Status: 'Tis the season (almost-but that's good enough)

The Magic of Macy's

A Date With ***.

Three weeks later, my life was about the same as Black Friday: “And what are you asking for for Christmas?” I asked in the most uninterested way possible.

But that didn’t slow the kid down. He rattled off everything he wanted from Santa Claus and I couldn’t imagine anyone needing that much crap, especially an ungrateful eight year old boy. This had to be the last year for the ‘Santa is real’ crap because he was a little old for it. And boy was he in for a rude awakening.

“Wow, Halo 4?” I tapped my chin, “That’s interesting. I’ll see what Saint Nick can do. Next!”

Lucy Ferrell, please report to Mr. Comb’s office.” A voice droned over the intercom, “Lucy Ferrell, please report to Mr. Comb’s office.

I wasn’t sure whether I should be relieved because I didn’t have to pretend to care what children wanted for Christmas or annoyed that Dick wanted me.

Either way, I ditched the line of kids and some other poor bastard had to run and take my place. Dick’s office was on the top floor, surrounded by glass and a breathtaking view of the city. If I ever suffered from a concussion and decided to pursue a career in Macy’s, I would do it for an office like Dick’s. I had to take the speedy elevator up. Even the elevator music was replaced by monotonous Christmas tunes.

The metal doors popped open and I was released onto the pristine level of offices, clean without a notice out of place. My dumb shoes jingled lightly on the quiet floor. All the doors were shut, their inhabitants talking on the phone to other companies or bigger bosses. Dick’s office was smack dab in the middle of the row. I knocked twice on the mahogany door with his name plaque in large, square letters: Richard Combs.

“Come on in!” His cheery voice called. I got my eye roll out and pushed open the door. My nostrils were raped by the intense smell of cocoa and peppermint. I coughed a bit and shut the door, only breathing through my mouth. “Lucy, thanks for coming in!”

“The intercom called me. I didn’t really have any other choice.” I muttered distractedly. In the corner of his office was an enormous Douglas fir, decorated extravagantly with presents wrapped neatly under.

Dick glanced over at the tree with a prideful smile on his face. “The kids helped me decorate it. We made a great afternoon out of it.”

“Oh,” I said. We were getting into private information territory. I didn’t want to know anything about Dick outside of that he was my boss. I didn’t want to know he and his kids dressed large Christmas trees and made afternoons out of it. They probably drank cocoa and peppermint. It was probably really sweet and Dick probably shouted that it was a, “super, duper Macy’s Christmas tree”. I shook my head, I needed to stop thinking. “What do you need, Dick?”

He took in a deep breath and I thought for one glorious moment that I was being fired. “Why don’t you take a seat?” He offered.

“I’m good.” I needed to be standing so I could dance with super, duper Macy’s Christmas cheer at the news.

“Well, as I’m sure you remember a few weeks ago when we spoke to that adorable little Dory girl,” This wasn’t going to way I planned. Dory? Who was Dory? Did I make her cry? That had to be it. “She wanted One Direction for Christmas and I told her they were coming.” No, this definitely wasn’t going the way I planned.

“And they’re not coming now?” I asked hopefully.

“No, no, it’s not that.” Dick waved quickly, “They’re coming. I just got off the phone with their manager and they’ve made a…unusual request.” He seemed nervous. His brown eyes were wide and anxious.

Maybe I should have sat down. I quickly slid into the open, leather chair, waiting for Dick to go on.

“They’ve requested that you,” He paused as if this was paining him to say, “chaperone them around town and keep them company while they’re in the city.”

What?”I demanded, leaning in.

“That’s exactly what I said.” Dick sighed, rubbing his usually bright face, “I told them we had many more employees who exemplified the super, duper Macy’s cheer better than you and would be much better fits. They seemed pretty insistent that you were the one they wanted.”

“Well, I—as offensively as possible—decline.” I stood up with a huff, straightening my stupid elf hat.

“I’m afraid we don’t have a choice.” Dick said mournfully. “They’re coming here tomorrow night and are expecting you to accompany them to a nice dinner on the town. I expect you to be on your best behavior. Try to scrounge up a little super, duper, Macy’s cheer.” I could almost hear his unspoken ‘you’re our only hope’.

I scowled, throwing open the door. “Tomorrow’s my day off!”

“Looks like you’re doing some overtime.” Dick called helplessly after me. I let out a furious scream in the hall and a few suits peered out their window in concern. I stomped down the hall, jingling furiously. The door to Dick’s office opened and he continued to berate me, “And for the love of all that is Macy’s, be on your best behavior!”

“I’m always on my best behavior!” I shouted back, pouting in the elevator.

“Good, God,” Dick muttered, shaking his head, “I sure hope that’s another one of your overly sarcastic jokes.”

I clenched my jaw, sliding down the building in the steel box. I deserved a cigarette break. And I didn’t even smoke.

I stormed directly into the break room, still fuming. Sebastian was in there, snacking on his lunch, watching me expectantly. “Did Dick give you a super, duper Macy’s pep talk?”

“Worse.” I growled, snatching the coffee off the counter and pouring myself a cup. Sebastian laughed, shaking his head. “One Direction’s coming again.” I spat.

Sebastian dropped his sandwich and eyed me carefully. “And he wanted to give you a heads up? Does he even know—?”

“Of course he doesn’t know about me and Niall.” I said quickly, “But they’re insisting that I be their little bitch for the course of their stay. Honestly,” I scoffed, “the nerve on those assholes.”

Sebastian shrugged sympathetically. “Well, maybe he wants to make it up to you?”

“Or maybe he just wants to be a giant pain in my ass and have another round.” I glared, pouring the scalding coffee down my throat.

Sebastian pursed his lips. “Try not to kill him. I hear he’s important to the female population.”

“Fuck you,” I said mechanically. “I’m not going to kill him with anything but kindness. As far as I’m concerned, last year never happened.” I told him with wild hands, laughing manically as I made my way out the door, “It never happened!”

“Okay,” Sebastian said skeptically into his cup. “Whatever you say, Luce.”

I popped my head back in the door, “It never happened, Seb.”

“You said that.” He raised his cup to me. “Have fun with that though.”

I glared and slammed the door behind me. I was going to do it. I was going to pretend like I had never met Niall Horan, and Sebastian was going to feel foolish for not believing me. I could set aside my bitterness for—what was it, a week? Well, for however long One Direction was in the city, I could do it.

I turned away from the door, taking in a deep, calming breath. Relaxing myself, I opened my eyes, only to have two, familiar blue eyes grinning back at me. “Hey, Luce.”

“Die,” I muttered, slipping back into the break room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Niall has made his first appearance (;
Sorry for the lack of updates. I was trying to finish up my Harry Styles story. But, I'm back! Yippee. Thanks so much for the comments Random2Friends, ThoughtWeWereDancing, Zee's Lost Her Wits!, & S A M .! And keep subbing and reccing (: