Status: Active!!

Releasing the Demons

I'm Going Instead

"Matt is a fucking idiot!" I said as we walked into our hotel room.

"Layla, he's just trying to help all of us. He did save us from the brain eaters remember?"

"We could've handled them." I said taking off Jake and Ruby's packs that were strapped to their backs.

"There was too many of them that day Lay. You know deep down that we couldn't beat them." I stayed silent knowing she was right. There were a lot of them on the road that day...damnit I hate when she's right. I went out onto the balcony and sat down in a folding chair I had placed there and I lit up a refreshing cancer stick. The smoke seeped out of my parted lips and up into the darkening sky. I don't want Eve nor Ruby going back out to that damn truck.

I just cant seem to shake the uneasy feeling I get about the idea of even going out there again after what Eve told me. I scraped the red embers off of the end of my cigarette and placed it back into my pack. As much as I hate it, I need to talk to Matt about going to the truck. I got up from my seat and went back into the room where Eve was checking here bag for something to sleep in. I grabbed my sniper rifle and threw it over my shoulder.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to see Matt and tell him that I'm going out to the truck instead of you." I said and Jake looked up at me as Ruby kept on snoozing.

"You don't have to take my place Lay. I can go out there again."

"I know you can but I don't want you too. You're my best friend and you know how I am about speaking my feelings but...I hate to think that this bad feeling I have about going out there is centered on you." I said truthfully as I looked away from here and down at my dogs. I always look away when I'm nervous about speaking my true feelings. I have no idea why I do it.

Eve smiled at me and quietly patted my leg as I opened the door. Jake followed me out of the room and I shut the door quietly not wanting to disturb anyone. I walked down the hallway with Jake right at my side until I got to Matt's door. I knocked somewhat quietly and I could hear footsteps coming to the door before the clicking sound of the door being unlocked. The large door opened and Brian stood there.

"Hey...uh is Matt in there?"

"Yeah come on in." he said with a friendly smile. I walked in with Jake and spotted Matt with his son in the small kitchen area.

"Layla, what are you doing here?"

"I need to talk to you about going to the truck." I said and Matt gave Brian a look that said to take his son to another room.

"I've already heard what you had to say about it but I'm not changing my mind."

"That's not why I'm here. When you all go out to the truck, I'm taking Eve's place." I said and he raised his eyebrows.

"What made you want to do that?"

"Eve had her go at the truck and I thought I could be some better help to you if those fucks show up again." I said as Jake looked around the room.

"If you think that's what you want to do. You're more than welcome to come along but you listen to me. If I say get out of there, you get out. You don't do something stupid like Zacky did."

"What Zacky did was trying to save your asses while you grabbed what you could. He created the diversion and I actually think it was a smart move." I retorted. He shook his head and the room filled with an awkward silence as if he was thinking about what I said.

"You're right. That was smart move."

"Well...I'll see you in the morning." I said going to the door without a second glance or saying anything. Jake was right behind me the whole way back to the room. We walked in and he laid right back down and I could hear soft snores coming from the bedroom. I went back out onto the balcony and lit up my half smoked cigarette. I know for the next few days I'll be preparing for the trip and I hope to god nothing goes wrong and the bad feelings I'm having go away.
♠ ♠ ♠
NEW CHAPTER!!! comment comment comment!!!!