled at her.

“You don’t. Got to keep tabs on a girl like you.” She smiled, but her face dropped as his eyes started to roll back in his head.

“Douglas?” His eyes slipped closed, his head falling back. “DOUGLAS!” She screamed. She turned to the warehouse door where Ross stood. “I need a medic!”

Aerabella sat in the waiting room of the hospital, her stomach feeling like it was made out of lead. Douglas had been in surgery for six hours and she didn’t know how much longer she could wait before she lost her mind. Ross had gone back to the station to process Liam, so she was sitting in the waiting room completely alone. Then a small giggle broke her from her thoughts. She whipped her head around to see Rickie smiling at her, but she was seventeen, right before she’d died.

“Rickie?” She asked, standing and walking over to her.

“Hello Ella.” She whispered.

“What are you doing here?” Rickie smiled, wrapping her sister in a hug.

“I came to tell you that I forgive you. You saved a lot of women today, and you let a lot of others rest in peace.”

“What about you?” She asked.

“I’ll be heading out pretty soon too. Samuel committed suicide, I guess the guilt finally got to him. He confessed in his note to killing me.” She smiled. “So I have no more reason to stay.”

“But I let you down Rickie, I couldn’t convict him.”

“You could never let me down.” She whispered. “I love you Ella.”Aerabella teared up.

“I love you too.” Then she blinked and Rickie was gone.

“Who do you love?” Aerabella opened her eyes at the familiar Irish brogue to see Niall and Zayn standing in front of her. Aerabella blushed lightly.

“Nothing I just…” She looked back to where Rickie had been only moments ago. “I was just talking to myself.”

“Is Liam…Douglas…Whoever the bloody Hell he is, is he out of surgery yet?” Zayn asked. Aerabella shook her head. “Christ.”

“Tell me about it.” She said, sitting back down.

“Well at least now you have some company.” Niall said, grinning as he sat beside her. They were all quiet for a moment before she spoke.

“Where are Styles and Tomlinson?”

“Probably trying to get over the fact that their best friend was actually a serial killer.” Zayn answered. “That, and they knew you’d be here, so they opted not to come.” Aerabella nodded. She hadn’t expected Louis and Harry to like her after she’d prosecuted them so mercilessly. She was actually surprised Zayn was here.

“So, how did you get out of those handcuffs?” She asked. Zayn smirked at her.

“I guess you’ll just have to use them again and find out.” He said, sitting down on the other side of her. The three of them waited another two hours before a doctor walked out, a grim expression on his face.

“I suppose you all are here for Mr. Smith?” He asked.

“Yes.” Aerabella quickly answered, her heart smacking painfully against her ribs with every beat. The doctor looked at her and she felt her stomach drop into the floor.

“Well, I’m sorry to inform you, but he’s passed away.” Tears stung at Aerabella’s eyes.

“How?”

“Massive blood loss; and the bullet hit his lung and punctured it. We did our best but he didn’t make it.” Aerabella looked at him, tears spilling over her cheeks.

“No.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Figued if the world's going to end you should know who did it
But anyways,
I was so excited that no one had guessed it was the real Liam
then some of you had to ruin it.
Jerks.
Maybe Douglas is dead because of you.
(Not really, kudos to you for being smart and all that jazz)
Next chapter is the epilogue,
then this is all over
and I will cry

All my love
-LS